Aspire TC-390 USB does not automatically boot per boot priority.

RONCARIOCA
RONCARIOCA Member Posts: 42 Troubleshooter
edited September 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I have a proven bootable UEFI USB that automatically boots on my laptop when boot priority in the ""BIOS" is set as 1 st priority : USB.

However when I try on my desktop Aspire TC-390 , it seems to ignore boot priority. It will however boot from DVD automatically if set in priority . But will not automatically boot from PC restart from same USB.

However, it will appear when selecting from manual Boot Menu (F12) . Secure Boot is disabled. 1st priority boot: Removable device (does not mention USB). Thanks

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

ENABLE Boot Menu

Save it via F10 Save then reboot.

A one time thing.

• RONCARIOCA

I don't understand what you mean by "Save it via F10" : My Boot menu ( via F12) in the BIOS is already enabled.

• Larryodie

Look at my picture. Enable then do a F10 to Save your changes and exit. Then reboot and tapping the F12 key.

• RONCARIOCA

my Boot Menu option is already enabled as yours is. I cursor over to Exit tab and Save changes and exit.

I know afterwards that F12 will work but my issue is when my first boot priority is set to " Removable Device", on reboot, the PC should automatically boot from the bootable USB connected to the PC without my having to select anything like when using F12.

• RONCARIOCA

Boot menus enabled. Boot priority set to Removable Device ( USB ? what else could it be?)

• Larryodie

Hmmm, I don't know as I just tried two USB's that I had made the create Windows. I have a Lenovo laptop and an Acer desktop. Both went thru the motions of booting (led blinked on the USB) but both booted to the regular sign in for window. They had always worked by inserting and powering on ??? Tomorrow I'll look at them more.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

• RONCARIOCA

Automatic priority booting works fine on an older Toshiba UEFI laptop I have . But my 2022 TC 390 will priority boot from DVD but not from USB . Strange that the option in the BIOS is called Removable Device and not USB.

• Larryodie

OK I got both of my units to boot the disk BUT I had to do an F12 and select the drive. See the picture.

• RONCARIOCA

Luckily there is a way using F12 and the Boot Menu to be able to boot from USB. But it is strange about usb and priority booting

• Larryodie

Theses USB's were made from the windows create installation.

I really thought that they booted automatically but not so as I had to do an F12.

• RONCARIOCA

It is strange. Mine were created using rufus. Boots automatically per boot priority setting on laptop but have to use F12 on my desktop.

I reset my BIOS to default by removing and re-installing the CMOS battery and setting up BIOS again to no avail.

• RONCARIOCA

: Strange when I set my ACER to Secure BooT disabled. All other options changed to LEGACY, and I stick a non-ufei usb flash key, the behaviour is different. On reboot the ACER will display : "Reboot and select proper boot device and insert proper boot media in selected device and press a key".

That message makes no sense… the sequence suggested makes no sense.

• RONCARIOCA

With boot priority set to Removable device: so actually with no usb installed, this message pops up (screen shows multiple keep press). I plug in a non UEFI usb and same message appears. I have to reboot and use F12 to select boot.

I almost think that the Removable Device option in the BIOS does not mean USB . But what does it refer to ?

• Larryodie

F9 resets BIOS to factory.

Your Mouse and Keyboard are USB ??

But be sure to enable your Boot Menu again as you've reset.

I'm confused now and beyond my expertise so maybe other's can help ??

• RONCARIOCA

I reset everything before posting. Pulling the CMOS battery was the surest hard reset. The default was Boot Menu enabled . Could always boot using F12 and Boot Menu . USB mouse and keyboard

• Larryodie

I had to use the F12 on my TC-895 as I posted and also a Lenovo laptop.

• RONCARIOCA

THANKS FOR THE HELP.

You mean the USB boot priority did not work on le laptop either ?? Strange

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

I think it's due to MS telling manufacturers what they are supposed to allow and what not by default. Removable devices are higher risk for EFI viruses, so the user is supposed to be forced to do a verification before booting from them. For some reason DVDs aren't considered as high of risk… Which doesn't really make sense.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie

They both worked the same. I had to do a F12 and select as my, picture shows.

• RONCARIOCA

first time I have every heard about the MS conspiracy .. Haha.. could be true.