Aspire A315-58-79NX throttled and not charging

mrokk
mrokk Member Posts: 1 New User

My wife has had an A315-58-79NX laptop since 2021. It was working fine until recently. Last week she switched it on and found that it had suddenly become so slow that it was completely unusable.

I checked the Task Manager and it showed a CPU speed of only 0.2GHz (!). I tried playing with ThrottleStop, and I unchecked the BD PROCHOT box for a while, but I was afraid I'd cook it, so I checked it back and didn't touch it again. I noticed that Windows was reporting that the battery was at 9%, but it was not charging. As soon as I unplugged the charger, it shut down.

I found this article about the A315-58 not charging and the advice to update the BIOS to at least version 1.26. Unfortunately, the BIOS updater complained that the battery had to be charged to at least 40%. I didn't know at the time that this check could be bypassed, so I ordered a "new" battery. When the new battery arrived, I tried to update the BIOS again, but this time the updater complained about inserting the system battery (!?). Somehow I googled the solution to this and bypassed the check, and was finally able to update the BIOS to the latest available version. Unfortunately, it didn't help because the battery still won't charge. When the charger is plugged in, the charging LED lights up for a few minutes and then starts blinking slowly. Windows tells me that the battery is at 100%, but that's not true - unplugging the charger immediately shuts down the laptop. The good thing is that the CPU is not throttled with the 'new' battery.

I tried various ways to reset the battery, including using the switch at the bottom and also disconnecting the CMOS battery and leaving it disconnected overnight.

The battery report shows the following information for the original battery:

Installed batteries
Information about each currently installed battery
BATTERY 1
NAME AP16M4J
MANUFACTURER Murata
SERIAL NUMBER 2776
CHEMISTRY Li-I
DESIGN CAPACITY 37 012 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 26 760 mWh
CYCLE COUNT 35

Recent usage
Power states over the last 3 days
START TIME STATE SOURCE CAPACITY REMAINING
18:49:45 Report generated AC 3 % 851 mWh

For the replacement battery it shows:

Installed batteries
Information about each currently installed battery
BATTERY 1
NAME -
MANUFACTURER COMPAL
SERIAL NUMBER -
CHEMISTRY Li-I
DESIGN CAPACITY -
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY -
CYCLE COUNT -

Recent usage
Power states over the last 3 days
START TIME STATE SOURCE CAPACITY REMAINING
19:27:51 Report generated AC - -

Suspiciously, there's not much information about the new battery, so I'm not sure if it's genuine.

Any suggestions on what else I can check or do?

I don't know whether I have two faulty batteries or a faulty laptop.
Neither seems to charge, despite the BIOS update. When using one of the batteries (the old one) the CPU speed is limited to 200MHz.

Answers