Acer Spin 3 SP314-54N-57VR display switches off -- possible battery issue?

Yoeri_G
Yoeri_G Member Posts: 2 New User
edited 1:10AM in Swift and Spin Series

I've got an Acer Spin 3 of 3 years old. Since a few weeks, at random moments the screen will switch off and will not switch on again. The laptop continues to work. When I connect an external monitor, it's still operational. Unfortunately, a hard reset/cold reboot will not fix it. The only way I can get it to work again is to unplug it and do a battery reset of 30+ seconds.

I know the battery is not in great shape anymore - it will last mere minutes after unplugging. Considering only the battery reset (inserting a pin through the hole for half a minute) seems to work, is it likely that replacing the battery would fix this issue?

Here's my system info:-

Acer Spin 3 SP314-54N-57VR
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G4 CPU @ 1.10GHz 1.50 GHz
Installed RAM 8,00 GB
Graphics Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics
running Windows 11

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,229 Trailblazer

Yes, this is probably a bad battery, run a battery report: Paste this in the command prompt: powercfg /batteryreport and open the report with your Edge browser, right click and select "Print to Microsoft PDF", attach the report to your reply, type @Puraw or use "Quote" when you reply so I will get an alert.

• Yoeri_G
    Yoeri_G Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for your quick reply. I've run the battery report and attached it here.

One small update: Since posting this yesterday, the situation has worsened: Even a long battery reset no longer fixes the issue. I've had to connected the monitor permanently.

Thanks for any advice. I hope a definitive conclusion on this will make it straightforward to get it fixed properly. I'll start figuring where to get the battery replaced, provided that's going to be the solution.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,686 Trailblazer

The screen issue isn't likely a battery issue, since a bad battery that presents as too low will shut the machine down or hibernate rather than just turning the display off. Since an external display is working the system itself hasn't been shut down. Your battery is bad, but you also need to deal with the issues with the display. Let's try to get the display working before you purchase a replacement battery, since if the display issue is too expensive to fix you don't want to have just spent money on the battery…

If you move the display back and forth, does it sometimes work and sometimes not? That would point to the issue being a cabling problem between the motherboard and LCD, with that cable being flexed each time you open and close the lid.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.