Acer Aspire 7 Battery not charging while plugged in

clarkr2
clarkr2 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Hello,

I noticed that my laptop was stuck at 0% for a week or so now. It says "Battery Status: 0% available (plugged in)." While its plugged in, it turns on. But the battery does not charge. As soon as I unplug the power cord, it turns off.

After researching into it a bit, I have tried pretty much everything I could find:

• replaced power cord with new one
  • held power button for 15-30 seconds, 1 min, 2 min, … and waited 15-30 minutes and turned back on
  • held down the battery button with a pin for 15 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, etc.
  • checked batteries in device manager… uninstalled them, updated, etc.
  • Checked for windows updates and updated

I am thinking this happened with an update… but am not completely positive if that is when it started or not. I normally keep my laptop plugged in when I use it until it gets to 100% then I unplug most times and then unplug when not using it. But one day I noticed the battery was completely drained and when I tried to use it without the power cord it just died.

I am on Windows 11.

I have an Acer Aspire 7.

Any help or tips is much appreciated!

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,227 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon

Can you tell us the exact model name? Example A7xx-xx-xxxx.

Please charge the battery for 24 h until charging led keeps blue. Did you check the battery wear with hwinfo?

• clarkr2

Model name, A715-73G-75BW

The led (light bulb icon) is full blue. The one next to it (battery icon) is a very slow blink of orange.

I have not tried hwinfo…how would I go about checking the battery with that?

Thanks!

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,227 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon
    edited March 2023

Download hwinfo and install it. You see the wear level of your battery at the left side of the smart battery menu.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6029997/uploads/KEDS35TRCMEG/ekran-al-c4-b1nt-c4-b1s-c4-b1-png.png

Is the charger working properly? If you have a multimeter, you can check the voltage between the two pins of the charging plug. Should be around 15 V.

• clarkr2

The battery wear level is 0%.

I got a new charger but the laptop still does not charge with the new one.

• Have you tried disconnecting the lithium battery?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,737 Trailblazer

“The battery wear level is 0%” in HWINFO? sounds suspicious to me as the fully charged capacity is always lower than the Designed Capacity for a battery. (and that is how HWINFO determines “Wear”) I would run a Windows Battery Report, type the following command in Command Prompt opened as Administrator

powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\battery_report.html

Double click on the results on your desktop and see if the charge history makes sense, you may also have an incompatible battery model or BIOS SMART issue, check with Acer Support what the part number is for the correct battery for your model and if in doubt get a new battery ($50). Also update/roll back your Windows11 power/battery driver.