I have a Gateway GWNR71517 how do I access the BIOS?

LenR
LenR Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I installed a M.2 drive and it is not showing up in Disk Management so I figured it has to be enabled in the BIOS. I saw a video that said to press ESC when the Gateway logo shows up that didn't work, another post said F1 and if that doesn't work try F2. I have tried all these and none work. Help.

Best Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 11,418 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Anyway, try again with Esc, F1 and F2 hard when you turn on the computer or keep it pressed all the time at startup.
    Also try pressing Fn+F1 and Fn+F2.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• Stifler
    Stifler Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Hi all. I apologize for the English, I translated using google translate. Now to the topic. I also bought an NVME SSD today. And he also refused to work. Through trial and error, we found out that SSD drives with a SATA interface work on our laptop. It's frustrating, but given the price of the laptop, it can be forgiven. I ordered 1TB of memory, as I put it, I'll unsubscribe, while they tried to stick 128GB, everything worked.

Всем привет. Прошу прощение за английский, я переводил с помощью гугл транслейт. Теперь к теме. Я сегодня тоже купил SSD NVMe. И он тоже отказался работать. Путем проб и ошибок выяснили что работают на нашем ноутбуке SSD накопители с интерфейсом SATA. Это неприятно, но с учетом стоимости ноутбука это можно простить. Я заказал память на 1Тб, как поставлю отпишусь, пока пробовали воткнуть 128Гб все работало.

• Stifler

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

And by the way, you need to enter the BIOS on our laptop by pressing the DEL key. I have the same question. On our disk in memory there is a marked area for system recovery. As I understand it, Windows is installed there that came from the factory. What are the keyboard shortcuts if I suddenly want to restore the system from the factory?

И кстати зайти в биос на нашем ноуте надо нажимая клавишу ДЕЛ. У меня так же вопрос. На нашем диске в памяти есть размеченная область для восстановления системы. Я так понимаю там установлен виндовс что шел с завода. Какие сочетания клавишь если я вдруг захочу восстановить систему с завода?

Answers

• Alejandro_AC

Hi @LenR have you noticed if the BIOS access key appears on the first boot screen at the bottom left?

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

X (Twitter)

• Alejandro_AC
    Answer ✓

Anyway, try again with Esc, F1 and F2 hard when you turn on the computer or keep it pressed all the time at startup.
    Also try pressing Fn+F1 and Fn+F2.

X (Twitter)

• Have you tried pressing fn+esc and fn+f2?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • LenR

Tinkerer

Thanks for trying to help. I don't see anything in the lower left as it is booting up. I have not been able to try holding the keys yet because it decided to install a big update and I have to wait, but if any of this works I will be sure to up vote the one that works (hoping one works). I have been real pleased with this laptop so far, but not being able to access the bios would not be good.

• LenR

Tinkerer

Holding down ESC through the boot process seemed to do it. The BIOS does not recognise the NVME I installed. I wonder where I can find out which ones work with this?

• Alejandro_AC

The reasons for it not being recognized can be:

• wrong disk
    • disc incompatibility
    • disc misplaced in its slot, make sure it is inserted all the way
    • dirty connector (check it out, although I don't think I know the problem in this case)
    • faulty disk or board connector (I don't think it's the problem in this case)

I don't have access at the moment to the equipment's service manual and I don't know the type of SSD supported.

X (Twitter)

• LenR

Tinkerer

It is a little door on the back of the computer that has a M.2 slot under it. I used a Crucial PCie 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD and it doesn't look like the BIOS recognised it at all. So far all I have been able to obtain is the user manual which did not cover getting into the BIOS or what works in the slot. I would dearly love to obtain a service manual, but going to the Gateway site for the U.S it appears that there is nothing behind the home page in the way of manuals or drivers or anything. Thanks for helping me get into the BIOS.

• Alejandro_AC

Can you post a photo of the port?

X (Twitter)

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023

With the ssd plugged in, can you upload a picture of the bios info tab?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • LenR

Tinkerer

edited March 2023

Here is a picture of the Bios main page with the M.2 SSD installed.

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]

• Alejandro_AC

@LenR To see if the disk is recognized, please capture the BIOS tab:
    Advanced - Integrated Peripherals
    Thank you.

X (Twitter)

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited March 2023

Can you send some pictures of these guides?

[Edited the content to hide sensitive information]

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• LenR

Tinkerer

There is no tab “Integrated Devices” underAdvanced, but under Chipset there is an NVMe Configuration and under that it says "No NVME Device Found. This is true for two different Crutial and one Samsung NVMe devices that I have tried. It is disappointing but no big thing. The laptop performs fine other than that. A maintenance manual would be nice though.

• Can you test the ssd on another computer?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• LenR

Tinkerer

All three devices work on another computer.

• Alejandro_AC

@LenR try to access BIOS with the following procedure:
    Settings - update and security - recovery - advanced startup - restart now

Once reboot:

Troubleshoot - advanced options - UEFI firmware settings - reboot

It is possible that the reboot process will take time and the screen will go black, wait for it to finish and you will access the BIOS.

X (Twitter)

• LenR

Tinkerer

Alejejandro_AC, you got me to the BIOS with holding ESC just before the cow hide shows. I can reliabilly get to the BIOS now. The other problem with the NVMe not working I have decided is not worth more of my time. Thank you for getting me to the BIOS.

• Alejandro_AC

You're welcome, glad to be of help.
    Thank you.
    All the best.

X (Twitter)

• With the ssd plugged in, can you upload some pics of all the bios tabs?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Stifler

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Hi all. I apologize for the English, I translated using google translate. Now to the topic. I also bought an NVME SSD today. And he also refused to work. Through trial and error, we found out that SSD drives with a SATA interface work on our laptop. It's frustrating, but given the price of the laptop, it can be forgiven. I ordered 1TB of memory, as I put it, I'll unsubscribe, while they tried to stick 128GB, everything worked.

Всем привет. Прошу прощение за английский, я переводил с помощью гугл транслейт. Теперь к теме. Я сегодня тоже купил SSD NVMe. И он тоже отказался работать. Путем проб и ошибок выяснили что работают на нашем ноутбуке SSD накопители с интерфейсом SATA. Это неприятно, но с учетом стоимости ноутбука это можно простить. Я заказал память на 1Тб, как поставлю отпишусь, пока пробовали воткнуть 128Гб все работало.