AN515-45 out of warranty, microchip caught on fire, is there anything that can be done?

Options
Sarcasm08
Sarcasm08 Member Posts: 2 New User

I bought an Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-45) about a year and a half ago (so of course it's out of warranty). No problems up until last night. I went to turn it on and nothing happened, plugged in the charger cord and no light came on. I Google'd some info and some people suggested unplugging the battery and plugging it back in to see if there was some kind of battery malfunction. I did that, and when I plugged it back in, one of the small micro chips sparked and caught fire. I immediately unplugged the battery, but the damage is done. I took it to Geek Squad, but they said they don't have a soldering iron to put a new chip on, but they said the motherboard is burnt and the contact points are melted, so the motherboard would need to be replaced, and the cost of that and labor would be high enough that I might as well buy a new laptop. They said something like that to happen is extremely rare, but it certainly doesn't put a good taste in my mouth regarding the Acer brand.

Is there anything that can be done, or am I just out of $800 and will need to buy a new laptop (preferably not Acer brand after this experience).

Answers