Nitro 5 AN515-57-53SB Is my laptop compatible with a USB-C to DP cable?

k1zuna
k1zuna Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 10 in Nitro Gaming

I have an Nitro 5 AN515-57-53SB and my friend lend me his type-c to HDMI connector which I hope would allow me to connect my laptop to another external monitor since I am already utilizingm laptop's single HDMI port on another monitor. However, it did not display an video upon using said connector. I was wondering if a USB-C to DP cable would work on it instead?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Emma_
    Emma_ Moderator, Member Posts: 226 Moderator

Hello!!

@k1zuna

Your Nitro 5 AN515-57 has the following USB-Cs and what this port does:

1. USB Type-C / Thunderbolt™ 4 - Connects to USB devices with a USB Type-C connector. Supports Thunderbolt™ 4
    2. USB Type-C port - Connects to USB devices with a USB Type-C connector. Supports USB 3.2 Type-C, Gen 2 with transfer speeds up to 10 Gbps.

USB Type-C information

• USB 3.2 Gen 2 with transfer speeds up to 10 Gbps.
    • Supports DisplayPort™ audio/video output.
    • Compatible with Thunderbolt™ 4.
    • Delivers up to 3 A at 5 V DC for USB charging.

or

try to look at the Type-C port to check if it has a thunderbolt symbol or not. If so, your model is capable of displaying video output for that Type-C port. If not, that Type-C port just works like the regular USB ports without video output.

As a novelty for this Intel-based Nitro 5 AN515-57 series, there's HDMI 2.1 support (hooked into the Nvidia GPU), and the USB-C port supports Thunderbolt 4 and video output via DP; the previous Nitro 5s offered data-only via USB-C and HDMI 2.0b.

I have a Nitro 5. It is a USB Type-C port: USB 3.1 Gen 1, meaning it is capable of high-speed transfers up to 5 Gbps. You can use it for USB Type-C compatible smartphones, flash drives, and external hard drive.

Just like in standard DisplayPort connectors and cables, DisplayPort over USB-C can take advantage of the four high-speed data lanes in the USB Type-C connector and cable to provide 4K display resolutions and beyond on supported products.

Regards,

LunaNova14

• k1zuna
    k1zuna Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello, Luna. Thank you for responding to my inquiry.

After checking my thunderbolt port, I do not see any thunderbolt symbol on it. Does that mean that it does not support the USB C to DP output? Or does it still stand that my laptop's model is still able to do so without said symbol on the type c port?

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,226 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon
    edited March 2023
  • Emma_
    Emma_ Moderator, Member Posts: 226 Moderator

According to specs yes. Look here -   https://www.acer.com/ac/en/AE/content/model/NH.QCCEM.004

USB Type-C Detail

USB Type-C Port Supporting:

what a Thunderbolt™ 4 port hub looks like! As I would suggest that you look at your AN515-57 User’s Manual properly and at the Right View section diagram it shows and describes categorically that the Thunderbolt™ 4 Port is for these models "AN515-45 / AN515-57 / AN517-41 / AN517-54" in the top diagram of the manual and it says the following:

• #1 is a - USB Type-C / Thunderbolt™ 4 port - Connects to USB devices with a USB Type-C connector. Supports Thunderbolt™ 4 and displays.

So I can't see where your problem is? Here is the Right View of my Nitro 5 laptop which should be the same as yours and the "Thunderbolt™ 4 port" (which is the first port on the right side of the caption) should be the same for your AN515-57 and also the Acer manual top diagram of the Right View states that the "Thunderbolt™ 4 port" is for these Nitro 5 models; AN515-45 / AN515-57 / AN517-41 / AN517-54 that are all the same as it states in the manual, it can't be simpler than that.

Kindly check the given link for more details:

Regards,

LunaNova14

• Teddypel
    Teddypel Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello, how about AN515-44-R7ZU, it has a type c in it. Does this support Display Port?

• KJN9000000
    KJN9000000 Member Posts: 398 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

According to the web search results, the Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57-53SB model has a USB-C port that supports Thunderbolt 4 and video output via DP. This means you can connect a compatible monitor or VR headset to the USB-C port using a Thunderbolt 4 or DisplayPort cable. However, the USB-C port does not support USB-C charging, so you will need to use the AC adapter to power your laptop.