What SSD standards does Predator GX-792-783M support?

Sub24
Sub24 Member Posts: 3 New User
I want to install another SSD drive on one of the free SSD slots on my laptop. 
Unfortunatelly, I am not sure what type of SSD to purchase, since there are no topics about this specific model and I cannot find any technical documentation about it.
In related topics about other GX-792 models there are different answers:
  1. One slot supports SATA and NVMe, the other 2 slots support only SATA speeds
  2. All three slots support both SATA and NVMe standard and speeds
I want to buy an SSD drive which will perform at its maximum capacity, i.e. I don't want to buy an NVMe and have the speed limitation of a SATA.
Please, let me know what standard is supported on each of the slots (SATA/NVMe) and if I install an NVMe SSD on a specific slot, will it utilize NVMe speeds or will it be limited to SATA speeds?
Also, please include information about the keys (B, M, etc.) and any additional hardware which might be required (brackets, screws, etc.) to attach it to a slot.

Thank you and best regards!

Best Answer

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,755 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/488437/predator-17x-gx-792-70jl-available-drive-bays
    This one has all the specifications for the m.2 ssd slots. Two empty slots are for SATA m.2 SSD and they are all B key so you can either buy only B key ssd or B+M key m.2 SSD. There one slot that is on top of m.2 Nvme slot is for 22110 size so you might need a bracket for a 2280 ssd.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Sub24
    Sub24 Member Posts: 3 New User

Thank you for the clarification! I have another question tho. I checked the m.2 connectors, which turn out to be from the brand Lotes. After checking their site for my particular connector, I found that it is infact Gen 3. So hypothetically, it supports speeds higher than SATA 3.0. Does the SATA 3.0 speed limitation come from the capacity of the motherboard or is it Bios related setting?

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,755 Pathfinder

@Sub24 the SATA 3.0 limitation comes from the chipset limitation I suppose. It doesn't have enough PCIe bandwidth to support NVMe for other M.2 connectors.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!