Acer TC-390 Bios BOOT OPTIONS Removable Device option in the boot priority menu ?

Options
2»

Answers

• RONCARIOCA
    RONCARIOCA Member Posts: 42 Troubleshooter
    Options

ok… unsolved mystery.. when I get my hands on another newer machine, I will test it again.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,460 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options

Update. I just tried the Lenova, F2 to get into Bios and moved the boot priority to the removeable device (inserted). Save and Exit and rebooted to the USB but

My Acer, delete to enter, moved boot priority to removeable device (inserted) , save and exit. Skipped the USB and back to windows login.

I rebooted with F12 and got this screen. I selected the flash drive and it rebooted to my installation USB.

SO it is different on the ACER than my Lenovo laptop.

• RONCARIOCA
    Options

Using the same USB memory key : so the Lenovo booted automatically /directly to USB without user intervention ?

• Larryodie
    Options

Yes Yes Yes

7 characters too short ????

I can't say YES ????

• RONCARIOCA
    Options

7 characters too short ???? Thanks for confirmation.. so it is a mystery.

• Larryodie
    Options

After I changed the boot priority as I stated.

"I just tried the Lenova, F2 to get into Bios and moved the boot priority to the removeable device (inserted). Save and Exit and rebooted to the USB "

• RONCARIOCA
    Options

Thanks for the testing.

• RONCARIOCA
    Options

My brand new HP laptop Win 11. Boot priority set to USB device. Boots automatically without using F12.

• Larryodie
    Options

Acer has better security BUT make it difficult to boot a USB bootable ?????

• RONCARIOCA
    Options

I suspect it is a problem with the BIOS even though mine is up to date. Not easy to contact ACER support for an answer since the laptop is out of warranty for a feature that normally the average person would never have to use.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,420 Trailblazer
    Options

It's not a BIOS problem. Allowing a boot from a foreign device without user prompt is a big security hole and shouldn't be allowed on any modern machine. That a Lenovo model allows it is a problem with their systems, not a bug in Acer's.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    Options

I agree Billsey, and HP too allows it per Ronc's reply.

• RONCARIOCA
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ok. I resolved the issue. Setting USB boot in the BIOS is a two-step no so obvious procedure and different from other machines I have encountered see pics . The boot order menu lists either windows boot manager or USB but not both. You have to set one or the other in the boot priority list.

Step 1 pic : Boot 1 - Removable disk ( This refers to nothing. It is not the USB option). Windows boot manager is listed as boot option. Select Hard Disk Drive Priority line. Enter.

Step 2 pic : note Windows boot manager is 1st boot and (UEFI Verbatim) USB is 2nd boot

step 3 pic : Move Windows boot manager to 2nd boot and (UEFI Verbatim) USB to 1st boot. Move back to previous menu.

Step 4 pic : Now only meaningful boot options are (UEFI Verbatim) USB, CD \DVD, LAN. Windows boot manager no longer appears. Move UEFI USB to 1 st boot

Exit saving changes and usb boots automatically.

• RONCARIOCA
    Answer ✓
    Options

Then reset BIOS to boot normally from Windows boot manager.

• RONCARIOCA
    Answer ✓
    Options

The USB option only shows up in the Hard Disk Drive Priority list if the USB flash is already plugged in on BIOS boot.