Acer Spin 3 313-51N random freezing win 10 / win 11

Options
Marksmith34
Marksmith34 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited March 2022 in Windows 11
I have an Acer Spin 3 313-51N. It has 8GB RAM 500GB SSD. It had windows 10 installed but would randomly freeze. I've upgraded to Win 11 but the freezing is still the same.
The freezing is random. It's usually just sat playing Spotify through Edge browser or playing iTunes. The freezing could be after a couple of minutes or hours. There doesn't seem to be any pattern. The screen just freezes, sound output stops, if you press a key the keyboard illuminates, but that's it. The only way out is to hold the power button and reset. It's all then ok until the next freeze.
I've tried battery power only and using the PSU, still the same. Also tried pressing the reset button under the laptop.
Windows reliability monitor just shows 'windows was not properly shut down', no other details.
I'm not sure what else i can do to troubleshoot this?

[​//Edited the content to add model name]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,838 Trailblazer
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Does Event Viewer show anything timed to match the freeze? Does it still happen if you boot into safe mode?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Marksmith34

Tinkerer

Options
    Sorry it's taken a while to reply, still trying lots of things.
    Safe boot works fine, runs for hours with no issues. I then restarted normally and it crashed in about 10 minutes.
    I've uninstalled any Norton Products, that helped, it ran for about 8 hour without a crash.
    But it's still crashing randomly. I'll keep and eye out in the event viewer, is there anything in particular i need to look out for?
  • Marksmith34

Tinkerer

Options
    Sorry it's taken a while to reply, still trying lots of things.
    Safe boot works fine, runs for hours with no issues. I then restarted normally and it crashed in about 10 minutes.
    I've uninstalled any Norton Products, that helped, it ran for about 8 hour without a crash.
    But it's still crashing randomly. I'll keep and eye out in the event viewer, is there anything in particular i need to look out for?
  • billsey
    Options
    You are likely looking for Error events caused by third party apps and drivers just before or during the crash. If the crash is nasty enough it won't generate an even log entry. In that case you have to look at the bug dump the BSOD creates.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Marksmith34

Tinkerer

Options
    It doesn’t actually produce the BSOD it just freezes, sometimes a horizontal line appears across the display.

On Friday evening I noticed Acer support was now showing a full set of drivers for the laptop for Win 11, so I downloaded and installed them all. I’ve left it switched on since Friday evening and so far it hasn’t crashed. Maybe that’s resolved the issue. 

I’ll update in a couple of days..

Thanks for the help so far.
  • Geulogia
    Geulogia Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Which drivers you installed. All that?. Some drivers I can not install, how can I do for that?
    Please answer asap.
  • billsey
    Options
    Yes, please keep us informed...
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,032 Trailblazer
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I have an Acer Spin 3 313-51N. It has 8GB RAM 500GB SSD. It had windows 10 installed but would randomly freeze. I've upgraded to Win 11 but the freezing is still the same.
    The freezing is random. It's usually just sat playing Spotify through Edge browser or playing iTunes. The freezing could be after a couple of minutes or hours. There doesn't seem to be any pattern. The screen just freezes, sound output stops, if you press a key the keyboard illuminates, but that's it. The only way out is to hold the power button and reset. It's all then ok until the next freeze.
    I've tried battery power only and using the PSU, still the same. Also tried pressing the reset button under the laptop.
    Windows reliability monitor just shows 'windows was not properly shut down', no other details.
    I'm not sure what else i can do to troubleshoot this?

Just to second that, as the freezing has happened to me also with my Nitro 5 AN515-56 in Win-11 with Edge and with certain sites especially when there is a video playing in Win-11 and just completely locks up and the laptop needs to be rebooted for it to work again? But, it disappeared when I got a Win-11 update and also updated the graphics drivers for my Intel and NVIDIA. I have done allot of work on this as it also is due to the Bluetooth driver which is a horror show with my Intel AX1650i Wi-Fi/BT combo card that Intel does not seem to get its drivers right for the Nitro AN515-56. This is how bad it is that I'm running two different Intel driver versions for Wi-Fi, which has the last Win-11 update and works 100% but and with the BT driver I have to run the OEM Acer BT driver (two versions back) as any new Intel BT driver doesn’t work at with no sound in any BT device and causes the above freezing, which is a mystery and just not good enough from Microsoft and especially Intel with these cards, as I've never ever had these problems with Broadcomm or Qualcomm Atheros devices ever in the past but I've heard many problems with Intel cards.

• Marksmith34

Tinkerer

Options
    I installed all the updated drivers from the Acer website for the Spin 3 313-51N. But still got the freezing. Most of the time when it freezes I also get a garbled line across the screen.
    I also updated all the drivers using the Intel update app. Still the same.
    Tried a windows reset keeping files and settings, still the same.
    Today did a full clean install of Win 11 from a USB drive. Still the same.
    I’ve started testing the changes using YouTube and putting the video full screen , that normally crashes things.
    when testing I don’t have any devices connected to the laptop except the power supply.

I’m running out of idea’s. But it’s still under warranty so may need returning.
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Marksmith34

Even after doing the reset if you face the same issue then it might be a hardware issue. 

If your laptop is in warranty you can contact the warranty dept.     Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.   On the new page - scroll down -  click on "contact support".  Scroll down.  You can find the phone no to contact the warranty dept. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★