Should I buy the Acer Aspire e15?

MugelCrinch
MugelCrinch Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello all,

I am going to be in college in about 3 months and will need a laptop/desktop/ or both for it. I will be in engineering and may need a somewhat powerful machine. Is the Acer Aspire e15 with i5-8250U processor, 8 GB of DDR3, 256 SSD, NVIDIA 150MX , for $600 good for me? I care a little bit about battery life and would want 6+ hours. I also would not want a laptop to be excessively heavy (6+) lbs.The other option would be for me to get the acer 15'' chromebook and then spend the rest of the money on a desktop. Not sure what I should do and any advice/suggestions are well appreciated. Thank you!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>need a laptop/desktop/ or both for it>>>

Do you really need both? Or do you only like to have both? A desktop is usually much more powerful than a laptop for the same or less money. Laptop battery life depends heavily on the program & application loads you expect to use. Typically you can expect only about half the advertised laptop battery life under actual real world use. 

Jack E/NJ

• jandan
    jandan Member Posts: 4 New User
    Personally i would never, ever buy an acer product, they lie, keep your computer, and blame you for their fault goods, and then have to audacity to tell you they want £771 to repair a fault they sold it to PC World with, just a total scam, we have now lost ALL our data that was stored on our computer.  It is an appalling service 
  • MugelCrinch
    MugelCrinch Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello all,

I am going to be in college in about 3 months and will need a laptop/desktop/ or both for it. I will be in engineering and may need a somewhat powerful machine. Is the Acer Aspire e15 with i5-8250U processor, 8 GB of DDR3, 256 SSD, NVIDIA 150MX , for $600 good for me? I care a little bit about battery life and would want 6+ hours. I also would not want a laptop to be excessively heavy (6+) lbs.The other option would be for me to get the acer 15'' chromebook and then spend the rest of the money o VidMate n a desktop. Not sure what I should do and any advice/suggestions are well appreciated. Thank you!

issue got solved
  • spiceagent11
    spiceagent11 Member Posts: 10 New User
    Do you really need both? Or do you only like to have both? A desktop is usually much more powerful than a laptop for the same or less money. Laptop battery life depends heavily on the program & application loads you expect to use. 
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @MugelCrinch

Recently I bought an Aspire 5 A515-46-R14k for USD $367 (last week $347, and today $408). It has AMD Ryzen 3 3350U CPU, 1920x1080 ISP display, 1 USB 2.0 port + 2 USB 3.0 ports and one 5 Gbit/s Type-C port, backlit keyboard, finger print reader, 128 GB PCIe 3.0 x4 NVME SSD ( though the read speed is little weak , just little over 600 MB/s, still faster than SATA SSD), 4GB soldered RAM ( max 20GB if add a 16GB module to the open SO-DIMM slot), 720p web cam. If you are not a heavy gamer with high resolution graphics intention you'll find that the Vega 6 integrated graphics should be adequate.

It also has a HDMI 2.0 video output port for a second monitor. I connect it to a 4K TV (using 4K cable of course) for steaming everyday, and I can verify that it is capable of 4K resolution.

This laptop boots and shutdowns just as fast as my best desktop ( i5-11500 CPU, PCIe 4.0 motherboard, using gen 4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD with seq. read speed close to 7,000 MB/s).

Just received another 4GB RAM for USD $15, intend for optimal dual channel performance.

Also get another 500 GB WD Blue SATA3 SSD for USD $55, getting ready to install to the laptop for future Linux installation and system image backup plus some data storage space.

If you want a DVD drive, you can get one for less than USD $30. All of these add up will be still less than USD $600.

I would highly recommend this laptop.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @MugelCrinch

Corrections:

The display is IPS, not ISP

The 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD sequential write speed is weak, not the sequential read. The sequential read still 3,200 MB/s+

For $30, you can get an USB external DVD, don't think of it as an internal one.
  • spiceagent11
    Do you really need both? Or do you only like to have both? A desktop is usually much more powerful than a laptop for the same or less money. Laptop battery life depends heavily on the program & application loads you expect to use. vidmate spice money tumangaonline
    No reply to this...?
  • spiceagent11
    Do you really need both? Or do you only like to have both? A desktop is usually much more powerful than a laptop for the same or less money. Laptop battery life depends heavily on the program & application loads you expect to use...
  • spiceagent11
    edited August 2021
    spiceagent11 said:
    Do you really need both? Or do you only like to have both? A desktop is usually much more powerful than a laptop for the same or less money. Laptop battery life depends heavily on the program & application loads you expect to use. 

no replyy....?
    ">.
  • spiceagent11
    Do you really need both? Or do you only like to have both? A desktop is usually much more powerful than a laptop for the same or less money. Laptop battery life depends heavily on the program & application loads you expect to use. vidmate spice money tumangaonline
    No reply to this...?
  • spiceagent11
    Do you really need both? Or do you only like to have both? A desktop is usually much more powerful than a laptop for the same or less money. Laptop battery life depends heavily on the program & application loads you expect to use. spicemoney
    no reply to this...........?
  • spiceagent11
    Do you really need both? Or do you only like to have both? A desktop is usually much more powerful than a laptop for the same or less money. Laptop battery life depends heavily on the program & application loads you expect to use. spicemoney
  • spiceagent11
    Do you really need both? Or do you only like to have both? A desktop is usually much more powerful than a laptop for the same or less money. Laptop battery life depends heavily on the program & application loads you expect to use.....
  • spiceagent11
  • spiceagent11
    spiceagent11 said:

no replyy....?
    ">.
  • atellier
    atellier Member Posts: 2 New User

At Atellier Studio we create stunning 3D Product animation and renders that bring your product to life. We have been one of the best 3D Product rendering company that has helped clients like Sony, Google, and Volkswagen. In a recent project for Sony Interactive Entertainment’s New Orleans-based studio (SIE NOLA), our team was tasked with producing high-quality renderings of two different Playstation products for use in an upcoming promotional campaign.