Acer TC-390 Bios BOOT OPTIONS Removable Device option in the boot priority menu ?

Options
RONCARIOCA
RONCARIOCA Member Posts: 42 Troubleshooter
edited September 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Acer TC-390 desktop. What is the

Removable Device option in the boot priority menu ? Is It USB ?

Thanks

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and add issue detail]

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,387 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, removable devices are usually USB. Just use the F12 at boot up and any bootable USB devices should be on the list.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RONCARIOCA
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ok. I resolved the issue. Setting USB boot in the BIOS is a two-step no so obvious procedure and different from other machines I have encountered see pics . The boot order menu lists either windows boot manager or USB but not both. You have to set one or the other in the boot priority list.

Step 1 pic : Boot 1 - Removable disk ( This refers to nothing. It is not the USB option). Windows boot manager is listed as boot option. Select Hard Disk Drive Priority line. Enter.

Step 2 pic : note Windows boot manager is 1st boot and (UEFI Verbatim) USB is 2nd boot

step 3 pic : Move Windows boot manager to 2nd boot and (UEFI Verbatim) USB to 1st boot. Move back to previous menu.

Step 4 pic : Now only meaningful boot options are (UEFI Verbatim) USB, CD \DVD, LAN. Windows boot manager no longer appears. Move UEFI USB to 1 st boot

Exit saving changes and usb boots automatically.

• RONCARIOCA
    Answer ✓
    Options

Then reset BIOS to boot normally from Windows boot manager.

• RONCARIOCA
    Answer ✓
    Options

The USB option only shows up in the Hard Disk Drive Priority list if the USB flash is already plugged in on BIOS boot.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, removable devices are usually USB. Just use the F12 at boot up and any bootable USB devices should be on the list.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RONCARIOCA
    Options

Should not have to use F12. If I set 1 st boot to CD/DVD it will auto boot from disk . However, if I set 1 st boot to Removable device, it will not auto boot from USB ( it will boot manually from USB using F12).

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

This depends on how the usb drive is configured. Did you format the usb drive to fat32 and convert it to gpt?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • RONCARIOCA
    edited September 2023
    Options

it is FAT 32 MBR . Will boot by manual selection from F12 but not boot automatically according to boot priority setting to Removable Device. Acer TC 390 desktop.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Try converting the usb drive to gpt by opening the command prompt as administrator and typing these commands:
    diskpart
    list disk
    sel disk x
    clean
    convert gpt
    format fs=fat32 quick
    assign

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • RONCARIOCA
    Options

why do i want to convert to GPT ? It will boot when you do so manually via F12. It also boots fine automatically on my Toshiba laptop using boot priority.

The issue is with the Acer desktop, it will not boot automatically from USB even when boot priority is set to Removable Device.

• billsey
    Options

A UEFI system will not automatically boot from MBR, it requires GPT instead, ignoring the boot block that MBR uses.

• RONCARIOCA
    Options

That usb is made as a bootable UEFI USB . How is that possible if it is FAT32 ? I don't know.

It boots automatically on the Toshiba UEFI laptop when boot priority set to USB.

• RONCARIOCA
    Options

I will try out a few things like you suggest.

• RONCARIOCA
    Options

I tried using a bootable usb UEFI with GPT and FAT32.. same result. no auto booting per priority setting but boots via F12 boot menu.

• billsey
    Options

Microsoft doesn't really want you booting from removable media, except for tasks such as installing an OS, so they require the choice be asked.

• RONCARIOCA
    Options

MICROSOFT HAS NO CONTROL ON HOW THE BIOS BOOTS YOUR PC..

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,460 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options

Here is a video from almost 3 years ago that is the same as today.

I must have ben confused as I really thought that you could do it, independently

Perhaps, I was thinking about an older HP that I have abandoned ?

• RONCARIOCA
    Options

On my Toshiba laptop boots automatically from USB without using F12… You did not try that 3 years ago and used F12 instead. I guess something is wrong with my Desktop

• Larryodie
    Options

The poster of the video used the F12 key Oct 15 2020 on an ACER laptop.

Why would something be wrong with your desktop ?

My 2 year old Lenovo laptop requires an F12 too. Your Toshiba is probably older than Microsoft requirement.

MS may not change bios but I'll bet that MS dictates the booting operations security as Billsey stated.

• RONCARIOCA
    Options

Did you try the boot priority with USB as 1 st boot priority ?

If I get hold of a newer machine, I will try it.

• Larryodie
    Options

My Lenovo and Acer acts the same way as the video.

• RONCARIOCA
    Options

Why then can my TC390 auto boot from a CD/DVD and not from USB ? Why have the option to set boot priority in the BIOS and only disable USB priority booting ?

• RONCARIOCA
    Options

Did you set your 1 st boot priority to USB and not use F12 and just power on with boot usb connected ?

• Larryodie
    Options

F12 same as the VIDEO.

Neither my Lenovo nor Acer will boot directly.