Can I add additional storage drives to Predator [ORION 5000] PO5-600s (2020)?

Options
AmyLucia
AmyLucia Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2020 in Predator Desktops
I bought this PC in June/July, and am running out of space, I don't want to just crack open my case and scoot around the insides (Mainly because I am not all that familiar with the insides of a PC). It shipped with a 500gb SSD (OS) and a 1TB HDD, I was wandering if there was space left for further expansion without having to replace the drives already there?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,839 Trailblazer
    Options
    Your model has one M.2 slot for WiFi, one M.2 slot for the SSD and four SATA connectors on the MB for additional storage and the ODD. Normally one SATA port is for the ODD, one for a 2.5" HDD or SSD and two for 3.5" HDDs. So, in your case you either have room for one 2.5" and one 3.5" drive or room for two 3.5" drives. You should have power connectors for all those already, but you'll need a SATA data cable for each drive you add. Look at where you are using storage now, and what's being stored there. Likely too much stuff is being placed on the C: drive, which is your smallest. It's better to move documents, music, videos and the like to the HDD and only have the OS and apps on the system drive. Juggle as needed to free up space on the SSD and put it on the HDD, then decide if you really need another drive now. If you do I'd look at a very big drive in a 3.5" slot and reserve the 2.5" for another SSD in the future.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FerencDobos1984
    FerencDobos1984 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    billsey said:
    Your model has one M.2 slot for WiFi, one M.2 slot for the SSD and four SATA connectors on the MB for additional storage and the ODD. Normally one SATA port is for the ODD, one for a 2.5" HDD or SSD and two for 3.5" HDDs. So, in your case you either have room for one 2.5" and one 3.5" drive or room for two 3.5" drives. You should have power connectors for all those already, but you'll need a SATA data cable for each drive you add. Look at where you are using storage now, and what's being stored there. Likely too much stuff is being placed on the C: drive, which is your smallest. It's better to move documents, music, videos and the like to the HDD and only have the OS and apps on the system drive. Juggle as needed to free up space on the SSD and put it on the HDD, then decide if you really need another drive now. If you do I'd look at a very big drive in a 3.5" slot and reserve the 2.5" for another SSD in the future.
    Does it mean I can add two more 3.5's?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,839 Trailblazer
    Options
    If you have not used either of the 3.5" drive bays, yes.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.