Aspire AZ1620 all-in-one absolutely will not boot Linux or FreeBSD installed on the hard disk-

Options
2»

Answers

• N8lbv
    N8lbv Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
    edited May 2023
    Options

If I reboot (from the USB) single user from the install media-
    And re-run efimootmgr -v

It is now only showing two lines for the USB drive.

• N8lbv
    edited May 2023
    Options

It is only showing the USB drive..
    After a reboot into single user mode from the install media.

• N8lbv
    Options

Right after install (no reboot)
    This line is present:
    Boot0000* UEFI: P0: ST3500413AS BBS(0x11,,0x0)
    But after a reboot into the installer/rescue. It is not there,
    But see two lines pertaining to the USB boot drive that was booted.
    Gpart show
    Sees the hard disk the efi partition (1)
    the freebsd swap partition (2)
    and main zfs partition (3)

• N8lbv
    Options

This looks severely stripped down and "different" than looking at this on a working system.

BootOrder : 0001, 0000, 0002, 0003
    +Boot0001* EFI SCSI Device AcpiEx(@@@0000,@@@0000,0x0,VMBus,,)/VenHw(9b17e5a2-0891-42dd-b653-80b5c22809ba,d96361baa104294db60572e2ffb1dc7f45888c6288ae4a4c8fb04de741b11ace)/Scsi(0x0,0x0)

• N8lbv
    Options

That's a VM.
    Maybe a little cleaner on this other working system - actual hardware:
    +Boot0005* UEFI OS HD(1,GPT,aa6a497f-aba6-11e9-bd85-000ec4d2386d,0x28,0x64000)/File(\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI)
    ada0p1:/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI (null)

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options

Ay so thats the same bug as we see on the laptops, it hasnt written the GPT boot info at all for some reason. I'd love to know why it does that, it may have been a bug or a non comformity with the RFC in the older UEFI's they built but thats a total guess (if by chance any acer engineer sees this reach out and let me know ;) )

Folowing step three, then re listing should force it in, but if it doesnt i would be a bit stumped :( if you try it, re list the boots using efi bootmgr, and then if its not there run dmesg i could have a look through see if anything stands out

• N8lbv
    Options

I am using FreeBSD14 / PFSense installer.

It creates the EFI partition on partition 1.
    I can mount it and see the files in it.

/efi

/efi/boot

/efi/freebsd

/efi/boot/boot64.efi

/efi/freebsd/loader.efi

So I think I am answering your question and yes the installer appears to be writing the "Uefi boot stuff" in there.

• N8lbv
    Options

Step 3 involves grub or grub-install.

These are not present in PFSense or FreeBSD14 installer state.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

I responded to your other thread, it's best to only open one thread when asking a question. I'll ask the moderators to remove the other. In the Authentication tab in the BIOS yo have to change the Secure Boot Mode to custom if you want to disable Secure Boot, but that's not needed in order to install Linux. Make sure you don't have CSM enabled and you also have the Boot Menu enabled. The Linux installer shouldn't have any issues finding the drive since the system doesn't have iRST on that 2nd gen machine. Once the install has completed you will likely have to use the F12 boot menu to select the Linux boot image written in that last step you are mentioning in that last message.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • N8lbv
    Options

Other thread?
    No there is no other thread .
    Got a link?
    I think you might have jumped tracks here sir.
    :)

• N8lbv
    Answer ✓
    Options

Update:
    Well I somehow got it to work.But I did too many things at once to know what made it work.
    First I did a clean install of FreeBSD14 and this actually worked!

Then I did a PFSense install but manually partitioned and used UFS instead of zfs , also changed the size of the efi partiton to 100MB instead of the auto default of 240 (or 260). WHcih to mee seems too big for some reason.. or I'm just comparing to what windows always set its size to.

I need to wipe the disk clean an try this again.. and determine exactly what is making it work when I either manually partition, or install FreeBSD leaving some kind of a remnant / efi thing.

But I now have it booting PFsense 2.7.0-dev which was the original goal.

• N8lbv
    Options

Note: this bios is also refusing to boot MBR if I do an MBR install.
    But it sounds like I need to try this step 3.
    I'm not that experenced in dealing with UEFI.
    But I can figure out anything.
    Also I have installed this on well over a hundred systems and never had a problem like this.
    It usually just works.
    PFSense by defauly installs a "UEFI+BIOS" install that will boot in just about anything.
    However you can easily specify at install time to ONLY install UEFI/GPT or MBR alone. and a few other interesting combinations.
    One of them is called "Lenovo UEFI fix".

I of course have tried every single available option.
    And get the same result with each.
    Installed witout error or issue but hard dis is not bootable by the bios.
    I even tried clover-boot… clover does nto see the hard disk as a bootable option..
    Probably due to as you said.. the stuff not actually being written.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Does the same problem occur when you try to install another linux distribution?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • N8lbv
    Options

Note: this bios is also refusing to boot MBR if I do an MBR install.
    But it sounds like I need to try this step 3.
    I'm not that experienced in dealing with UEFI.
    But I can figure out anything.
    Also I have installed this on well over a hundred systems and never had a problem like this.
    It usually just works.
    PFSense by defauly installs a "UEFI+BIOS" install that will boot in just about anything.
    However you can easily specify at install time to ONLY install UEFI/GPT or MBR alone. and a few other interesting combinations.
    One of them is called "Lenovo UEFI fix".

I of course have tried every single available option.
    And get the same result with each.
    Installed witout error or issue but hard dis is not bootable by the bios.
    I even tried clover-boot… clover does nto see the hard disk as a bootable option..
    Probably due to as you said.. the stuff not actually being written.

Other thread?
    What other thread?
    New user here and have only started one single thread since I signed up.
    Got a link?

@egydiocoelho FreeBSD14 installs and boots UEFI just fine. (I just found that out more recently).
    I did not try any Linux yet.
    But this is making headway. PFSense also installs FreeBSD14 but has the boot problem.
    I was able to get PFSense to boot after manually partitioning a smaller efi partition (100MB) and using UFS instead of ZFS.
    I have not yet narrowed down what the fix actually is.
    But it is pointing toward a problem with PFSense automatic use the entire disk install option.
    I am not yet very familiar with UEFI I am learning.
    I am having a similar problem installing PFSENSE on an OLD Dell 2010 server that has an implementation of UEFI.
    It does not boot but I can browse the .efi files and load them. from the Dell UEFI boot menu/utility.
    It's weird. :)

:) :)

We have another guy in here replying to the wrong thread @billsey
    Great advice but does not apply to this thread :)
    Thanks.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Surprisingly there were two people with the same exact question about the same old model on the same day, but apparently you were only one of those people. Are you sure the drive is fully functional? If the drive is throwing SMART errors it might not allow writes. As you initially expected the install for any reasonably current flavor of Linux should just work. You shouldn't be doing anything except UEFI and if you aren't going to run Windows on the machine at all you just have the installer wipe any existing partitions and install into the unallocated space.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options

Nice :D well done on figurng out that weirdness with the parition size :s i would never have even thought to try that