Switch Alpha 12 Swollen Battery

Drew14150
Drew14150 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

I have a Switch Alpha 12 that has a swollen battery which is causing the screen to pop off. This basically makes the tablet unusable as a swelling battery is a hazard in our workplace. The tablet is about 2 years old, so I have not been able to contact support due to it being outside of the warranty and the 3rd party service offers little to no actual help. We buy these frequently for our employees to use, but now our users are starting to become worried that this will happen with their tablets also. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Comments

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Sure, I had the same issue with mine. I just bought a replacement battery and installed it. You have to be careful when splitting the case because if you jerk them apart a bit too forcefully you can break the cables, but a little caution is all that's really needed. IIRC the replacement battery was under $50 on eBay. It doesn't happen to all units, though I'd bet if you waited long enough it might. You need just the right conditions for the battery to grown the crystals that cause the bulge.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Drew14150
    Drew14150 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Although it sounds completely do-able, I would rather not attempt to work on the battery since they have a chance of exploding once they swell up enough. Also, since this is hazardous I am not permitted to physically work on it even if I wanted to. This seems to be something that should be professionally handled by ACER in my opinion.
  • billsey
    I'll try to get someone from Acer to show up, though typically they only cover it during the warranty period. You really only have to worry about exploding when it's connect to a charging current. The fire and explosion thing happens when the crystals grow enough to penetrate the layers, causing a short. as charge power is applied.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi Drew14150,

I am very sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with a swollen battery, please check and reply to the private message i have sent you to better assist you. 

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • DmitriyKozh
    DmitriyKozh Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi Drew14150,

I am very sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with a swollen battery, please check and reply to the private message i have sent you to better assist you. 

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
    Hello. I have the same problem. It is happen today. Could you help me too?
  • Soojeong
    Soojeong Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi Drew14150,

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny

Hi,

I was googling to find the solution for the same problem and I have found this.

Could you please help me as well?
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi Drew14150,

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
    Hello. I have the same problem. It is happen today. Could you help me too?
    Soojeong said:
    Hi Drew14150,

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny

Hi,

I was googling to find the solution for the same problem and I have found this.

Could you please help me as well?
    Hi Soojeong and DmitriyKozh,

Happy Holidays!
    Acer-Manny
  • LethalSquid
    LethalSquid Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi Drew14150,

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny

@Acer-Manny
    Can you also help me out. I am having the same problem. Thank you.

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi Drew14150,

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny

@Acer-Manny
    Can you also help me out. I am having the same problem. Thank you.
    Thank you LethalSquid, i have responded to your PM for assistance.

Acer-Manny
  • ALAN_DRY
    ALAN_DRY Member Posts: 4 New User
    For those of you that solved this, can you suggest where I can buy a new battery?
  • billsey
    I bought my replacement off Amazon. I don't know if there's a better source though...
  • Barikan
    Barikan Member Posts: 1 New User
    hello,

I just experienced the same issue. I had an extended warranty which actually experience in December 2019.

can you help?
  • billsey
    Yeah, I had purchased mine at Costco using their card, so I had the normal 1 year, plus the extra year from Costco, plus the third year from the card issuer. But then it was right at four years when the battery started swelling. :)
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Barikan said:
    hello,

I just experienced the same issue. I had an extended warranty which actually experience in December 2019.

can you help?
    I am sorry to hear that you're experiencing the same issue, i have sent you a private message requesting more detail information to better assist you.

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • alexius79
    alexius79 Member Posts: 1 New User
    hi guys, any reliable contact in malaysia. i just realised out alpha switch 12 battery start to bulged. thanks
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    alexius79 said:
    hi guys, any reliable contact in malaysia. i just realised out alpha switch 12 battery start to bulged. thanks
    I am very sorry to hear that you're experiencing this, i can recommend you contacting your local Acer support channels for better assistance:

Support: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/MY/content/highpoint-service-network
    Service Center Locations: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/MY/content/highpoint-service-centers-location

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • Konaswede
    Konaswede Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited April 2020
    Aloha, I have the same issue. I bought mine at Costco and still have warranty left. The Costco concierge extended 2 year. Does this cover the battery ?
    IF so can you please send me one so I can replace it ?
    If not, can I buy one ?

Thanks,

Edited the content to hide personal information
    Acer-Samuel
  • billsey
    I believe you just need to contact Acer support in order to get it fixed, the battery should be covered under warranty. Likely they will not have you fix it yourself and will instead have you send it in for repair. The SA12 models aren't all that easy to take apart and it's really easy to break a cable while doing so.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Konaswede said:
    Aloha, I have the same issue. I bought mine at Costco and still have warranty left. The Costco concierge extended 2 year. Does this cover the battery ?
    IF so can you please send me one so I can replace it ?
    If not, can I buy one ?

Thanks,

Edited the content to hide personal information
    Acer-Samuel
    If you still have warranty it is recommended to contact your local Acer support center for assistance, the community is a peer to peer support and this is a hardware issue that needs to be addressed with our repair center: 

Support-1-866-695-2237
    Chat-Click to Chat

Note: you can send me the contact information with the serial number of the unit via private message and i can escalate it to the support team for follow up, but i can't guarantee the turnaround times on this, you can actually get faster assistance via chat. 

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • owencarl
    owencarl Member Posts: 1 New User
    Unfortunately I just had the exact same issue today. I'm in the US, and the warranty has expired. Can anybody from Acer help?
This discussion has been closed.