My Switch Alpha 12's battery is expanding again 3 years after replacement

Options
LovemyAlpha12
LovemyAlpha12 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited February 23 in Switch Series

I received a replacement battery about 3 years into ownership from Acer Service Repair Center. And now 3 years later (6 years total ownership), battery is expanding again.

I try to find an out of warranty support but the AnswersBy site seems to only do software support, not hardware. Does anyone know if Acer still would do battery replacement? I still have the box and bubble wrap that Acer used when they sent me back the repaired device 🤗

Thanks

https://www.acer.com/ca-en/support/contact-acer

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,609 Trailblazer
    Options

All Li-Ion batteries expand after some time, some more than others depending on the laptop and room temperature. Batteries are not covered under Acer warranty and after 3-4 years need to be replaced. https://www.amazon.com/AP16B4J-SW512-52-513B-SW512-52P-SW713-51GNP-KT-00204-003/dp/B08RCNZ4DJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,783 Trailblazer
    Options

Due to the age of the SA12, I doubt you will get a second battery from Acer. Likely the best bet is to go through third parties for a replacement. It looks like they are available from Amazon and Aliexpress, likely eBay too…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • LovemyAlpha12

Tinkerer

edited February 24
    Options

Batteries are covered by warranty, what did you mean by not covered? A broad statement like what you said is not helpful.

Also I read somewhere at the time that batteries that expand means they weren't designed and sealed properly, so some gas got in and making it expand. If you have a credible link to back up what you said feel free to share. My previous laptops from other brands used for longer never had the battery expand.

https://images.acer.com/is/content/acer/Acer_CONS_WTY_DOC_1_YR_MICI_US_CA_MX_LA_46_AD148_008_090514pdf

Acer clearly cared and offered replacements in the past. Maybe Acer has spare parts available still, and can connect with me for price? Someone official from Acer respond?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,609 Trailblazer
    edited February 24
    Options

Normal wear of components is not covered by warranty, your battery has been used 3 years. Battery swelling is not a defect all Li-Ion batteries will show some swelling with time depending on environment temperatures, charging and use (load). 😉

• LovemyAlpha12

Tinkerer

Options

Here says if a component malfunctions, which seems outside of normal wear and tear, then can appear noticeable. Apple identified some laptops with this defect.

https://www.consumerreports.org/laptop-computers/some-macbook-pro-batteries-can-swell-what-you-need-to-know/#:~:text=What's%20Wrong%20With%20the%20Batteries,any%20significant%20swelling%2C%22%20says%20K.M.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,008 Trailblazer
    Options

The Acer Switch Alpha 12 tablet is an 8-year-old design so even if its 6 years old the battery needs replacing. Its unusual for a battery to swell after 3 years but as your article points out above, a battery can fail if its charge and discharge voltage limits management circuitry stops working properly and when it dischargers or overcharges it will extract a gas and expand. The Alpha 12 has an oem SONY 2 Cell
    4870mAh battery so only replace the battery with the Acer listed battery below to be safe, as if you keep using that battery it will leak acid and damage your tablet or overheat and explode of catch fire, so be very careful. Good luck and hope this helps you out some more.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,783 Trailblazer
    Options

Prolonged time spend in a fairly discharged state will allow more of the lithium crystals to form. Crystals tend to breach the neutral substances that sit between layers and that allows mixing of the chemicals in the battery. That can be one of the causes of gas buildup. It looks like you can pick up a replacement battery (at least in the US) for around $25. Just replace it… The SA5-271 models came out in 2016. Acer is very unlikely to do anything for you under warranty on a machine that is eight years old. You will not receive any sort of a response from Acer here, we are all just other Acer users. The moderators only monitor for things like spam and bad language so don't see these messages.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.