Acer Aspire GX-281 where I can find a service Manual. want to decode the beep codes.

Options
steellung
steellung Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Hello,

I'm trying to bring an Aspire GX-281 back from the dead but I'm having a hard time finding information to decode the beep codes.

Does anyone know where I can find a service manual or data on the beep codes for the mobo on this machine?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 10,396 Trailblazer
    Options

No service manual is published but this is the user manual: https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Document/User%20Manual%20W10/User%20Manual%20W10_Acer_1.0_A_A.zip?acerid=636310346546850312&Step1=&Step2=&Step3=ASPIRE%20GX-281&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

I found this for Acer Aspire Desktops:

• 3 Beeps – Ram failure.
    • 4 Short – System timer failure.
    • 2 Beeps – Parity Circuit failure.
    • 1 Short – DRAM refresh failure.
    • 1 Long – Extended RAM Failure.
    • 1 Long 1 Short – RAM failure.
    • 3 Long 2 Shorts – Memory Failure.
    • 1 Long, 2 Short – DRAM or circuit failure.
    • 1 Short Beep, No Display – Display test failed.

• steellung

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks @Puraw! That helps a lot.

Does anyone know the DIMM layout?

When I first attempted to boot I would get an immediate continuous beep, which is consistent with no RAM installed and also this post:

Then I started testing the sticks. Black DIMMs do not seem to work at all as I get no display or peripheral power, so according to that comment, I would assume that those are DIMMs 3 and 4. Also when I first opened the machine the sticks were installed on the white ones.

Then using a stick at a time I got 1 long and 2 short beeps which indicates "DRAM or circuit failure". Then I installed both sticks again and got the same pattern, and not the continuous beep. So it seems that it is consistent that is something related to RAM, just not sure if it is the modules or the board itself. Find it a bit weird that both modules would break at the same time, I couldn't boot with just one of them.

Thinking of buying new 2400Mhz modules to test it. However, it won't be easy to find the same ones that came originally with the machine given its age. I would think that it would be fine to get any other set of 2400Mhz 1.2V modules but then there is this post, not the exact same thing but…

Does anyone have some thoughts/recommendations on this?

• steellung

Tinkerer

Options

Sorry everyone for the spam, first time here, took a bit of time to understand why it wasn't posting the comment. If a mod happens to read this, please remove the duplicates if possible.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,781 Trailblazer
    Options

Here you go:

Make sure you read the motherboard text to see which is 1, 2, 3 & 4.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • steellung

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks @billsey!

The problem is that I don't have the motherboard manual to see which is which, nor I could find one online. But at this point I'm pretty sure that the white ones are 1 & 2, the only thing missing is understanding whether the problem is in the RAM modules or the motherboard.

• steellung

Tinkerer

Options

Just to leave the note. Ended up buying new RAM and it indeed fixed the problems. Thanks to everyone who helped.