Acer G3-710 My 1060 3GB is starting to show it's age, what can I upgrade with?

Options
SaboWarrior
SaboWarrior Member Posts: 2 New User

I've been looking at a bunch of inexpensive graphics cards that are leagues better than my aging 1060 3GB, what can I actually put in my PC? There's not a lot of info on the proprietary board in my system.

Answers

• IVAN_PC
    IVAN_PC ACE Posts: 7,500 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi,

-You could put, the 1070Ti requires 60 watts more power than the 1060, so you should check if a 500w power supply would be enough.

Best Regards.

☑️ 𝑺𝒊 𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂 𝒆𝒔 "𝒍𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂", 𝒉𝒂𝒛 𝒄𝒍𝒊𝒄 𝒆𝒏 "𝑨𝒄𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒂𝒓 𝒍𝒂 𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒖𝒄𝒊ó𝒏" 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂 𝒂𝒚𝒖𝒅𝒂𝒓 𝒂 𝒐𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒔 𝒂 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒂.
    ☑️ 𝑬𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒐 𝑨𝑪𝑬𝑹 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒕𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒆 𝒖𝒏 𝒂𝒎𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆 𝒂𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒍 𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒔 𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒅𝒐.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited February 2023
    Options

This desktop has a 1x PCIe x16 slot (PCIe V3.0) and really you should not be wasting your money on any 30 series Nvidia gpus’s, this desktop was also fitted from Acer oem with the “nVidia GTX-1080 GDDRVX 8GB ATX PCI-Ex16 UEFI DVI-D HDMI DP DP DP 288-1N425- X00A8 – Acer part#: DA.10811.002” or even a better upgrade is the GTX-1080Ti gpu, as the Ti is still regarded as one of the best 10 series gpu’s ever and its performance and especially is overclocking performance potential is very relevant with today’s gpu cards, as it keeps up with today’s gpu’s and its perfect for your desktop. If you don’t have the 730W PSU for your desktop then this is the OEM PSU it’s the “PSU 730W FSP750-80EGN(A01001) APFC – Acer part#: DC.73018.001”. good luck and hope this helps you out. Try and see if you can get the Gainward GameSoul GTX 1080 Geek Edition as it’s a killer gpu card that comes oem with a gpu clock-1784MHz and boost clock - 1936MHz and a memory clock - 1251 MHz

• SaboWarrior
    SaboWarrior Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi there, I remember reading on another forum post here on the site that the proprietary board can only handle a max PSU wattage of 500W, so are you sure I could push it to 750W for a 1080Ti?

• StevenGen
    Options

All the above info is from the Acer G3-710 Acer SG so its 100% correct and the 730W PSU is available, search that part number as it works with the G3-710 mobo 100% as the GTX1080 is a workable gpu with this desktop.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, the G3-710 supports much larger PSUs if needed. Yours either has a 500W or a 750W PSU. If you have a 500W you are likiely maxed out with something like a 3070, with the 750 you can go with a more powerful GPU. If you really want a high end GPU you can replace the PSU with a larger one. You limits are really from the age of the system, You are running either a 6th gen or 7th gen system, so several years old since this years new stuff is 13th gen.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.