Can I put an SSD in my Acer Aspire 3 AR14 series.What kind of SSDs would be compatible or HDD?

Kacperw06
Kacperw06 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited December 2023 in Windows 11

Hi, I have run out of space in their Acer laptop, I currently have a "WDC PC SN520 128G", I would like to replace it.

Can I put an SSD into the laptop?

What kind of SSDs would be compatible? If not any then what HDDs?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,656 Trailblazer

If your laptop model is the Aspire 3 14 A314-22: It comes with a Sata-2.5"HDD bay and 128GB PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 SSD in the PCIe M.2 NVMe slot (see below). You can replace that for a 1TB Gen 3 like a Samsung 970 EVO plus.

For a 2.5" Sata-3 SSD (see above thread) best to install Samsung 2.5" Sata-3 870 EVO 1TB.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer

I don't know what you mean by an AR14 series, that doesn't seem to match any of Acer's model numbers. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like Axxxx-xxx-xxxx. There have been a lot of different Aspire 3 models over the years, and specs vary widely. Most of the SN520 drives are NVMe, so you should be able to replace that with whatever size you prefer and can afford. I'd also pick up an external NVMe enclosure, it will make the process of moving to the new drive very easy. Simply put the new drive into the case, use cloning software to copy your existing drive to the new one, then open up the laptop to install the new drive and remove the old. You should be good to go at that point. I'd likely choose either a 1TB or 2TB drive, they seem to be the best options for the price.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.