Nitro 5 AN 517-54. The screen is flickering and have FPS drop alot.

Duckzorduck
Duckzorduck Member Posts: 7 New User
edited September 3 in Nitro Gaming

Hello people,
I have so many problems with my Nitro 5 AN 517-54.
First of all, I had some problems with the Nvidia and the Battery last year in December,and I've sent it to the Acer Repair center. The laptop was repaired and sent back in January,after I've got it back i've seen some Flickering when browsing on Chrome,then the pixels started being low Resolution. I had to Restart my Laptop just for those to be fixed.
I said maybe that's a Bug or something.

After 5 months [ my laptop was out from Warranty for 4 months] the flickering started again and I was playing Dota 2 with everything on High then in 1 sec the games started having FPS drops, lot and big spikes.
From that moment I have problems with FPS drops, I can't play any game,even Dota i have to play on LOW and even then I have FPS Drops and low FPS.
I've Contacted Acer and they didn't care,they just told me to Reset it [I even Reinstalled my W11] and the problem is still there.

I can't find any way to fix it,I think there is a component problem, not a Software.

The Gapuz while staying on Dota 2 Menu:

Nitro 5 while staying on Dota 2 Menu ///

UHD while on Chrome:

UHD Card INFO [ BIOS is Version 12 ] latest:

GPU Nvidia Info:

[Edited the topic title to include model number]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,379 Trailblazer

By all the information above the laptop cpu/gpu temps are normal for when gaming, you have to be aware that these Nitro laptop must be setup properly so that will perform at their peak performance. Make sure that you first have the last bios version 1.20 installed for the AN517-54 and install the GeForce Experience that automatically notifies you of new driver releases from NVIDIA for the RTX3060 gpu. The NVidia driver that you have above is not the latest driver for the RTX3060 gpu, uninstall all the gpu divers with DDU in safe mode then install the latest GeForce Game Ready Driver - WHQL Driver Version: 560.94 - Release Date: Tue Aug 20, 2024

Also, make sure that you have all the windows updates done and also if there are any firmware updates in the Advanced options > Optional updates > Driver updates section update that as allot of times a gpu firmware update is released through windows update. Last read this excellent guide from a community member "Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming" at Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community and make sure that you have setup your laptop for gaming, as doing all that will ensure that your laptop will perform at its best, as you might not have everything setup properly. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Duckzorduck
    edited September 2

You can even see the FPS Drop on GPU and the CPU going there only like 1-4%.

Like i said i did everything,Window full reset,DDU in safe, and still 0
    I think there is something broken inside or burned cause the laptop didn't do this after the repair for like 3-4 months. Just after that the LOW FPS and FPS Drop started.

• StevenGen

This is the NS of my AN515-56 which is a 3 years old Nitro laptop that has very much the same specs as your AN517-54 Nitro with a n 11th Gen i7 cpu / RTX3050 /32GB DDR4 ram, the NS diagram below is after 3 hours of the laptop being used in ambient room temp of 28C and its not overheating and never ever overheats even in high end gaming.

I speak from personal experience when I've given you all the setup information above as that is how my Nitro is setup, if your AN517-54 still overheats and its got low fps then its the hardware and if its the gpu there is no fix for that as unfortunately these laptops components are all soldered onto the mainboard and there are no parts to change and you need to change the mainboard.

Have your NS settings like below as this is how my NS cpu/gpu temps read after 3 hours of use in a 28C room temp environment, which is pretty hot and its not overheating at all and running perfectly even when gaming the temps max get to 85C-90C cpu and max 85C gpu.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,054 Pathfinder

@Duckzorduck

Upon looking at the NitroSense screenshot, I see that your GPU's maximum temperature is 93C which is too high and might cause damage. You can try replacing the thermal paste and cleaning out the fan vents. This will stop the thermal throttling and FPS drops.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Duckzorduck

I will not pay over 700€ for a Mainboard when I’ve paid already 1300€ for the Laptop,and the Laptop has like 2 years and 7 months.
    I thought that this Brand is better,but it’s not so good after all.
    With 1300+700,i can buy the latest custom made PC with RTX 4080..

• Duckzorduck

I did all of those above,Windows Full Reinstall,and more. And Bios is the latest one [ v12 ]

The problem wasn't there after the repair for like 3/4 months [ Big FPS Drop and LOW FPS ],it started after.
    I have no ideea what's wrong with it,maybe something burned inside,or they installed it bad,No ideea. That's why i'm asking this here maybe someone can point me to the problem.

This is the last laptop from Acer. I tought this is a "Responsible" company,but alot of Nitro 5's have so many problems.

• Duckzorduck

update:

I’ve opened the the laptop,and alot of screws were missing from the motherboard,and the cooling system. ( From 8 Screws there was only 6 and those not even properly tightened).

So it looks like the Acer repair center didn’t really care about that,and didnt even put some new screws in.

Thank you Acer !
    I will buy them online,but till then can someone tell me how can I check if all the connections work properly?

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,403 Pathfinder

I didn’t read the full post but checked the image you shared of Nitrosense. I can clearly see that high temperatures are causing thermal throttling, making the CPU/GPU unstable. The only solution is to clean the laptop fans and air vents, both inside and outside, and apply a new high-quality thermal paste. This can be tricky because most people don’t know how to properly apply the paste and clean the vents.

However, I have helped other users with this before, so I can share that post with you. Just follow my comment for proper cleaning and application instructions.

Your laptop’s screw was missing, likely due to the service center’s carelessness, but I believe the connection should be secure and proper. Additionally, the screws on the heatsink shouldn’t be too tight; they should neither be very tight nor loose.

In the end, buy screws and follow my comment in the link I shared. i didn’t think screws are impotant here but if they are too tight, you risk damaging the motherboard or the heatsink itself, which can lead to improper cooling or hardware damage. If they are too loose, the heatsink may not make proper contact with the CPU or GPU, leading to overheating and potential performance issues. Proper torque is crucial for effective thermal transfer and system stability.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Duckzorduck
    edited September 4

is it necessary to put new pads on ? Or can I just put the Paste where the pads where?

P.S: got new screws from a Local repairman

• GAMING6698

Ignore paste on Vrams (pink one) they are special only for vrams. Cover them with a cloth or something to prevent dust settling on them and clean fans, air vents and Apply thermal paste on CPU/GPU chips.

IF vram paste look worst or dryout then pink paste replacement paste k5-pro. which is especially for vram. Check below post-

• StevenGen
    edited September 4

This is what I did to my Nitro AN515-56 about 6 months ago and the paste and pads that I used, remember when you change the paste and thermal pads (replace the pink vram paste that Acer uses) the aim of changing the paste and pads is that the thermal module contacts the cpu/gpu and vram equally and thoroughly so that it can dissipate heat of these components that get hot, if even a part of the thermal module doesn't make contact equally then your laptop will overheat.

Here is the pastes and thermal pads that I used, you need to clean the cpu/gpu and thermal module thoroughly before you apply these products.

Use the Thermal Grizzly range of paste and thermal pads as they are the best that I've found out over the years as they are a premium gaming high quality product that dissipate heat perfectly off the cpu/gpu and VRAM chips and is what allot of top techs use for high end gaming laptops and desktops.

For the cpu I used the Conductonaut Extreme liquid metal while for the GPU you should apply the ordinary paste the Kryonaut Extreme and for the VRAM chips apply their Minus Pad Extreme which comes in two sizes of 120x20mm and 100x100mm @ thicknesses of 0.5.1.0.1.5,2.0 and 3.0mm, so with the pads I bought the 0.5 and 1.0mm thicknesses as it was adequate to pack the VRAM chips so the pads make contact with the thermal module which is the purpose of the thermal pads.

Note: be very careful with liquid metal paste as its a conductive paste and it can destroy CPUs and mainboards if you apply too much and not to how Thermal Grizzly instructs you to apply this paste! As if it spills onto the mainboard circuitries and especially underneath CPU or the GPU as it will short the mainboard circuitries and ruin the mainboard, so only apply liquid metal as per guide. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

For your information I'm including this Acer Liquid Metal Paste Application Guide that Acer applies to their Predator Helios and Triton gaming laptops that is in their Service Guides and this is that guide for your information, but also follow the Thermal Grizzly guide specifically if you buy their liquid paste. Good luck and hope this helps you out as its worked for my Nitro latop, so I'm speaking from experience👍

• Hello! There are several bios versions that mention fixes for the display! What is the bios version?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Duckzorduck

Update 2:

So,after i got the new screws from a local repair shop,and cleaned the old paste then put another one,I left the laptop to charge to Full Battery then played a Dota 2 Match.

The settings from before and temperatures:

Low Setting (not lowest) 55-70 FPS and major FPS drops

CPU: 94* / 1-4% Load (Nitrosense doesn’t read it good,i dont know why)

GPU: 93* / 90% Load

After cleaning:

Highest Setting 75-90 FPS ( First time when I bought the Laptop the FPS was around 150)

CPU: 89* / 1-4% Load (like I said above)

GPU: 67* / 60% Load (No significant drops)

—-When i had the Laptop the first time i played Dota 2 the FPS was around 150 at High settings.. After 2 years it dropped to ~80.If I really stay and think,thats a Big fps drop,but yea.. it’s a Laptop,and I Think thats normal with the time.Thank you for your Help!

• GAMING6698

Which paste did you use? Did you follow my instructions? 89°C is a bit high but can be acceptable if you are in a hot room. In that case, consider buying a cooling pad with stands and an FPS cap to lower the CPU temperature. Following the optimization guide below may also help:

As for significant FPS drops, if the game has received a major update, such as an upgraded engine or graphic enhancements, it can cause a decrease in FPS. Pretty normal in online multiplayers Game.