Aspire AZ1620 all-in-one absolutely will not boot Linux or FreeBSD installed on the hard disk-

N8lbv
N8lbv Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter

But can install Windows on the hard disk and it boots that.
I have tried EVERYTHING.
I have updated the bios to the latest "BIOS Linux UEFI WIndows"
as is abvailable on this page —→ https://www.acer.com/us-en/support?search=AZ1620&filter=global_download&suggest=az1620;0

Nothing works, Linux or FreeBSD instal witout errors and I have tried installing UEFI/GPT and BIOS/MBR.
can install either but the bios will not see and boot the hard disk unless it has windows installed on it.

MANY post say t oset a supervisor password in the bios and thrin off secure boot.
THIS DOES NOT WORK
After setting supervisor password there is no new option to disable secure boot. or any change in available settings.

There are no options in the bios to enable or disable secure boot.

And it is acting like it only supports booting Widows on the hard disk with no option to change this.
Incredibly frustrating
Even the bios page says "Linux" which absolute does not work.

This All in one was a customers choice.
I am so incredibly sorry I was not there to advise them NEVER to buy this kind of garbage that intentionally does not support booting Linux.

I have never in years had this kind of problem with other computer equipment.
And I never will again.

Linux and FreeBSD installers see the hard disk just fine and fully install MBR or UEFI.
This piece of ***** bios (intentionally) will not boot it.
And any options seen in other posts to enable or disable secure boot do not apply to this particular model and every version of bios I have tried on it.

It currently has the latest from the ACER website :

• Date:2012/02/06
  • Version:P01.B0L
  • Vendor:Acer

Size:2.45 MB

Factory default /reset

Adding a supervisor password + resetting power cycling does not add or make available any secure boot or UEFI related options.

Thanks!!

Best Answer

• N8lbv
    Answer ✓

Update:
    Well I somehow got it to work.But I did too many things at once to know what made it work.
    First I did a clean install of FreeBSD14 and this actually worked!

Then I did a PFSense install but manually partitioned and used UFS instead of zfs , also changed the size of the efi partiton to 100MB instead of the auto default of 240 (or 260). WHcih to mee seems too big for some reason.. or I'm just comparing to what windows always set its size to.

I need to wipe the disk clean an try this again.. and determine exactly what is making it work when I either manually partition, or install FreeBSD leaving some kind of a remnant / efi thing.

But I now have it booting PFsense 2.7.0-dev which was the original goal.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer

Choose a Linux Distribution That Supports Secure Boot: Modern versions of Ubuntu — starting with Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS and 12.10 — will boot and install normally on most PCs with Secure Boot enabled. This is because Ubuntu’s first-stage EFI boot loader is signed by Microsoft. However, a Ubuntu developer notes that Ubuntu’s boot loader isn’t signed with a key that’s required by Microsoft’s certification process, but simply a key Microsoft says is “recommended.” This means that Ubuntu may not boot on all UEFI PCs. Users may have to disable Secure Boot to use Ubuntu on some PCs.

Have a look at this guide How to Boot and Install Linux on a UEFI PC With Secure Boot as you must have done something wrong, as there should be no problems installing the latest Linux or FreeBSD on the Aspire AZ1620 AIO, it has all the hardware specs required and even a specific bios for the Linux OS, the bios Version: P11.A4L - titled: BIOS for Linux - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades) " of this AIO that should work, also check if the SATA III HDD is fully operational and hasn't got any errors, as that could be a factor also. Please don't put Acer down as this AIO operates with Linux, do full research as I've installed Linux on lower spec PC than your Aspire AZ1620 AIO and they all worked perfectly.

• N8lbv

Thank you for the reply.
    I really don't think I am "doing anything wrong".
    1- there is no way to turn off secure boot in this bios, nor is there a way to see if it is enabled or disabled.
    bios Version: P11.A4L - titled: BIOS for Linux - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades)
    Does not work on this hardware, it gives an error that the flash chip type does not match.

2- I can flash:

Date: 2012/02/06
    Version: P01.B0L
    Vendor: Acer
    Size: 2.45 MB

But have same exact problems stated in the post.
    I am currently trying to install FREEBSD 14
    And PFSEnse 2.7.0DEV which is on FREEBSD 14 (current).

It very clearly refuses to boot this no matte what I have tried.
    And it refuses to boot MBR. as well if I install the OS as MBR.

There are NO options to disable secure boot and there really should be.

Also the fact that it somehow "needs" to have a special bios just for Linux is indicative something is wrong in itself.
    If the "standard" bios cannot be used.

• N8lbv

None of the "A." bios will flash get chip type. does not match error.

Only the .BO and .BOL actually flash.

These are both 'newer' and dated in 2012.
    The motherboard original bios was dated in 2011 and also did not work.
    No secure boot related options same refusable to boot a freshly installed Linux or FreeBSD 14 on the hard disk.

I cannot tell any difference with the newer bios or if the Linuix or non-linux versions are flashed onto the motherboard.
    Same results with old bios (from 2011) and either of the newer 2012 dated bios Linux or not Linux.

I can install the OS (either as MBR or UEFI) and the bios refuses to boot the sata hard disk. and treats it/shows it as non-bootable.

• N8lbv

The website does not list anything abotu the .A or .B bios and what they are for.
    It simply gives a list of 5 different bios downloads.
    And I have tried every one of them.
    The .B are flashable the .A are not.
    Exact model number of the all in one is AZ1620-UR30P
    I have no record of what the original dated 2011 was, and it is not available on the website.
    But that also did nto work in the same way.

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder

its nothing you are doing, its just the acer bootloader can be a bit er special sometimes aha

Is Grub writing the Uefi boot stuff into the drive? Sometimes it doesnt like to play and write it to the loader ever though it says it does.

• What are the options that appear when you click here?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • N8lbv

Also thanks!
    I am getting FAR more help and response here than I ever expected.
    I kind posted a rant just expecting that to be the last of it here.
    Sorry.

• N8lbv

The installer is writing all of the Uefi stuff.
    I detailed this in a reply but it is gone.
    I am not sure why.
    I mounted the EFI partition (partition1) and the stuff is in there and looks normal.

• N8lbv

Intel EIST
    Intel XD Bit
    Intel VT
    Video Memory Size
    DVMT Memory Size

• Is there an option in the bios to change sata mode to ahci or ide?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • N8lbv

Looks to be there after the installer runs:

Partition 1 GPT/efi partition on sata hard drive
    Mounted and browsing - have
    /efi

/efi/boot
    /efi.boot/bootx64.efi

/efi/freebsd
    /efi/freebsd/loader.efi

• N8lbv

Yes there is.
    I would normally never use this.
    Are you suggesting this will fix something or disable secureboot or allow an MBR install to boot?

• Is there an option in the bios to change sata mode to ahci or ide?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• N8lbv

Rabit hole.
    Setting this to IDE mode and completely re-installing the OS MBR or UEFI does not result in any change.
    Still will not see that hard drive as bootable.

• N8lbv

"ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed."
    Error on boot attempt is the same on all tests.
    Installer rescue or utility USB boots fine UEFI or MBR and sees the Hard disk just fine and can install the OS. And boot area.

• N8lbv

System refuses to boot any MBR install. and says "Operating system not found" if attempt to boot an MBR install.

• N8lbv

I'm not sure why you'd like a picture of the setting but here it is.
    Also if it helps - you are working with a very experienced computer tech.

Thanks.

I am using FreeBSD14 / PFSense installer.

It creates the EFI partition on partition 1.
    I can mount it and see the files in it.

/efi

/efi/boot

/efi/freebsd

/efi/boot/boot64.efi

/efi/freebsd/loader.efi

So I think I am answering your question and yes the installer appears to be writing the "Uefi boot stuff" in there.

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder

Does pfsense have efibootmgr ? After install before rebooting head into one of the other TTY's and check to see if its being written or not :)

efibootmgr -v

This will show us if its actually writing the boot option or if its just writing the files to disk, on some laptops there have been some weirdness where grub writies to disk but refuses to actually create the bootloader. A couple of peeps have had sucess with forcing it while in the kickstart enviroment by follwing things like this ( https://www.linuxbabe.com/command-line/how-to-use-linux-efibootmgr-examples )

• N8lbv

It does.
    Pertaining to the hard disk on that command I see:

Boot0000* UEFI: P0: ST3500413AS BBS(0x11,,0x0)