Is it possible to upgrade my g3-710 desktop? I would have to upgrade my PSU as well.

Options
AlexEatsRamen420
AlexEatsRamen420 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 24 in Predator Desktops

I am new to the pc gaming world and I was gifted a acer predator g3-710 with a 1060 3gb 12gb of ram and a i5 7400. I am pretty sure that my 1060 is shot. I was wondering if i could totally upgrade it, like the GPU and the CPU but I think the i5 7400 is working well. I was thinking of maybe a 30 series, I feel like that sounds ridiculous, and I am pretty sure I would have to upgrade my PSU as well. So if someone could help me figure out if I can upgrade my pc if it is even possible

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    Options

Increase this desktops Acer proprietary PSU to this laptops 730W Acer part #; DC.73018.001, as this PSU will give you a better scope to upgrade the gpu to a higher spec, this desktop was fitted with the NVidia GTX 1080 GDDRVX 8GB Acer part #: DA.10811.002, as its highest spec gpu, so consider upgrading to this gpu. if you haven't got the i7 cpu then upgrade to this desktops Core i7-7700K type, also look at the Crucial Acer Predator G3-710 RAM & SSD Upgrades for this desktops ram upgrades, as doing all this will improve your desktops performance by at least 100%. Good luck and hope this helps you out

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Ignore both of those. :)

You have the 7th gen CPU, so 'upgrading' to a 6th gen isn't possible. You can upgrade from the 7th gen i5 to a 7th gen i7, but it likely won't be worth the expense unless the CPU is basically free. Performance differences between the two are only really noticeable if you are doing something that uses a lot of threads, so not gaming really. If you decide to change the CPU, don't buy a K model, the BIOS doesn't support any of the K enhancements and it has a high enough TDP that you would have to revamp the cooling system.

The system doesn't use a proprietary power supply, the model is old enough it uses a standard ATX supply, so no need to buy one directly from Acer or using an Acer part number. I think a 3060 or 3070 is still a viable upgrade for your system, since those are available on the secondary market for a lot less than a new card. The standard PSU is as Steven says is either a 500W or a 730W. If it's a 500W you might be able to get by with the 3060 using the existing supply but will want to upgrade for the 3070, if the 720W you are good to go with either card.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.