Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57 cpu starts running at .18 ghz when playing games for 15-20 minutes

Ahtishamali
Ahtishamali Member Posts: 5 New User

Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57 cpu starts running at .18 ghz when playing games for 15-20 minutes without any power limiting and temps are around 87-89 C with around 44-46w max and gpu is sometimes power limited with max power of 45w and when taking 65+w max its temps are around 86-88, I tried using throttlestop to limit the cpu wattage to 25w and even 20w to control temps and yes they stay around 75c with 20w and around 80c with 25w but still with lower temps laptop center spot is till very hot to touch and cpu goes to 800mhz or .18ghz and everything just starts lagging like hell, then either sometimes waiting for few minutes fixes the frequency back to 3.2-4.4 ghz but sometimes I had to restart to get the normal frequency.

Although I can uncheck the BD PROCHOT option in throttlestop to let the cpu run at its normal or max frequencies but if I do it while gaming then laptop would shutdown abruptly.

I have tried using the older version of gpu drivers and chipset drivers that are mentioned on device page on acer.com but that still hasn't fixed it, I am running updated bios and have played gaming with this latest bios and this never happened as this is only started happening 2 days ago.

What else can I do to fix this issue so that cpu doesn't throttle like that, I remember laptop getting hot while prolonged gaming session but it would never throttle like that and cpu temps never go beyond 91c usually staying at 89c max.

Answers