Need BIOS update for Gateway DX4885

awon1988
awon1988 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I've checked the Gateway website and it is empty for that model :(

Appreciate any help pointing me in the right direction! :)

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    What the Gateway support site shows is that they didn't do a BIOS update after the initial release, so what you have is already the latest.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• awon1988

Tinkerer

If it helps, my 'System Information' says...

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. P11-A4, 11/1/2013

But the model is Gateway DX4885.

If there is any other information I can add that would help, please let me know. Thanks again!
  • Why do you want to update the bios? Have you tried contacting gateway technical support?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • awon1988

Tinkerer

Gateway's support directs me to this community :)
    https://www.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/contact-support

Why do I want to update?
    My CPU fan is operating at low speed and I'd rather not run a third party software constantly to control fan speed. I currently run the processor at a low max state just so the computer doesn't auto shutdown :( Plus I'd like the ability to change the OEM logo to something custom at start up. I believe updated BIOS can fix both of those. At least that's what my research shows is likely.
  • Can you send some pics of all the bios tabs? Have you tried using the argos monitor program?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    The chances are very great that none of those enhancements have been added to the last BIOS released for that model, since it is almost ten years old. They typically do BIOS tweaks for the sales life of the product and only add really egregious security fixes after that. Fan speed adjustments through a user interface are typically only included in some of the BIOSes for the gaming systems and I haven't heard of any that allow custom splash screens, since they use that as an advertisement to help keep the brand name in the forefront of your thoughts.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • awon1988

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    I haven't heard of any that allow custom splash screens, since they use that as an advertisement to help keep the brand name in the forefront of your thoughts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xcYhHGtm7M

You can change both by the looks of this.

egydiocoelho said:
    Can you send some pics of all the bios tabs?

I'm simply asking if anyone has the latest BIOS for this system. I've done my research and have zero questions, so I don't think there's any reason to take pics of my current BIOS. Is there some reason I'm missing?

I don't mean to sound rude, but it's an easy thing.

If anyone has the BIOS, I simply would like to download it and give it a shot :) Appreciate anyone who can hook it up.
  • billsey
    When he says he's not going to cover ways to do it when there isn't custom software from the motherboard manufacturer because it's "somewhat risky" he is fully correct. Acer and Gateway don't provide any apps to do that kind of tweaking and if the image size isn't exactly the same as what's embedded in the stock BIOS you can easily end up with a big, heavy brick.
  • awon1988

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    When he says he's not going to cover ways to do it when there isn't custom software from the motherboard manufacturer because it's "somewhat risky" he is fully correct. Acer and Gateway don't provide any apps to do that kind of tweaking and if the image size isn't exactly the same as what's embedded in the stock BIOS you can easily end up with a big, heavy brick.
    Ok, thanks billsey. I will keep this in mind.

My simple question remains, does anyone have the last BIOS for the Gateway DX4885?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    What the Gateway support site shows is that they didn't do a BIOS update after the initial release, so what you have is already the latest.
  • awon1988

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Thank you, billsey :smile: That's all I need to know. Appreciate your help.