Can I upgrade my Acer Desktop TC1785 with more video memory

Hippie
Hippie Member Posts: 2 New User

First timer here. I'd really like to install Windows flight Simulator on my tower PC. When I check on the Microsoft store it states my system doesn't have enough video memory. Is it possible to upgrade this on my system. Thanks.

Device name: Acer Aspire Desktop PC TC1785
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-14700 2.10 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,159 Trailblazer
    edited July 6

Not in Windows, you will have to add RAM, 2x16GB, to get more VRAM, there may be ways to edit the registry, but Windows11 will reset all registry edits on the next boot. Some laptops have a patch to upgrade VRAM: https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/14146-upgrade-video-bios-to-improve-system-performance

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,640 Trailblazer

You can't really upgrade video memory for the onboard video, but you can add a GPU card to the system. That should give you everything that Flight Simulator wants. Be aware that Acer shipped the TC-1785 models with either a 300W, 400W or 500W power supply, so look at yours to determine which it is and choose a GPU that fits the power budget. Something like a Nvidia 4050, 3050 or 2050 might work.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Hippie
    Hippie Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you so much for those informed answers. When Ive got some extra bucks Ill give it a crack :))

• Marty11
    Marty11 Member Posts: 119 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited July 12

@Hippie

Uhm, forgive me if I'm wrong, but the Acer Aspire XC-705 is running the integrated Intel® UHD Graphics. That is the video card that is integrated into the i7 SoC. It uses a part of shared memory.

How much graphics memory does Windows flight Simulator want? Normally you should be able to allocate as much as half the available memory to graphics.

Increasing your video memory should be as easy as going into you Bios setup pages and just setting a higer value for video memory.

Have a look here for an explanation: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000041253/graphics.html

The easiest way is to set the VRAM size is in the Bios setup pages. To activate the BIOS utility, press <F2> during the POST while the computer logo is being displayed. Have a look around there first.

Nowadays there seems to be an alternative option via the registry as well.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,640 Trailblazer

The TC-1785 and XC-705 are somewhat different. :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.