All downloads are gone/removed? (Veriton M275)

Jomei
Jomei Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Hello,

i know, the Veriton M275 is an older device, but i can't find anything!
https://www.acer.com/us-en/support/product-support/Veriton%20M275/downloads

I need the latest BIOS, but the only available download is an "Acer Updater" Application.
Whats wrong here? Has Acer removed downloads for older devices?

Also weird:
The supportportal states that my S/N and SNID does not exists. It seems like Acer has removed older devices from the database. To be honest: a reason for me, to reconsider buying Acer Products…

I would appreciate any help. It seems like the data is still there (global-download.acer.com) but it's not displayed on the supportportal.

BR,
Jonathan

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,818 Trailblazer

Windows 7 OS is no longer supported by Microsoft and I believe that most Acer W7 devices have been removed from Acer Support or just show some drivers and the Acer Updater app. Acer Support for Windows 8.1 devices still continues although Microsoft ended W8.1 support on January 10, 2023.

• Jomei

Tinkerer

For reasons, i have to use PCI Hardware (yes PCI, not PCI Express), that's why older devices like this Veriton M275 are still usefull. As @fugadug correctly mentioned: BIOS is not Windows. I see no reason, to not provide BIOS updates, even for older products.

• Jomei

Tinkerer

Sorry, my last comment could be misunderstood. I do not expect new BIOS updates for older products.
    I only expect the existing updates to be downloadable.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Are Windows 7 updates still available?Support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020

We recommend you move to a Windows 11 PC to continue to receive security updates from Microsoft. The latest service pack for Windows 7 is Service Pack 1 (SP1). Learn how to get SP1. Support for Windows 7 RTM (without SP1) ended on April 9, 2013.

• Larryodie

So, you get updates for your computer with Windows support gone ?

Why would ACER or any other company spend $$$ on an old computer that Windows doesn't support ?

I copied and pasted good information.

• Larryodie

Does your Quadrant Computer Company supplied bios and other information to you a "Loyal Customer" for your unit ???

Evidently, you have never operated a business ???

• Jomei

Tinkerer

The funny (sad) thing about this is, that all the data is still present and downloadable:

global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/
    global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/
    global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Application/
    global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Document/User Manual/

It's just seems like the URLs have been removed from the support portal. You can still find alot of direct URLs via Google. Unfortunately, Google does not know everything.

I don't want to talk about Windows update EOL/EOS because this topic is about a BIOS file…
    Besides: Windows Updates are not important for me, because in my case, the system is not connected to the internet. I want to use the Veriton M275 for analog video capturing. There's so much professional PCI hardware, often even better, than todays products especially when it comes to analog video processing. And since todays computers don't have PCI slots anymore, i need older hardware.

But it doesn't really matter why i need it.
    Is there any real downside for Acer to provide BIOS update files of older products?

• Jomei

Tinkerer

Dear @laurent_14,

in this thread, you offered someone direct download links, when the support-portal did not work properly. You seem to have another way to access the download archive. Would you be so kind to provide me a download URL to the latest BIOS of the 'Veriton M275' desktop? I would be very grateful!

Best regards,
    Jonathan

• Larryodie

The downside would be "if something went wrong" and you reached out for support on a product that newer Acer Support personnel would have no knowledge.

Try to get Factory support on any car or computer that is out of warranty.

Granted if everything went right then all would be OK. But things do go wrong so Acer doesn't have to rehire retired support people.

• Larryodie

Here is a link

Looks like the last Bios was P01-B2 on 4/18/2011

Be sure that you have virus protection before downloading from this or any strange site. Good Luck

https://www.helpdrivers.com/desktops/Acer/Veriton/Veriton_M275/

• Jomei

Tinkerer

Thanks for your effort, but i don't trust those kind of websites. The only reliable source, is the vendor itself.

• Larryodie

What Version do you have now, installed ?

Have you called Acer Support ?

• Jomei

Tinkerer

The current version of my Veriton M275 is: P01-A4

I tried to contact Acer via Web-form (E-Mail), but that was not even possible because the form asks for a serialnumber before you can get in contact. Entering serialnumber or SNID results in: "doesn't exist"

• Jomei

Tinkerer

@fugadug
    > I can tell you how if you want. it's not difficult to get it.

sure, let me know!

• Jomei

Tinkerer

The Acer Veriton M275 has no UEFI, it's indeed a classic BIOS.
    But i was able to get the Hardware IDs using the "ComputerHardwareIDs.exe" tool.

Unfortunately, the Windows Update Catalog does not provide a BIOS file for any of the listed UUIDs.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\10.0.19041.0\x64>computerhardwareids.exe

Using the BIOS to gather information

Tool Information

computerhardwareids.exe version: 10.0.19041.685

Computer Information

BIOS Vendor: Acer
    BIOS Version String: P01-A4
    System BIOS Major Release: 8
    System BIOS Minor Release: 15

System Manufacturer: Acer
    System Family: Acer Desktop
    System Product Name: Veriton M275
    SKU Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

System Enclosure or Chassis Type: 03h

Baseboard Manufacturer: Acer
    Baseboard Product Name: Veriton M275

Hardware IDs

{cf7bcc20-166c-56cb-8755-57ef5c8a28db} <- Manufacturer + Family + ProductName + SKUNumber + BIOS Vendor + BIOS Version + BIOS Major Release + BIOS Minor Release
    {708195b0-8dc2-5de0-9ca8-252779b388ab} <- Manufacturer + Family + ProductName + BIOS Vendor + BIOS Version + BIOS Major Release + BIOS Minor Release
    {ecc85533-d70b-5bdb-921d-1dca9c312852} <- Manufacturer + ProductName + BIOS Vendor + BIOS Version + BIOS Major Release + BIOS Minor Release
    {7d4daf5c-4df6-56c8-be79-0841deb5578e} <- Manufacturer + Family + ProductName + SKUNumber + Baseboard Manufacturer + Baseboard Product
    {4c6a9170-3e3e-537c-9f07-7c27e06d4fbe} <- Manufacturer + Family + ProductName + SKUNumber
    {2a6ee060-c3ff-5a1d-af20-a0a1a7901bdf} <- Manufacturer + Family + ProductName
    {8ab7be08-4081-52d5-88bd-35108ce252c0} <- Manufacturer + SKUNumber + Baseboard Manufacturer + Baseboard Product
    {b7fb5f4e-32cc-543f-a561-425858b784d6} <- Manufacturer + SKUNumber
    {4ec42468-d0e2-51cf-a09f-14222ae12e64} <- Manufacturer + ProductName + Baseboard Manufacturer + Baseboard Product
    {e37720fd-81a4-5d22-8bd3-984c53e3ebf6} <- Manufacturer + ProductName
    {5bb8daae-2481-5fc8-b815-b2ef6a016d8d} <- Manufacturer + Family + Baseboard Manufacturer + Baseboard Product
    {4e8d3782-fe80-5e15-81a0-70f01b98c4ee} <- Manufacturer + Family
    {4abf1d25-cde6-52ec-97f7-23c7d028a22b} <- Manufacturer + Enclosure Type
    {6c8d925b-a021-5b09-bff2-8af0162ac7cd} <- Manufacturer + Baseboard Manufacturer + Baseboard Product
    {1e301734-5d49-5df4-9ed2-aa1c0a9dddda} <- Manufacturer

• Jomei

Tinkerer

I found the latest (?) Bios update for the Veriton M275 thanks to Google. At least I think P01.C2 is the latest.
    There seems to be a normal version and another one for Linux:

global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_P01.C2_A_A.zip
    global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_P01.C2L_A_A.zip

However, it seems like Acer has deployed measures to stop direct linking. A special "Acer ID" is necessary, otherwise the Webserver will not allow access to the file. Luckily, Google provided me a Website which has this Acer ID included:

global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_P01.C2_A_A.zip?acerid=634665104173671051

I updated the BIOS successfully and everything is fine now.

Thank you Acer, for NOT helping me.
    I will not buy any Acer products anymore, for sure!!