I bought Acer Nitro V16 an16-41 recently,the battery drains even plugged in. Is It normal?

JesvinJose22
JesvinJose22 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 1 in Nitro Gaming

So, I play a lot of games. For regular use, I run on battery; and when gaming, I plug in the charger. I have set in to limit to 80% in nitro sense app, but even though it does not stay in the charge shown when i begin the game. If i start at 80 % sometimes it goes to 40-60% range. Today i started at 56% played fall guys for like 1 hr and saw the battery at 20%. Is that normal or how to fix this? Please help as my laptop is very new and it has only been like two weeks.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,562 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Do NOT USE Acer Care Centre 80% Battery Charge Limit as it damages your battery and reduces its charge efficiency, always keep your battery charging with the adapter 24/7 and keep your battery at 100% charge when playing games and using your laptop as a desktop. The Nitro V16 laptop has a 135W / 19.5V/6.92A adapter and a Typ.59Wh 3720mAh battery that should keep this laptop performing perfectly when playing games and for normal usage.

If your Nitro V16 is the model ANV16-41 make sure that you have the latest bios installed as that has an "Update Acer Battery Adaptive Charging function" fix with its last bios update version 1.09 for the AMD laptops. Also make sure that you have the latest Nvidia GeForce Experience software so that you can download/install the latest Nvidia game ready driver for your GeForce RTX™ 4060 and make sure that you always Clean Install all new Nvidia drivers and play all games through the Nvidia GeForce Experience software settings for best gaming performance, as doing all the above will ensure that your Nitro V16 will perform at its best performance in gaming and within its battery and adapter supplied by Acer. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,499 Pathfinder

It's not normal, 1%-5% drain while plugged is normal but not 40-50% Drain, Possible Causes

1. Power Adapter Insufficiency: The power adapter may not be providing enough wattage to keep up with the laptop's demands during heavy gaming. Check the wattage rating on your charger and compare it to the laptop's requirements. We need to make sure adaptor is providing enough voltage.
    2. Battery Health: Since your laptop is new, this is less likely, but it's worth checking the battery's health status. A defective battery can lead to rapid discharge. By the way, 80% battery limit is useless and you should not use it. Try battery reset using below link-

Are you still under return and replacement policy?

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,080 Trailblazer
    edited July 31

For starters uninstall AcerSense and disable any 80% battery charge limiters you may be using, this affects MS ACPI protocol and afik Acer apps no longer include that 80% charge limiting. Even after uninstalling Acer apps check Windows Services and if you see ACC.svc or AcerS agent, stop these services and disable the Startup type in the Properties tab and click on Apply. Then do the battery reset procedure posted by GAMING6698

• StevenGen
    Answer ✓

Do NOT USE Acer Care Centre 80% Battery Charge Limit as it damages your battery and reduces its charge efficiency, always keep your battery charging with the adapter 24/7 and keep your battery at 100% charge when playing games and using your laptop as a desktop. The Nitro V16 laptop has a 135W / 19.5V/6.92A adapter and a Typ.59Wh 3720mAh battery that should keep this laptop performing perfectly when playing games and for normal usage.

If your Nitro V16 is the model ANV16-41 make sure that you have the latest bios installed as that has an "Update Acer Battery Adaptive Charging function" fix with its last bios update version 1.09 for the AMD laptops. Also make sure that you have the latest Nvidia GeForce Experience software so that you can download/install the latest Nvidia game ready driver for your GeForce RTX™ 4060 and make sure that you always Clean Install all new Nvidia drivers and play all games through the Nvidia GeForce Experience software settings for best gaming performance, as doing all the above will ensure that your Nitro V16 will perform at its best performance in gaming and within its battery and adapter supplied by Acer. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• JesvinJose22

i checked and it says bios is insyde corp v1.0.5 dated 29:02:2024, i dont know how to check if it is up to date or not.

• JesvinJose22

And one more thing i noticed is that after i finish and check the battery charging details its sometimes shows smart charging. What is it and does anyone has this kind of issue. Fyi my laptop is acer nitro v16 an16-41

• StevenGen
    edited 11:32AM

Are you sure that your Nitro model laptop is the Nitro AN16-41 and NOT the Nitro ANV16-41 as it makes a big difference with the bios versions and when you update the bios. So, BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU UPDATE THE BIOS THAT YOU HAVE THE CORRECT BIOS FOR YOUR NITRO LAPTOP.

As the Nitro AN16-41 DOES NOT HAVE a bios version "insyde corp v1.05 dated 29:02:2024" the bios version 1.05 dated 2024/04/18 is for the Nitro ANV16-41 which is a totally different laptop, and you can't use the bios from the AN16-41 and flash the ANV16-41 laptop bios.

To make sure which exact model laptop you have, turn the laptop upside down and on the bottom, you will have a sticker like in the caption below, where the laptop model is written like in the red circled are below that is from a Nitro 5 AN515-56 laptop as an example only for you.

Note: If your laptop has the bios version 1.05 - which has fixed the following: "1.Update panel ID and Fan table 2.Update WM and STT table for new discrete graphics 3.Enable ECHID for PD FW update" - Dated 2024/04/18 then your laptop is the Nitro ANV16-41 laptop NOT the Nitro AN16-41 laptop, so be aware of this first!

The last bios version of the Nitro ANV16-41 laptop which is the bios version 1.09 - fixes the following: Update Acer Battery Adaptive Charging function - Dated: 2024/07/26, so download this bios and update your version 1.05 to the last bios version 1.09 so that it fixes the battery. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

Be very cautious with BIOS Updates: Acer warns all users that, upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution.

• JesvinJose22
  • Oro331
    Oro331 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited 11:13AM

Yo, i think i found the reason for the discharging: Some adapter controller in the laptop seems to be bugged. I think it doesn't request the exact amount of current needed to give to other components, but it doesn't seem to do it EVERY time. Like, 10 minutes ago i was playing minecraft with shaders and noticed that my battery discharged from 100% to 96% while playing. The thing is, i was playing with very conservative settings! My cpu was set to maximum energy efficiency, so while playing it stayed at 8-10watts. The gpu?Wasn't going over 20-25 watts as i was playing with a cap of 90fps. So why was the battery discharging? The hell?????

Well, i found out(as i said) that for some reasons, and sometimes, the pc ain't giving enough juice to components while under the ac adapter and the battery was charging at only 6 watts. The power management seems VERY unbalanced. Sry for my bad english.