Acer Aspire 5 A515-56 Touchpad not working again due to drivers, even though they are up to date?

Figgis
Figgis Member Posts: 76 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited 5:21AM in Aspire Laptops

I contacted Microsoft about this and received this reply:

Your problem is caused by updating drivers from the wrong source

Win11 by default only installs critical security updates, unless you made the mistake of selecting “Get latest updates” which includes drivers.

See your laptop/PC makers support to update both bios and ALL drivers.

There should be a shortcut to that makers update utility on your system.

Then set Bios to defaults & Pwr to balanced. At the end of the day shutdown, do not leave in sleep.

How do I fix this once and for all.

"There should be a shortcut to that makers update utility on your system"

Are they the Drivers? The correct drivers are installed and they are up to date.

I have changed the power setting from Best Performance to Balanced, The curser disappears when I'm using it and I switch off a few times a day. I always turn it off at the end of the day.

I have not touched the BIOS but I'm happy to try if I get some step-by-step instructions. I'm hacked off about this as I can't use my laptop properly with a mouse. So, if i'ts not sorted this time I will have to contact Acer Technical Support.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,804 Trailblazer

Your touchpad does not have any drivers it is a 12C HID device installed by Microsoft (Precision), if you have installed any touchpad drivers Windows will be unable to find your touchpad and cannot install this Precision device. First boot to BIOS with F2 and check in the MAIN screen that Touchpad is set to 12C HID and not PS/2, you will have to press Ctrl + S in BIOS to show hidden settings, save changes on exit BIOS and boot to Windows. In Device manager Human Interface Devices uninstall any device or drive named ElanTech, Synaptics and 12C HID, also under Mice and other pointing devices, Unknown and Other Devices. Uninstall also any driver/device with a small yellow exclamation triangle including in Hidden Devices (click on View, menu at the top). Just reboot and Windows will install the Precision device.

• Figgis
    Figgis Member Posts: 76 Devotee WiFi Icon

I couldn't find a touchpad driver last time and thought the fingerprint sensor, which is on the touchpad. was the one to uninstall and then download for it to reinstall on Windows startup. It has worked intermittently since then.

I will try out your instructions tomorrow with a clear head.