Acer Aspire XC-1780 SATA Ports? Internal HDD mounting?

Options
Frank_81
Frank_81 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hello everyone,

I am a new owner of an Acer Aspire XC-1780 and was a little suprised of its petite size when it was delivered. There is only one framing mount that fits an additional 3,5HDD, however if I am not mistaken, there are 3 sata data ports and 2 sata power ports. Am I missing something? Or am I correct to believe, only one sata HDD can be installed because of space restriction, but the ports would allow for more?
I need to have a second sata HDD for redundancy in this PC, so I am wondering if it's possible to install a sata to esata slot (i.e. if the sata data ports for it are there) and use the second HDD externally. Or if for someone reason, the motherboard allows only one of the sata data ports to be used and the 3 ports are just to have options of direction (which would be weird, but just to sure I wanted to ask).

Regards

Frank

The motherboard was shown in a previous post in this forum here:

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    Options

Use this cable that connects to the PSU that Acer has available for the purpose of adding that 3rd HDD in the Aspire XC-1780 desktop

• Frank_81

Tinkerer

edited June 2023
    Options

Hey Steven,

one cable like that is included. However: 1. That will only work for internal installation of an HDD. So getting just a second cable like that (unfortunately proprietary and somewhat expensive for what it is) wont solve the issue. Mind you, I need to install 2 HDDs.

I hope someone can comment on power issues. Because I dont really understand why Acer would put 3 sata data ports inside when there is no room to install more than one Sata device realistically. So I am thinking maybe in other PCs where this board is used, there is enough room and power for several internal HDDs, but in this one there isnt enough room, and since the PSU is afaik 180 watts, maybe there isnt enough power for an additional HDD connected on the second sata power port either. It should be, but who knows. Seriously, does anyone know :) ?

2. The bigger power pin does fit in my HDD, but the smaller of the two black pins doesnt fit in my WD HDD. Acer has put 2 other Sata data cables in the package, they fit the port, but both are too short to allow for installing an HDD in the existing mounting frame. It's not very thought out I have to say. The mounting frame allows only for the ports to be mounted directing at the top of the case, however the cables then are too short (and too stiff and not angled right) to allow for a connection.

Either way, unless there is some way to install more than 1 HDD inside the case, I need an external solution. But right now, I think that will be too much of a hassle, buying all the sata/esata cables and a slot and an esata external HDD case. I should have done better research to check if this PC case fits two 3,5 HDD.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,921 Trailblazer
    Options

The drive mounting bracket at the front of the machine has provisions for two drives, one mounted sideways from the other. Typically when fully loaded one SATA port is used by an ODD and the other two for SATA HDDs or SSDs mounted to that plate. A more typical configuration has only a SSD mounted in the M.2 slot on the motherboard and none of the SATA ports in use. They include one cable because you need it if you are going to put an ODD in and sell a second cable for those who want to mount more drives.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Frank_81

Tinkerer

Options

Hey Billsey,

thank you for your comment. I am not sure I understand the configuration of how to fit 2 HDDs inside could work. You can see the mounting frame in my 1780 in the picture. When the 3,5 inch HDD is inside the frame, the HDD fills it out completely. I dont see any other space or mounting points for a second 3,5 HDD, or any other drive that isnt directly on the motherboard, really. What am I missing?

• Frank_81

Tinkerer

Options

I have to correct myself a little, when you have a 3,5 inch HDD mounted in the frame there is some space underneath left (still inside the frame), maybe half an inch deep, left open. The second drive would have to be very slim (maybe a 2,5 inch drive?), and it would still be very cramped, if it fits at all.

• Frank_81

Tinkerer

Options

Ok, I think I got it now. On the backside of the mounting frame that's not initially obvious, there are mounting points for a smaller drive. A 2,5 SDD /HDD that's not thicker than around 7mm can fit. You do have to completely remove the frame from the PC to install the smaller drive in it's mounting points. Now I am wondering, is it ok to mount a 3,5 inch HDD in that frame and a 2,5 inch HDD/SSD, in terms of power consumption, since at least the 3,5 frame part is apparently intended to be for an optical drive primarily?

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,442 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options

For what it's worth, I mounted a SSD using cable ties in my TC-895, a year ago or so as it has no mechanical parts thus doesn't need to be level. I tied it in a location that it gets air but it doesn't get warm.

• Larryodie
    Options

There is mounts available from maybe ACER , Ebay etc but here is the way that I mounted my SSD.

• Larryodie
    Options

This Video is for a TC-1760 but maybe will help

I'm also wondering if you've thought about USB or Flash Drives for back up as cheaper and mobile but slower.

• Frank_81

Tinkerer

Options

Hey Larry,

thank you for your comment.

I have seen that video, it's quite interesting. Despite the similarities between the 1760 and the 1780 in general, the way additional drives are mounted differs. I dont see any points where I could install a mounting frame in the 1780 that was from another model, say the 1760. I have two 3,5 inch HDD that I wanted to use, and it was my bad that I didnt do due diligence to see if the 1780 can fit two 3,5 HDD. I just assumed so.

Now, if I can be certain that from a technical perspective, power consumption for instance or gerenal safety, it's alright to install one 3,5 HDD and a 2,5 HDD, I might go that route and get a slim 2,5 inch. Right now I am a little worried about Acer's specifications and if it's really safe to install one or two HDDs in the XC 1780, because I dont know if that mouting frame is just intended to be used with one SSD and an optical drive.

Like you said, I did think about using an external usb drive, and as it's probably the most simple way and I have a decent one spare.

Regards

• Larryodie
    Options

Maybe a docking station but honestly I'd look at a SSD drive.

I had a 2 GB hard drive on my old old computer buy I never though about using it on my TC-895.

I bought a Crucial TB SSD to back up my pictures and still have the 2GB in the old computer that's in the closet. I enjoy the speed of the SSD. I also have USB's and Flash's that I back up a laptop, often by physically moving the units.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1378550-REG/crucial_ct1000mx500ssd1_mx500_1tb_2_5_ssd.html

• billsey
    Options

This is what the SG shows for that drive mounting plate:

Under the plate is the optical drive cage:

Is yours different? Maybe they've done an internal rev to the design that isn't reflected in the SG?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Frank_81

Tinkerer

Options

Hey Billsey,

my 1780 does indeed look different. In my posted image above, that's what it looks like inside, I didnt remove anything inside the PC, just the outer tower cover plate. Acer apparently changed the whole mounting frame construction. Instead of one side panel for mounting stretching the whole height of the tower, it is a dedicated "cage".

That beind said, I did find out that on the underside of that cage, facing the motherboard, there are dedicated mounting points that allow for a 2,5 inch drive with a 7mm height. So theoretically, in terms of space and mounting points, you can fit one 3,5 HDD and one 2,5 inch HDD (slim profile 7mm) into this PC.

BUT, I dont know if the motherboard, PSU/power consumption, or something else, limits these theoretical options in any way.

Regards

• billsey
    edited July 2023
    Options

Yes, it looks like they need to update the service guide for us to match what they are actually shipping. :( The design is done to match specs for a fully populated system, so you shouldn't run into issues filling it up.