Spin CP714-1WN-53M9 stuck at ChromeOS version 107

Options
JoeC2254
JoeC2254 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited February 2023 in Chromebooks

According to Chromium Dash, my version of the Spin 714 (brya-kano) is stuck at ChromeOS v107. Another version of the Spin 714 is at v109.

What version of the Spin 714 do I have? What are its differences from the other one? Why is there a delay?

Build details:

Google Chrome: Version 107.0.5304.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Platform: 15117.111.0 (Official Build) stable-channel brya

Channel: stable-channel

Firmware Version: Google_Kano.14505.79.0

ARC Enabled: true

ARC: 9196637

Enterprise Enrolled: false

Developer Mode: false

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,481 Trailblazer
    Options

There only seems to be one CP714-1WN model. There are CP713 models with 13 inch instead of 14 inch screens. You model should be getting automatic updates until the middle of 2030. The delay might be due simply by not leaving yoor machined on and connected long enough.

Jack E/NJ

• JoeC2254

Tinkerer

edited January 2023
    Options

No, this is not a problem with automatic uploads. There appears to be two versions of the Spin 714. One has ChromeOS 109 as the current stable release and the other, which I have, is at 107 for the current stable release.

Does anyone know what the difference is and why is my version delayed?

• JoeC2254

Tinkerer

Options

BTW, when I contacted Acer support I was given the talk about a hard reset. My device functions perfectly. ChromeOS 107 is the current stable release for my device. I tried to explain that it's not a problem with my device, it's the delay in the latest stable release. Every other device is at 109. When I wasn't get through, I asked for my ticket to be escalated and was escalated to disconnected.

• JackE
    Options

>>>Every other device is at 109.>>>

Was the 'every other device' the exact same CP714-1WN model? Or perhaps the CP713-3W. if it was a CP714-1W N, please post a link to where you saw this? If not, there may be hardware differences between the CP714-1WN and these every other devices.

Jack E/NJ

• JoeC2254

Tinkerer

Options

See the codename bryna-kano at:

You can see that my model is at 107. This is a premium device. Why am I two versions behind the rest of the world?

• JackE
    Options

But these other people don't have your model. Different hardware. I have no idea what the hardware differences are. Only google ChromeOS developers can probably answer your question. Sorry.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

You haven't yet told us which model you have. The full model number is on the same sticker as your serial number and is likely something like CP714-1WN-xxxx. What contry did you buy it in, what language is it configured with? Google is who decides when an OS update is sent out...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Options

But these other people don't have your model. Different hardware. I have no idea what the hardware differences are. Only google ChromeOS developers can probably answer your question. Sorry.

Jack E/NJ

• JoeC2254

Tinkerer

Options

Model: CP714-1WN-53M9

• William_mk2
    Options

@JoeC2254

Kindly go through the details captured from user manual designed for your computer.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    Options

@JoeC2254

Kindly follow the steps given below and check the os version

We need to do a power wash on your chrome book.  

Restart the chromebook.

On the login screen please don’t type the password.

Hold the Ctrl key + shift key + alt key on keyboard and then press the letter r once

It will show “Reset this pc”

Click on power wash and continue.. 

Please understand it will clear the local and user settings.. 

Please complete the final setup.. 

Connnect to wifi and type the wifi password

Login to chromebook with your regular password

It should work fine ..

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    Options

@JoeC2254

Kindly follow the details from the link given below.  It will show you how to perform a hard reset. 

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/496-reinstall-powerwash-the-chrome-os

Once the hard reset is completed try to check whether it is working fine by connecting to wireless.   If it is not connecting to a wifi at your home please try to connect to a wifi in a different place or try to go to a hot spot and try to connect to a different wifi and check. 

If you are still not satisfied with the google os version then you have to contact google.

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JoeC2254

Tinkerer

Options

William_mk2---you're an *****.

• William_mk2
    Options

@JoeC2254

I am really sorry for the inconvenience. I tried my best in checking the service manual and user manual for your model.

The issue which you are facing is related with google. It is not related with Acer. It is an operating system issue where you have to check with google to get the latest updates for your operating system. The maximum steps what we can do on chrome book is power wash and hard reset. I tried my best to help you in performing power wash and hard reset.

You are Welcome!

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JackE
    Options

As mentioned earlier, try getting the GoogleOS developers to answer why it;s not going to 1.09. However, it'll probably almost be like asking Microsoft or HP on their Win11 forums why the latest and greatest 22H2 isn't being installed on my Win11 HP machine like everybody else in the world. Almost never get a straight answer. But other than that, the machine seems to be performing quite nicely without 22H2. So I don't fret over it too much.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

Sometimes a powerwash will get past an issue with updates, but usually you either just wait for Google to push the latest to you or firce a load by switching to developer channel and then back.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • patrickkelly
    patrickkelly Member Posts: 92 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options

I switched to the beta channel and had Chrome OS 110. I switched back to the stable channel and got Chrome OS 107 and it wouldn't update to 109. I have no idea why but Acer seems determined on this.

I have Spin 714-1WN-53M9.

• JackE
    Options

As mentioned earlier, try getting the GoogleOS developers to answer why it;s not going to 1.09. However, it'll probably almost be like asking Microsoft or HP on their Win11 forums why the latest and greatest 22H2 isn't being installed on my Win11 HP machine like everybody else in the world. Almost never get a straight answer. But other than that, the machine seems to be performing quite nicely without 22H2. So I don't fret over it too much.

Jack E/NJ

• KenEsq
    KenEsq Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I have the same problem with a new machine...same model as your's. I can do an update by going to beta, but as soon as I go back to stable it goes back to 1.0.7. This is a problem that Acer should address with Google...it shouldn't be left to customers.

For reference. We also purchased a Lenovo Flex at the same time and that machine upgraded to the latest version of ChromeOs without issue.

• JackE
    edited February 2023
    Options

Maybe so. Just like Google should work with Acer. And Microsoft should work with Acer and vice-versa. But often they don't.

So as suggested earlier, try getting the GoogleOS developers to answer why it;s not going to 1.09 on your machine. They may have a very good reason. They may not. You can only find out by trying to ask Google.

We're only Acer users here trying to help other Acer users. We're not Acer or Google or Microsoft employees or tech service reps here on these forums, so it doesn't do much good telling us users what Acer or Google or Microsoft should be doing.. We already know that.

Jack E/NJ