Power jack on charger overheating helios 300

Options
Storm573
Storm573 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited January 2022 in Predator Laptops
Hello, i'm having a problem where the power jack that connects to the helios 300 2021 laptop overheats after a random amount of time. the brick doesn't overheat and the temperatures on the laptop itself are fine so I was wondering if it's a faulty charger or something inside the computer causing it. I sent it in and acer didn't find any issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    Options
    Storm573 said:
    Hello, i'm having a problem where the power jack that connects to the helios 300 2021 laptop overheats after a random amount of time. the brick doesn't overheat and the temperatures on the laptop itself are fine so I was wondering if it's a faulty charger or something inside the computer causing it. I sent it in and acer didn't find any issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You might be having power mains voltage irregularity issues as any adaptor has a safety switch if the laptop shorts it out or it gets too hot for its circuitry to work, don’t worry about it as an adaptor overheating to when you touch it is normal as that is how they work, especially if you have an adaptor plugged in all the time and you use the adaptor as a permanent power source all the time. .  

• Storm573
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    Storm573 said:

You might be having power mains voltage irregularity issues as any adaptor has a safety switch if the laptop shorts it out or it gets too hot for its circuitry to work, don’t worry about it as an adaptor overheating to when you touch it is normal as that is how they work, especially if you have an adaptor plugged in all the time and you use the adaptor as a permanent power source all the time. .  

but the plug shouldn't get burning hot after playing a game like FFXIV for 10 minutes.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Storm573 said:
    StevenGen said:
    Storm573 said:

but the plug shouldn't get burning hot after playing a game like FFXIV for 10 minutes.

Do you mean the actual adaptors power 2 prong plug part that plugs into the wall socket? As that could be a faulty mains plug that you need your electrician to look at as its probably causing power output issues at the wall and causing these excessive heat and its dangerous. Check that as that is NOT normal and very dangerous. 

• geekromi
    geekromi Member Posts: 144 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi, it probably could be a loose connection between the output power brick jack and the helios power source connector: did the cord get pulled somehow, maybe forcing the jack into the helios connector? , is the jack firmly fixed when connected or it seems loose, because in this case could be the negative plates inside the helios connector that got bent ending up having a poor contact with the power Jack and creating the conditions for overheating between the power jack and the helios connector
  • Storm573
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    Storm573 said:
    StevenGen said:
    Storm573 said:

Do you mean the actual adaptors power 2 prong plug part that plugs into the wall socket? As that could be a faulty mains plug that you need your electrician to look at as its probably causing power output issues at the wall and causing these excessive heat and its dangerous. Check that as that is NOT normal and very dangerous. 

the plug is fine its the circular jack that goes in the laptop that overheats.
  • Storm573
    Options
    geekromi said:
    Hi, it probably could be a loose connection between the output power brick jack and the helios power source connector: did the cord get pulled somehow, maybe forcing the jack into the helios connector? , is the jack firmly fixed when connected or it seems loose, because in this case could be the negative plates inside the helios connector that got bent ending up having a poor contact with the power Jack and creating the conditions for overheating between the power jack and the helios connector
    the jack always seemed loose but hasn't caused a problem until recently.