Cannot use Integrated GPU (Acer Predator AG3-605)

2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer

Proxmox is a virtual machine that runs as a guest under a host environment like Windows or Linux. It has separate configuration files that are probably set to only use the discrete adapter. You didn't mention this before. Makes a big difference.

Jack E/NJ

• 92lexus
    92lexus Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

Yes, but I could not even see Debian's GRUB loader when booting, so I don't think that this was linked to Proxmox's configuration files. And I did not recall changing any of those files, it worked after enabling the "Launch CSM" option. I don't know if that's related or not related to the issue, because it has worked but I couldn't find a valid explanation for this.

• 92lexus

Tinkerer

Actually I have added this in my /etc/default/grub configuration file:
    intel_i915.modeset=1

This did not seem to have any effect at first, but after changing the "Launch CSM" option it worked…

• JackE

Sorry. I seem to have a serious misunderstanding of where your machine actually started from.

My advice is to remove the dGPU, disable CSM, and first try to do a clean installation of Windows from a USB stick using Microsoft's USB installation media creation tool in BIOS UEFI mode on a GPT (not MBR) partitioned boot drive..

Then shrink the Windows partition to provide enough unallocated space for a Linux installation alongside Windows using a USB stick that was prepared for a GPT (not MBR) partitioned boot drive. Then you can set up the VM anyway your want.

There are many advantages to setting up a dual native boot configuration like this. And huge capacity SSDs are so plentiful and cheap these days, it's the way to go in your case.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

Please stay on and respond to this original thread. It's not gonna help having multiple threads on the exact same issue. As suggested, you should first try to clean install Windows without the dGPU if you can at least get a BIOS screen on the iGPU alone.

Jack E/NJ

• 92lexus

Tinkerer

Yes right, sorry. But what advantages does that have? It's already working like it should?

• JackE

»>It's already working like it should?»>

Do you mean it's already working as it should in Windows?

Jack E/NJ

• 92lexus

Tinkerer

I do not plan on using Windows on this machine. I only plan on using it with Proxmox

• JackE
    edited April 2023

Yes, I understand that. I'm trying to determine if it's a hardware issue or an operating system issue.

So does the iGPU work OK under Windows without the dGPU installed? Or if you prefer not to answer, does the iGPU work in the BIOS menu without the dGPU installed.

If the iGPU works OK by itself in Windows or the BIOS menu, then I'm gonnna guess that your Linux USB installation stick is probably not set up properly to install on a GPT partitioned boot drive in UEFI mode

Jack E/NJ

• 92lexus

Tinkerer

Q1: I am not sure, I have disconnected the HDD where Windows was installed on and yesterday I tried to use my HDD again but when I boot, I am not sure where I land, since I do not see anything on the screen and the computer makes a double beeping noise. When disconnecting the HDD again it directly boots into Proxmox, and there the iGPU is working. Although I have to mention that the iGPU worked previously with my Windows installation, since I saw that it always booted into Safe Mode.

Q2: No, it does not, it just loads me into Proxmox directly, meaning that I do not even see the Acer logo when booting. But when I removed the CMOS battery to reset my BIOS settings, the Acer logo appeared and I also managed to go to my BIOS settings.

It could very well be the case that I have not properly installed the Proxmox ISO on the USB installation media.

What are your thoughts?

• JackE

When disconnecting the HDD again it directly boots into Proxmox, and there the iGPU is working.

Hardware & iGPU seem OK. BIOS is probably being confused by which EFI partition to look for the trusted EFI file.

1. Where'd you get the Linux iso?
    2. Was Linux installed using a USB stick configured for an empty GPT partitioned boot drive & UEFI mode BIOS?
    3. Did you also have the Windows HDD connnected when you installed Linux?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Make sure you have the boot menu enabled in the boot option in the BIOS, then use F12 to choose the proper boot device at startup. It will normally default to the last boot device, so if you change it to Windows it should default to Windows in the future and you can use F12 to change that.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE

When disconnecting the HDD again it directly boots into Proxmox, and there the iGPU is working.

Hardware & iGPU seem OK. BIOS is probably being confused by which EFI partition to look for the trusted EFI file.

1. Where'd you get the Linux iso?
    2. Was Linux installed using a USB stick configured for an empty GPT partitioned boot drive & UEFI mode BIOS?
    3. Did you also have the Windows HDD connnected when you installed Linux?

Jack E/NJ

• 92lexus

Tinkerer

edited April 2023

Hello gentlemen, excuse me for the belated reply. I was busy trying to configure my server, but have come across a different problem with my Debian (Proxmox) installation, Now my server crashes after rebooting, it repeatedly states this message: systemd-journal [429]: failed to write entry (22 items, 747 bytes), ignoring: Read-only file system. The only option I have is to shut it off manually, but after rebooting I am not booted to my Proxmox installation, I have to reboot like 2-3 times until I am correctly booted to Proxmox. After interacting a bit with my server to see what could be the cause to this problem, it crashes again.

1. Here: https://www.proxmox.com/en/downloads/item/proxmox-ve-7-4-iso-installer
    2. I am afraid I do not know, I have used Balena Etcher to flash the ISO to the USB stick.
    3. I am pretty sure I did.

Excuse me for my vague answers, it has been over a month now since I have done that installation, and I think that I should probably reinstall Proxmox again. How do you suggest me to proceed toward a clean installation of Proxmox?

I think I should start looking into the HDD that still has a corrupted Windows installation on it. You suggested to properéy install Windows again, but isn't there a way to not rely on Windows, such as only having Debian (Proxmox) installed?

• JackE

I'm not sure what the base host operating system that Proxmox VE 7.4 installer is relying on? Proxmox seems a lot like VMWare which can installed and run under a Linux or Windows host environment in order to run and install bunch of virtual guest operating systems. I'm in fact using VMWare under a Windows host on this netbook though I'm responding now in native LinuxMint on the same multiboot netbook.

Jack E/NJ

• 92lexus

Tinkerer

Proxmox is based on Debian. Alright, I was thinking that Windows would take up too many resources and only having Debian would be better for using it as a server later on, hence why I chose Proxmox.

• JackE

Yes but what base Debian distro host operating system are you trying to install Proxmox on? I don't think it's a standalone operating system. And I'm not sure that Proxmox download iso includes the host OS installation at the same time? But it looks a lot like VMWare where it installs on top of a Debian base host OS like Ubuntu or a Windows host OS. But I think you must first choose and install a host OS. Unlike your grandfather's X-Windows, there isn't a whole lot of difference in resource-use by today's Linux & Windows GUIs. If it was mine, I'd probably install and get the hardware running right on either Mint21 or Win10. Then try to install Proxmox on top of it.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

That error message is because it can't write to the partition. Are you sure both drives are fully functional? Any chance the partition is full?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE

I don't think there's a functional base operating system on the boot drive anymore. It's probably corrupted or a boot drive failure. Probably best to try to fresh install either Windows or Linux and get everything and the iGPU working. Then go from there.

Jack E/NJ