PM161Q Abmiuuzx 15.6" IPS LED FHD Portable Monitor - Black The image is very dark

Options
2»

Answers

• pmacay
    pmacay Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Options

I unchecked "turn off fast startup" and rebooted 3 times, no bright screen. I then tried reseating the external monitor cable, first from the external monitor end, then from the PC end. No bright screen. I then unplugged the monitor and shut down. Then plugged the monitor in when it was up and running, no bright screen. I then tried reseating the external monitor cable, first from the external monitor end, then from the PC end. No bright screen.

• pmacay
    edited March 21
    Options

Sorry, I posted my reply twice, I thought my post didn't work.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options

> > The monitor sometimes comes up in full brightness, > >

Try this. Turn both the monitor and PC off. Wait a minute or so. First turn on the monitor. Wait another minute or so. Then turn on the PC second.

Jack E/NJ

• pmacay
    Options

I don't have the external monitor connected to a power supply, it is getting it's power from the PC's USB C port.

• JackE
    Options

That may be the issue. The PC's port must be capable of delivering nearly 25 watts. Not sure what the power specs are on your Surface model's type-C port. Was an AC adapter or wallwart provided with your monitor?

Jack E/NJ

• pmacay
    Options

It did come with a power cord, and I tried it and the screen lite up to full brightness without rebooting. It's just strange that "sometimes" the screen would be at full brightness with just the USB C connector to the laptop.

• JackE
    Options

> >It did come with a power cord, and I tried it and the screen lite up to
    full brightness without rebooting. It's just strange that "sometimes"
    the screen would be at full brightness with just the USB C connector to
    the laptop..> >

If it was my Surface, I would try to find out if its port can safely or reliably deliver 25 watts before continuing to try to force it to do so. Meanwhile, I'd use the AC adapter to keep any smoke from escaping inside of the Surface.😯

Jack E/NJ

• pmacay
    Options

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I didn't want to have to carry another power cord with me when I travel, but it appears the surface can't supply the proper power for the external monitor.

• JackE
    Options

Sorry, 25watts is about as low a power requirement for a backlit LCD monitor that's available in that size and price bracket. The PC really should have a ThunderBolt compatible port. Newer OLED monitors might work with your port but cost a lot more than an LCD monitor.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,839 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, the laptop is only providing the standard 900mA@5V (4.5W) that USB defines, it's not designed for power delivery.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • pmacay
    Options

Thanks everyone for all the help with this. When I bought the external monitor I was surprised that the tablet could power it, now I see that it can't, unless your computer has the newer USB C thunderbolt connection. I am happy with the Acer monitor, good quality at a good price and it really helps to expand my workspace when I'm traveling.