Why does Windows 11 block some updated files on Nitro AN17-41?

RouxTheDay
RouxTheDay Member Posts: 2 New User
edited July 26 in Nitro Gaming

Q1) What the hell is up with the file names?

1.19 = BIOS_119

1.20 = ZGU_ZGUA_ZGU2_ZGUA2_120

Q2) Why does Windows defender block executing either one under Windows 11?

Q3) Why do they claim to be "7z Setup SFX" from Igor Pavlov?????

[Edited the thread to add issue detail to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,516 Trailblazer

This is the Acer link for your Bios version 1.20, the zip file name is clearly and correctly named:
    https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.20_A_A.zip?acerid=638448821835211128&Step1=&Step2=&Step3=NITRO%20AN17-41&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6
    You need to download and unzip the file in a new directory: How to update your BIOS on an Acer notebook computer - Acer Community

Windows11 23H2 Security will block any system files you are installing so you need to right click on the unzipped .exe or .inf file and in the popup at the right bottom click on "Unblock". To avoid this enable Receive Optional Updates in Advanced settings "Check for updates" and you will be offered the latest firmware and drivers before they appear on Acer Support sites, make sure your Windows11 23H2 version is current: 22631.3880

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,078 Trailblazer

There is not much about Igor Pavlov. It is only stated that he is the creator of 7-zip: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Pavlov_(programmer)

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • RouxTheDay
    RouxTheDay Member Posts: 2 New User

Yes, that's the name of the download file. The names I referenced were the files you get when you un-zip the download file.

So, it's normal for Acer BIOS images to be rejected by Windows 11? We just have to hope that nobody has put something out there erroneously?

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,276 Trailblazer

Use WINRAR to unzip the bios file as you might have a problem with 7z Setup SFX from Igor Pavlov😁 I've just updated a bios and used WINRAR and had no problems extracting the bios .exe file and flashing the bios on a laptop perfectly and correctly.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍