Issues with charging port overheating - Predator Helios 300

Options
Ezrablaise
Ezrablaise Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello all,
I have been using my Predator Helios 300 laptop for about a year now, and I've begun to notice an issue.
When the computer runs too hot (such as playing a graphically intensive video game, in my case, Cyberpunk 2077) my charger starts to have issues. It will happen with other games as well - but less intense games take longer to have the issue.
What begins happening is that, despite no physical movement of the laptop or the charging cord, it starts to connect and disconnect power very rapidly, as if it was being plugged and unplugged over and over.
I strongly believe it is due to heat, as the end of the cord is extremely hot when it is withdrawn from the computer.
I have cleaned out my vents and ports with compressed air.
I use the turbo fan mode when gaming.
I have adequate airflow seated at a flat desk ( with a laptop cooling pad with fans as well).
This has happened with multiple different outlets in different locations.
This ruined the charger I recieved with my initial purchase - after some time, it ceased to charge my laptop at all. I purchased another charger, and am experiencing the exact same symptom.

This seems like a serious design flaw. I am wondering if anyone has found or could suggest some solutions, or even has a better idea of the cause of the problem.
Thanks.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,406 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023
    Options

Check your DC barrel port if you see discoloring. anywhere that could indicate overheating, same with the pin of the power cable "brick" adapter. Wiggle the power plug pin inside the DC port and see if the LEDs on the side are changing or the screen brightness dims. Are you using the original power adapter that came with the laptop? If this is a replacement adapter check if the pin is compatible with your laptop this should be 5.5mm OD x 1.7mm ID (diameter hole) if the pin OD is only 3.5mm you should not use it (bad contact) Older chargers can get very hot when the battery is almost depleted, and you should never use the laptop on battery only, unless you are moving or use it outside where there is no city power. I suggest trying a spare or borrow another adapter with a plug that fits and see if the port/power cable gets hot. if the same results you should bring the laptop to Acer Services in your country and include the adapter, possibly the DC port needs replacing (not an expensive part).

• a_happy_laptop_user
    a_happy_laptop_user Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

It sounds like you're dealing with a broken charging port issue related to overheating and power connectivity in Predator Helios 300. I found a few posts with the similar issue for your reference:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AcerOfficial/comments/mba75a/acer_helios_300_2019_has_a_charging_port_problem/

https://fixing-tools.store/blogs/fixing-issues-with-the-charging-port-overheating-on-your-acer-predator-helios-300-gaming-laptop/

Fixing a broken charging port can be challenging, and it often requires technical expertise. If you're not comfortable or experienced with laptop repairs, it's advisable to seek professional assistance. Here are some general steps you can consider if you're attempting to fix a broken charging port on a laptop:

1. Assessment:Examine the charging port carefully to identify any visible damage. Look for bent pins, loose connections, or any foreign objects that might be obstructing the port.
    2. Power Off:Before attempting any repairs, power off your laptop and disconnect it from any power source.
    3. Use Compressed Air:Blow out any dust or debris from the charging port using compressed air. This can sometimes resolve connectivity issues caused by blockages.
    4. Check for Loose Connections:Inspect the internal connections of the charging port. If there are loose or disconnected wires, you may need to reconnect or solder them back into place.
    5. DIY Repair Kits:Some laptops have modular charging ports that can be replaced with the help of a DIY repair kit. These kits often include the necessary tools and replacement parts. However, not all laptops are designed to be easily repairable, and attempting to open the laptop may void the warranty.
    6. Soldering (Advanced):If the charging port is soldered onto the motherboard and there are soldering skills, you might attempt to reflow or replace the solder joints. This, however, is a delicate process and should only be attempted by individuals with experience in soldering and electronics.
    7. Professional Repair Services:If you are unable to fix the charging port on your own, or if the port is integrated into the motherboard, consider taking your laptop to a professional repair service or contacting the manufacturer's support for guidance.
    8. Manufacturer Support:If your laptop is under warranty, contact the manufacturer's support for assistance. Attempting to repair the laptop on your own could void the warranty.
    9. Data Backup:Before sending your laptop for repair, ensure that you have a backup of important data. Repairs, especially those involving the motherboard, can sometimes result in data loss.

Remember that laptop repairs can be complex, and attempting to fix certain issues without the necessary expertise can lead to further damage. If you're uncertain or uncomfortable with the repair process, it's best to seek professional help to avoid causing additional problems.