Is my Acer Aspire 3 A314-22-R029 upgradable to allow an extra hdd or ssd

Darkabyss
Darkabyss Member Posts: 2 New User
My Acer Aspire 3 A314-22-R029 has an m2 ssd. Is it upgradable to allow a second ssd or hdd? When i popped open the back cover there looked to be space for a second hdd. But I don't see any upgrade recommendations from the manufacturer or any slot to attach a hdd convertor cable.

Answers

• Hi,
    You need to take off the WiFi card, the connector is marked with yellow circle in my snip.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,780 Trailblazer
    The white colored  2.5" HDD/SSD socket is under the wifi card. You must remove the black colored wifi card hold down screw and lift the card out. You also must disconnect the USB cable.

The m.2 SSD is under the battery pack. You must remove the mylar and black colored tape covering its connector to the mainboard. Then disconnect the battery pack and lift it out.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Sorry. I got the m.2 arrow pointed at the wrong socket. Corrected version below. Still disconnect the battery before you do anything to avoid releasing any smoke. :o

Jack E/NJ

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Darkabyss

Looks like your laptop's interior is similar to my laptop. Only one M.2 NVMe SSD slot, just for higher capacity PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD upgrade. 

The 2.5" SATA3 SSD/HDD connector is below the M.2  Wi-Fi card slot, as circled in yellow by @JackE.

Disconnect the battery first.

Remove the M.2 Wi-Fi card.

Flip the little flap/clip below the M.2 Wi-Fi slot up, so you can insert the SATA3 SSD ribbon cable. Make sure fully inserted, then close the clip/flap

Put back the M.2 Wi-Fi card

Connect back the battery 
  • Darkabyss
    Darkabyss Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you for the response @JackE @ttttt @brummyfan2
    @ttttt Do you know the parts number for the sata 3 ssd ribbon cable and hard disk caddy? How many pins is the ribbon cable?

• Darkabyss said:
    Thank you for the response @JackE @ttttt @brummyfan2
    @ttttt Do you know the parts number for the sata 3 ssd ribbon cable and hard disk caddy? How many pins is the ribbon cable?

Hi,
    You can find the part numbers for the cable and bracket in my post in this thread:https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/630774/aspire-3-a314-22-dont-have-hdd
  • JackE
    If your machine was purchased in the US or Canada, you might be able to request the 2.5" installation kit at this link. Otherwise, yes you will have tgo purchase at least the cable by googling part no 50.HVVN7.001 for vendors who ship to your location. The HDD or SSD can be suitably immobililzed and protected inside the case with a few strips of foam or rubber packing. A mounting bracket  and screw aren't needed or even desireable.

Jack E/NJ