Cannot use Integrated GPU (Acer Predator AG3-605)

92lexus
92lexus Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

edited April 2023 in Predator Desktops

Hello,
I have an Acer Predator AG3-605 and have removed it's dedicated GPU, with the goal of using it as a server. I was planning on using its internal GPU, but somehow when I boot up my computer now, with the HDMI cable connected to the motherboard, nothing displays on my screen.

I have checked my BIOS settings when the dedicated GPU was installed and haven't found an option to only use the internal GPU.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer

I suggest that you re-install the GPU card, boot back into Windows. Then check to see if the integrated GPU has been disabled in Device Manager display adapter folder. Simply re-enable it.

Jack E/NJ

• 92lexus

Tinkerer

edited April 2023

The thing is my Windows installation is kind of corrupted I guessing, it is only booting into safe mode, and I do not plan on using Windows but primarily Proxmox since I want to use it as a Server hence why I took out the dedicated GPU.

Do you have any idea why I do not have such an option to enable the integrated GPU in BIOS/UEFI?

I have the newest BIOS version for my PC that I can download here. Could it be that I need to install the Intel VGA drivers?

• JackE

A BIOS MUX switch option is often not available on some models. Any hidden options should be revealed by pressing Ctrl+S in any BIOS screen.

If you can boot Safe Mode, open Device Manager. Do you see two Display adapters with no red or yellow warnings?

Jack E/NJ

• 92lexus

Tinkerer

Unfortunately the last time I tried, I couldn't type anything in the Windows Search bar, although the keyboard is connected via USB. It somehow only recognized the Windows button and the Ctrl + Alt + Del shortcut.

I might try to connect a USB mouse. to see if it works.

• JackE

I have an Acer Predator AG3-605 and have removed it's dedicated GPU»Windows installation is kind of corrupted I guessing, it is only booting into safe mode

Where'd you get this machine?

Jack E/NJ

• 92lexus

Tinkerer

I had disconnected the HDD, where Windows is installed and it has been corrupted ever since

• JackE

Was the original ACER OEM factory-installed Windows version on the HDD?

Jack E/NJ

• 92lexus

Tinkerer

I believe so, but it originally came with Windows 8.1, I have not used that version since 2016 I believe. Does that matter?

• JackE

Mainly to find out if the machine's hidden factory OEM Windows reset partition was Win10 or an earlier version and still intact. Do you know if the integrated GPU has ever worked since you got it?

Jack E/NJ

• 92lexus

Tinkerer

Yes, when I removed the dedicated GPU and removed the CMOS battery for a few minutes to reset the BIOS configuration, upon booting up the PC, I saw the Acer logo and the BIOS setup screen.

After adjusting the BIOS settings and saving them it has stopped displaying anything on the screen.

I also remember Windows recognizing Intel HD as my internal GPU.

• JackE

»>I removed the dedicated GPU and removed the CMOS battery»>After adjusting the BIOS settings and saving them it has stopped displaying anything on the screen. »>

So remove the CMOS coin cell again. Then short its mainboard terminals for about about a minute. The BIOS might return to its default state which includes the integrated GPU. Check coin cell voltage. Should be 3.1 volts or higher. Then, before changing any BIOS defaults, let's make sure the Acer logo still reliably appears after a few power up/down cycles.

Jack E/NJ

• 92lexus

Tinkerer

I have tried a few times now but that does not work somehow. That leaves me to wonder why it even worked the first time :/

• 92lexus

Tinkerer

Actually it has worked once, surprisingly after my second reboot after removing the CMOS battery. It then booted to my corrupted Windows Installation and has stopped displaying anything ever since…

• JackE

Can you F2 on startup into the BIOS menu? Don't try to change anything in the menu. Post a phone photo of the BIOS Information tab if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• 92lexus

Tinkerer

Here you go.

• JackE

OK. Please post a phone photo of the BIOS Advanced tab if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

One big problem is the system date and time there. Set it to match the actual time and Windows will likely be nicer to you. (Hint: It's not 2013 any longer)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • 92lexus

Tinkerer

I have disabled the "Safe Boot" option in my BIOS and then enabled the "Launch CSM" option. This seems to have done the trick for me.

I am still figuring out how enabling this option has helped me solve my issue.

Thanks for the help anyways.

• JackE

The CSM option is basically legacy BIOS mode instead of UEFI mode. It is usually needed to be able to install Win7 or earlier Windows version. Win8.x & Win10 will also install with CSM enabled.

Jack E/NJ

• 92lexus

Tinkerer

Oh so that's why it booted into Windows without dedicated GPU, but could not boot into Proxmox?