Acer XB323UGP - Vertical lines, Flickering Not just lines, but freezing pixels and flickering.

NothingToDoHere
NothingToDoHere Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited May 2023 in Predator Monitors
Hey, folks!

I have Acer XB323UGP since November. The first time these lines appeared in December, but I thought it was GPU (and a new one was arriving the next day anyway). And with the new GPU it never happened (until today).

Today they appeared again and it seems permanent.
Not just lines, but freezing pixels and flickering.

Checked with 2 GPUs and 2 laptops.
Three different cables both DP and HDMI.
With different modes and settings.

Anyone else?
The main issue for me now is that I need to send it back and pack it.
And it's huge...

Here's how it looks:

[Edited the thread to add model name]

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi NothingToDoHere,

Monitor self test,

1. Power OFF the unit.
    2. Unplug all the cables.
    3. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
    4. Turn ON the unit and check.​

• NothingToDoHere
    Easwar said:
    Hi NothingToDoHere,

Monitor self test,

1. Power OFF the unit.
    2. Unplug all the cables.
    3. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
    4. Turn ON the unit and check.​

Unfortunately, this isn't a permanent fix for the issue.
    For me it wasn't helpful at all.
  • NothingToDoHere
    UPD: The unit has been sent for the service (they will probably refund it, since the model isn't available now in Europe).
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi NothingToDoHere,

It looks like hardware issue. Contact acer tech support,

https://www.acer.com/ac/bg/BG/content/service-contact 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Realize that a poor cable can also cause that type of symptom...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • NothingToDoHere
    billsey said:
    Realize that a poor cable can also cause that type of symptom...
    Re-read the topic, please, I've tried many cables (both DP and HDMI) and it worked before. And I've tried many sources of the signal (two GPUs and two laptops).
  • billsey
    Does the artifact show up on the splash screen? How about when you are in the BIOS?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • NothingToDoHere
    billsey said:
    Does the artifact show up on the splash screen? How about when you are in the BIOS?
    Yeah, it's everywhere, and the more I use the monitor each time it's on, the more glitches and overlayed images is has
  • billsey
    If it shows on the splash screen then it's definitely the monitor. The splash screen is builtin and doesn't require any external signal. It sound like you are still in warranty so contact Acer support and they should resolve it for you. Make it clear the issue is apparent in the splash screen and that it's gradually getting worse, so they don't need to take you through to whole 'is it the cable, is it the port' thing.
  • NothingToDoHere
    billsey said:
    If it shows on the splash screen then it's definitely the monitor. The splash screen is builtin and doesn't require any external signal. It sound like you are still in warranty so contact Acer support and they should resolve it for you. Make it clear the issue is apparent in the splash screen and that it's gradually getting worse, so they don't need to take you through to whole 'is it the cable, is it the port' thing.
    But, as I said above, I've sent the monitor back to the store already, their service department checking it now...
  • billsey
    You sent it to the store rather than to Acer? Often stores have techs working at low wages so you get low quality from them...
  • NothingToDoHere
    billsey said:
    You sent it to the store rather than to Acer? Often stores have techs working at low wages so you get low quality from them...
    This is how you do this things in Europe: first you have to contact your store and follow their instructions.
  • billsey
    Then keep on with the process, eventually you'll get to the part where you contact Acer and have them fix it for you.
  • NothingToDoHere
    billsey said:
    Then keep on with the process, eventually you'll get to the part where you contact Acer and have them fix it for you.
    Actually, nope. For example, when I've had issues with Lenovo laptop, local service just fixed it in about five days (replaced motherboard). I've never seen or heard anyone from Lenovo during this proccess. And yes, this is 100% official way to do it.
  • Der_Meis7er
    Der_Meis7er Member Posts: 2 New User
    I've Had my monitor for 3 months now, just started noticing the issue when playing games in a dark environment. It's exactly the way you have shown.
    I found turning G-Sync off then back on helped .. problem only presisted for a few minutes. it's happened to me twice already after long days of being on.

just curious, how did you go with the replacement ?

• NothingToDoHere
    edited August 2021
    I've Had my monitor for 3 months now, just started noticing the issue when playing games in a dark environment. It's exactly the way you have shown.
    I found turning G-Sync off then back on helped .. problem only presisted for a few minutes. it's happened to me twice already after long days of being on.

just curious, how did you go with the replacement ?

They performed hardware reboot in service and since then it was kinda OK.
    Back then (when I made the post) it was 2-3 days duration of the issue (and turn it on or off didn't help).
    So, unlike in your case, I wasn't able to fix it at home (they did something on their side).

I guess, it still may happen again. They said, "If it will flicker again, then we will consider a replacement. For now, we believe, that it's fixed." So, I feel myself like a guy with 750 Eur time bomb on my desk, that may explode someday. But looks dope for now.
  • Dean478
    Dean478 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Did you ever find a more permanent solution rather than being told to hope it doesn't happen again? I've started getting this exact same issue with my brand new XB323UGP. I get the flickering vertical interlacing lines and some seriously nasty ghosting. In the attached screenshot, you can see my desktop superimposed over the game, as well as the vertical lines. It's not possible to see in a static picture, but there is also some seriously bad screen flickering…
  • NothingToDoHere
    Dean478 said:
    Did you ever find a more permanent solution rather than being told to hope it doesn't happen again? I've started getting this exact same issue with my brand new XB323UGP. I get the flickering vertical interlacing lines and some seriously nasty ghosting. In the attached screenshot, you can see my desktop superimposed over the game, as well as the vertical lines. It's not possible to see in a static picture, but there is also some seriously bad screen flickering…
    Unfortunately, nope.
    But I did my own research instead:

First of all, I switched to 144Hz instead of 170Hz (because 170 is a boost, which tries to overclock the panel).
    Anyway, 144Hz is already very smooth and perfect for my 3060 Ti in the majority of games.
    And I'm using sRGB color mode, which is the most color accurate and also could be less aggressive for the hardware.

I've had very light issues since then.
  • billsey
    A lot of the time the cable just isn't good enough to handle that level of overclocking...
  • NothingToDoHere
    billsey said:
    A lot of the time the cable just isn't good enough to handle that level of overclocking...
    It isn't related to the cable, since the replacement of it will not change what happened to the monitor in my case, for example.