PM161Q Abmiuuzx 15.6" IPS LED FHD Portable Monitor - Black The image is very dark

Options
pmacay
pmacay Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

I just purchased the Acer - PM161Q Abmiuuzx 15.6" IPS LED FHD Portable Monitor - Black The image is very dark, I increased the brightness to 100% but the image is still very dark compared to the laptop that it is connected to. Is there some kind of brightness or power saving feature I need to enable to make the image brighter? I am running Windows 11. Attached is a photo showing the monitor at 100% compared to the tablet it is plugged into.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,486 Trailblazer
    Options

Press the ' | ' button for the on-screen display. Use the ^ up arrow key to increase brightness.

Jack E/NJ

• jfl2024
    jfl2024 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

@JackE This didn't work for mine. Do you have another option besides updating the drivers?

@pmacay Any updates?

Thanks!

• JackE
    Options

Does the brightness level respond at all by moving the on screen display slider in either direction up or down? If it gets even dimmer but not brighter, it might be due to the tablet's or laptop's video output signal isn't strong enough to drive the monitor to full brightness.

Also, if you're running Win11, you can still try to install the Win10 driver at this link in Win11's Win10 compatibility mode.

Jack E/NJ

• pmacay
    Options

When I go into the display settings there are 2 monitors displayed. When I click on the main laptop monitor, and then slide the display brightness slider, it does darken the laptop monitor. However, when I choose the external monitor (which has different resolution settings) and then slide the brightness slider, it only changes the laptop's display, even though I have the external monitor selected. So no matter which monitor I have selected, the brightness slider only effects the laptop's display. I am running Windows 11 on a Surface Pro 7 Tablet with 16GB of memory. Believe it or not, but one time I booted the tablet and the external monitor was at full brightness, but then the next time I rebooted it's back to being dark.

Your suggestion about installing the Win10 driver, can you explain what I need to do? I download the driver and then how do I get into compatibility mode?

Thanks for your help with this.

• JackE
    Options

Double click on downloaded compressed monitorACER~.zip file to unzip it. Right click the pm161q.inf file. Click on the install option if it appears.

Jack E/NJ

• pmacay
    Options

Thank you, it said it was successfully installed after right clicking on the .inf file and choosing install. Now what do I do? The monitor has not changed, it's still dark. Going into the display settings the brightness controls still only effect the main laptop monitor no matter if I choose monitor 1 or 2.

• JackE
    edited March 16
    Options

Did you re-boot?

Did you try to adjust the monitor's own on-screen display (OSD) brightness up or down? This means the brightness adjustment on the monitor menu itself, not from the PC.

Did you try to re-seat the video cable at both ends a few times to help clean the connector contacts?

Please post a screenshot of Device Manager as it opens. Don't try to manually expand any of Device Manager's folders.

Jack E/NJ

• pmacay
    Options

I have rebooted many times. I did adjust the monitor's own on-screen display to 100%, that was the first thing I tried. I have plugged in the display and reseated the cable several times. Attached are screen shots of the device manager and also screen display.

• JackE
    Options

What happens when you brighten the room lighting by turning on iights and/or opening windows shades ?

Jack E/NJ

• pmacay
    Options

There is no change with the external monitor brightness depending on room brightness. One suggestion I saw was to turn off automatic brightness control, but on my version of Win11 that option doesn't even appear. There is a "Night Light" option to use warmer colors, when I select the external monitor and slide the bar, both displays change. If I select the internal monitor and slide the "Night Light" option, both displays change.

However, when I slide the "Brightness" bar, only the laptop monitor changes, even when I have selected the external monitor.

Two times the external monitor has been at normal brightness, but reverts to being dark on reboot.

I have tried to change the external monitor to "Make this my main display" but the adjustments appear to effect the screens the same.

I think this is a Win11 problem as twice the external monitor has been at full brightness, but the System/Display options don't effect both monitors the way they should, using the brightness option only effects the main tablet display, even when the external monitor is chosen.

• JackE
    Options

> >I think this is a Win11 problem> >

Maybe. Can you HDMI out to a TV set to see if it behaves similarly?

Jack E/NJ

• pmacay
    Options

I am traveling and the hotel's TV only has an HDMI input jack, not an output, I then tried it on my partner's Mac but I don't think the mac supports dual monitors, I then plugged it back into my tablet and it's now at full brightness (see attached photos, one with dimness and one at full brightness). I have a feeling when I reboot it will be dark again, but I think this is clearly a Win11 problem and not a problem with the Acer monitor. I thank you for your help resolving this issue, I'm just sorry I wasted your time on a problem that was not Acer's fault.

• JackE
    Options

> > I am traveling and the hotel's TV only has an HDMI input jack > >

Yes! This is exactly what you want!

Connect the PC's HDMI output to the hotel TV HDMI input. We want to see if the hotel's external TV behaves like the external PM161Q monitor.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

That would help a lot if we can determine if the issue is with the HDMI port or the video drivers…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • pmacay
    Options

Gotcha! I thought you wanted to see if the Acer monitor worked in full brightness running off the TV signal. Unfortunately I don't have the proper cables to plug my laptop into the TV as an external monitor. I will have to wait until I return home on the 27th and test that out. I have another external monitor at home that I use on my home Win11 desktop computer and I can test it then and let you know what happens. Thanks again for all your help!

• JackE
    Options

Does you PC's USB-C port have a thunderbolt symbol like that shown on the left below?

Jack E/NJ

• pmacay
    Options

There is no symbol printed next to the USB or USB C ports. Here is a link to the tablet I purchased in Jan 2022:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0846SMYBD/ref%3Dppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In the description it just says "Hardware Interface usb, usb c"

I attached a snapshot of the USB ports from the device manager.

• JackE
    Options

> > Believe it or not, but one time I booted the tablet and the external monitor was at full brightness, but then the next time I rebooted it's back to being dark.> >Two times the external monitor has been at normal brightness, but reverts to being dark on reboot. > >There is no symbol printed next to the USB or USB C ports.> >

This SurfacePro model apparently doesn't have the newer type-C ThunderBolt port. The monitor's port is a ThunderBolt. While the hardware should be backward compatible, the Acer Win10 monitor drivers and generic Win11 drivers might create intermittent re-boot issues like this.

Try this. Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Please post a screenshot of the box that pops up.

Jack E/NJ

• pmacay
    Options

Thank you for your continued support. The monitor sometimes comes up in full brightness, but only about 1 out of every 8 times. Here is a screen capture you asked for.

• JackE
    Options

> > The monitor sometimes comes up in full brightness, > >

Click on 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Then UNcheck (turn off) fast startup. Shut down normally. Test to see if it happens more often.

Jack E/NJ