Tried to install additional RAM in my Aspire GX-281 - not successful!

Options
Temptedtigress
Temptedtigress Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
My Acer Aspire GX-281 originally came with one 8GB memory module installed, near as I can figure I'm supposed to be able to install up to 64GB, but figured 32GB total would be plenty enough for now. So I went ahead ordered 3 Kingston KCP424NS8/8 modules from Amazon, installed them - and as soon as I powered the PC back on, I get a shrieking noise and nothing works. So I removed all 3 new ram modules, and added just one to the corresponding white memory slot (PC has 2 white, 2 black slots, manufacturer RAM came installed in the first white one). PC works fine.
So I turn everything back off, and try installing one additional RAM stick - same result, I power on and shrieking begins. I try either empty slot, same thing again. Really just trying to figure out what's going on - I don't really think its any of the 3 memory modules that's defective, but could it be the slots themselves that aren't working? If so, am I really stuck with being able to just use 2 of the 4 memory slots I have? Not sure I really want to try what Amazon's customer service suggested - they told me to clean the memory modules with an eraser?
Either way - any thoughts about what's going on would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    For Acer PCs, user probably do not know what motherboards they are using, as Acer's documentations are terrible. However, if you take out the original memory stick you should be able to get some info from the sticker of the memory stick. Looks like you are running into the problem of incompatible memory sticks. Motherboard makers usually provide a list of compatible memory for their motherboards, but I doubt Acer will do it. How about putting a pair of memory sticks to the black slots, this will not be optimum usage, but you are just using that for testing only.

When servicing memory sticks, I always use compressed air to blow away the dust followed by spraying some electrical contact cleaners to make sure good contacts for the memory sticks.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Here is the spec from Acer on the memory they installed:
    I don't see anything specifically wrong with the Kingston you got, 2400MHz 1.20V.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.