I have PREDATOR ORION 5000 but the memory is running out on the C Drive

Options
Burchy1964
Burchy1964 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I have PREDATOR ORION 5000 and my C Drive is almost full

How do I change it from the current 2590GB capacity to one larger.

OR

I have installed a SSD 2TB into the free slot on the front tray a year ago so could swop this to a boot drive but dont know how I would copy the existing set up on the C Drive and move it to the SSD.

Thank you

Mark

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,389 Trailblazer
    Options
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,970 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023
    Options

Which Predator Orion 5000 desktop model do you have, like PO5-6xx. Anyway that is not so important, first leave your 2TB M.2 SSD as it is, don't use that as a boot drive, as its very advantageous to have a 2TB M.2 SSD in SSD2 slot for gaming and high end software as the M.2 SSDs are way quicker than any 2.5" SSDs or 3.5" mechanical HDDs.

Buy a new 1TB M.2 drive and start fresh with an empty M.2 SSD drive, and use the new drive as your boot drive imo is the best way, then take the 2TB M.2 SSD old drive out and put the new 1TB M.2 SSD drive into your desktops SSD2 slot and use the new M.2 SSDs manufacturers cloning software that they use (example: if its a Western Digital they use Acronis, if its Samsung they use their own Data Migration etc etc) then install the appropriate cloning software, and clone your old 256GB M.2 SSD drive onto the new 1TB M.2 SSD, as doing it internally, is its like 500% quicker than within an external case and should not take more than 15 min. then, take the old 256GB boot drive out and don't install it into your desktop put the new 1TB M.2 SSD and boot your desktop, as your desktop should have a perfectly functioning 1TB boot drive with everything copied from your old 256GB boot drive onto the new drive, its a very simple process. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023
    Options

It would help to know which 5000 model you have, there have been a bunch of different ones over the years. You state that your current drive is a 2590GB, which is 2.5TB, so unlikely to be right. Maybe you meant a 256GB drive? I have two 2TB SSDs in my PO5-640, mirrored, as my boot drive and a pair of 8TB HDDs for more offline storage. Normally on most of the 5000 machines that have the two M.2 slots for SSDs you would take the new drive and put it in the second slot, run some disk cloning software to copy the contents of the smaller drive to it, then remove the small drive, move the big one to the first slot and boot. Once you are sure everything is working right with the new big driver you can put the small one back in, wipe it fully and create a full sized data partition on it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Burchy1964
    Burchy1964 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options

ACER Predator Orion 5000 PO5-600s Gaming PC - Intel® Core™ i7, GTX 1660 Ti, 1 TB HDD & 256 GB SSD

Yes my mistake on the 256gb

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

OK, your system only has the one M.2 port for a SSD. That means you will want to pick up an external NVMe enclosure. They are pretty inexpensive and come with a USB interface. Drop the new, big, drive into the enclosure and connect it to the computer. Clone the 256GB internal SSD to the new drive. The cloning software (I used Macrium Reflect last time, but most should work) will resize the C: partition but leave the rest of the partition sizes alone. Once the cloning is complete shut down and disconnect power. Open the case and remove the SSD that's in there now and replace it with the newly cloned version on the big drive. Put the case back together, reconnect power and turn it on. It should boot to Windows as normal and show an extra 1500GB or so free on C:. At that point you are done. You can, if you wish, put the old drive in the enclosure then use Disk Management to wipe all partitions off it and create one 256GB partition to use as an external data drive.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.