Random freeze in my Acer Spin 3 SP313-51N

Options
OleumCacao
OleumCacao Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Hi all,

So I have Acer Spin 3 SP313-51N with Windows 11 OS, 16 GB RAM, Intel i7-1165G7 processor and Intel Iris Xe Graphics. In just 3 days since I purchased, my laptop got random freeze. This freeze made my laptop can't do anything (Ctrl+Alt+Del or open Task Manager), mouse pointer can't be moved, keyboard still could background-lit but nothing worked except for force shutdown. The freeze often happened when I was browsing with Mozilla or/and Chrome or watching YouTube video in full screen. I had done all the stuffs from blog or articles in Google to take the issue away and it solved nothing. FYI, I did not install anything malicious before the random freeze happened.

Then I went to Acer Service Center to solve this problem since I still have warranty. They said that my laptop's SSD got bad sectors so that they changed with the new one. I thought I would gain my laptop back to normal, but no, the freeze kept getting me frustrated.

Uniquely, I can play CS:GO for about 3-4 hours without any freeze happened. I really have no idea whether it is hardware or Windows issue. Anyone have the same issue and get the solution? Really appreciate for any advices. Thanks!

Note: so far what I have done

• Reinstall Windows (but not full wipe out files)

• Update Windows and driver to the latest ones

• Scan disk (sfc /scannow and chkdsk)

• Memory diagnostics check

Actually, I have already posted in another forum and got no solution for this issue.

Best Answer

• OleumCacao

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    UPDATE

My laptop had been repaired by the service center and the main cause is the mainboard
    They replace with the new one and the good thing I am still in warranty period. But I forgot to ask how my mainboard got damaged, maybe somebody here can explain

Now my laptop runs smoothly and until this post was posted, it had run 5 hours without any freeze issue.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,535 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>The freeze often happened when I was browsing with Mozilla or/and Chrome>>>

What happens if you only load FireFox, and never load Chrome during a Windows session?

Jack E/NJ

• OleumCacao

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>The freeze often happened when I was browsing with Mozilla or/and Chrome>>>

What happens if you only load FireFox, and never load Chrome during a Windows session?
    Still the same. I had tested with playing video in Firefox and the freeze still came
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Uniquely, I can play CS:GO for about 3-4 hours without any freeze happened. I really have no idea whether it is hardware or Windows issue. >>>
    >>>I had tested with playing video in Firefox and the freeze still came>>>

What video are you playing that is causing this freeze? Please post the video website so I can take a look at it.

Jack E/NJ

• OleumCacao

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>Uniquely, I can play CS:GO for about 3-4 hours without any freeze happened. I really have no idea whether it is hardware or Windows issue. >>>
    >>>I had tested with playing video in Firefox and the freeze still came>>>

What video are you playing that is causing this freeze? Please post the video website so I can take a look at it.

YouTube video causes this in just few minutes after playing it
    My issue is as same as this guy
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/662112/acer-spin-3-313-51n-random-freezing-win-10-win-11#latest
  • JackE
    Options
    Please, what youtube video are you playing that is causing this freeze? Please post the youtube video website link so I can take a look at it.

Jack E/NJ

• OleumCacao

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Please, what youtube video are you playing that is causing this freeze? Please post the youtube video website link so I can take a look at it.
    Hi Jack,

This is the video link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K--8ihoAV5M

I usually play on 720p 60fps and got freeze, then I try to lower the resolution and the result is... freeze too
  • JackE
    Options
    Is this the only one that freezes?

Jack E/NJ

• OleumCacao

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Is this the only one that freezes?
    No, actually whatever YouTube video it is makes the freeze appear 
  • JackE
    Options
    About how long does it  take before the video freezes? A minute? 15 minutes? An hour?

Jack E/NJ

• OleumCacao

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    About how long does it  take before the video freezes? A minute? 15 minutes? An hour?
    Just like the title of this thread: random.
    Sometimes 15 minutes, 40 minutes, 1 hour with freeze trigger on (surf internet with chrome/firefox, watch youtube video, open design software) and never last more than 2 hours

Recently I installed updated version of my graphic driver and unfortunately still no good progress
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    OK, so we know it only appear when playing a video, after a random time and it happens without regard to the actual video. That sounds like a video driver issue. You have an 11th gen chipset with the Iris Xe graphics right? Which version of the GPU drivers are running? I have a Spin with the 10th gen chipset and Iris Plus graphics on Windows 11 and the driver version I'm on is 30.0.101.1660. I would expect the build number (1660 in my case) is likely to be different for you, but the rest should be similar. You can view the version number in Device Manager; Display Adapters, choose yours and bring up Properties then look at the drivers tab.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Sometimes 15 minutes, 40 minutes, 1 hour with freeze trigger on (surf internet with chrome/firefox, watch youtube video, open design software) and never last more than 2 hours>>>

OK. Does it ever happen in 5 minutes? 10 minutes. In other words, it always at least 15 minutes or more?

Jack E/NJ

• OleumCacao

Tinkerer

edited May 2022
    Options
    billsey said:
    OK, so we know it only appear when playing a video, after a random time and it happens without regard to the actual video. That sounds like a video driver issue. You have an 11th gen chipset with the Iris Xe graphics right? Which version of the GPU drivers are running? I have a Spin with the 10th gen chipset and Iris Plus graphics on Windows 11 and the driver version I'm on is 30.0.101.1660. I would expect the build number (1660 in my case) is likely to be different for you, but the rest should be similar. You can view the version number in Device Manager; Display Adapters, choose yours and bring up Properties then look at the drivers tab.
    Yes, yesterday I updated to the latest graphic driver and looks same as yours but freeze issue still come. My guess also goes to my graphic driver.

Must I install this one? 
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19387/intel-graphics-beta-windows-dch-drivers.html

Here is my graphic driver details in Device Manager

• OleumCacao

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>Sometimes 15 minutes, 40 minutes, 1 hour with freeze trigger on (surf internet with chrome/firefox, watch youtube video, open design software) and never last more than 2 hours>>>

OK. Does it ever happen in 5 minutes? 10 minutes. In other words, it always at least 15 minutes or more?
    Yes it does
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>3 days since I purchased, my laptop got random freeze. >>>Reinstall Windows (but not full wipe out files)>>>

The best way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue is a full erase everything ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset. If the problem persists, immediately return the machine as defective to the seller for a refund or exchange before the vendor's return merchandise authorization (RMA) period expires..Usually only a week or two.

Jack E/NJ

• OleumCacao

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>3 days since I purchased, my laptop got random freeze. >>>Reinstall Windows (but not full wipe out files)>>>

The best way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue is a full erase everything ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset. If the problem persists, immediately return the machine as defective to the seller for a refund or exchange before the vendor's return merchandise authorization (RMA) period expires..Usually only a week or two.

Actually when my laptop was still being checked by service center, it had already been factory reset with full wiping out my files as well. Sadly, that authorization had expired as the due date just last 3 days and the issue happened on the same day lol. Thank you for your response!

I decide to bring it back to service center for another checking and give some notes to the technician so he knows more details about the issue.

I will re-update for further progress
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I decide to bring it back to service center for another checking and give some notes to the technician so he knows more details about the issue. I will re-update for further progress >>>

I think that is best plan under the circumstances. If another factory reset is tried, you might ask the technician to disable WIFI or internet connections and test just in case an errant Windows update might be causing the issue.

Jack E/NJ

• OleumCacao

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>I decide to bring it back to service center for another checking and give some notes to the technician so he knows more details about the issue. I will re-update for further progress >>>

I think that is best plan under the circumstances. If another factory reset is tried, you might ask the technician to disable WIFI or internet connections and test just in case an errant Windows update might be causing the issue.
    Oh yes well noted about the Windows update, thanks for reminding me!
  • OleumCacao

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    UPDATE

My laptop had been repaired by the service center and the main cause is the mainboard
    They replace with the new one and the good thing I am still in warranty period. But I forgot to ask how my mainboard got damaged, maybe somebody here can explain

Now my laptop runs smoothly and until this post was posted, it had run 5 hours without any freeze issue.
  • JackE
    Options
    Thanks for reporting back on the repair. :)

Jack E/NJ