Spin CP714-1WN-53M9 stuck at ChromeOS version 107

Options
2»

Answers

• KenEsq
    KenEsq Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I have requested support from Google, but it is Acer selling the machine and Acer should make sure their devices work properly with Google. Acer advertises that the machine will receive Google OS updates through a certain year...if it doesn't that's Acer's issue. I am giving this a week and if no response...I'll just return it and buy a different brand.

Acer should be on top of this stuff.

This is the forum where Acer pushes users to get support...they should at least be moniitoring it...although for an issue like this they should know about it and be posting a notice that they're working with Google on the problem.

I don't know why you're posting about Microsoft...they have absolutely nothing to do with this.

I am glad you "know" that...but the most helpful thing would be to tell people here to log support requests with Acer...as fixing this issue is ultimately their responsibility.

I'm not interested in further discussion with you on this issue...if someone else with this machine has figured out a solution that would be helpful as a response.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,586 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>I am giving this a week and if no response...I'll just return it and buy a different brand.>>>I'm not interested in further discussion with you on this issue.>>>

OK. Just advice . Don't wait. Return it ASAP.

Jack E/NJ

• KenEsq
    edited February 2023
    Options

I found the answer...if not a solution. Apparently, Acer used a motherboard that isn't widely used (at least yet) and there are bugs with it that prevent them releasing the latest OS. The motherboard used is KANO and you can look it up on this dashboard. Acer needs to work with Google to get this issue rectified. It is the only motherboard being sold that is still stuck on 1.0.7.xxx

I am on the beta channel now and haven't noticed any issues...and a bluetooth bug that was present on 1.0.7 seems to be fixed (Machine would lose connection to phones and not allow unlock at times).

Hope this at least gives you a spot to check on the problem.

https://chromiumdash.appspot.com/serving-builds?deviceCategory=ChromeOS

It would have been nice if Acer had made this data public...or at least linked to it from their knowledgebase.

• KenEsq
    Options

I should have credited the Reddit ChromeOs subreddit with getting me this info. It's a great resource when faced with these types of problems.

• MikeS_inFL
    MikeS_inFL Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited February 2023
    Options

Sure sounds like it's a hardware issue. I felt bad about buying another Acer but it was getting great reviews so I figured maybe they had their act together. This will be the last one of theirs I'll buy. Unfortunately, I also bought a 3 year warranty. Good money after bad...

So, just to be sure - I've also got an Acer Spin 714, model CP714-1WN-53M9 that won't update past ChromeOS / Browser version 107.

This chromebook isn't even 3 months old yet. If BestBuy had a better return policy, it would be returned.

Hey, on a positive note - Acer shows up near the top of the list at ChromiumDash when viewed by brandname.

• JoeC2254
    JoeC2254 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options

According to Chromium Dash, ChromeOS v111 is in beta for this model. To me, it looks like once they get the bug solved on this model, it will be current. A previous poster said his connections tell him it is being worked on. I hope that if we're patient, the problem with delayed updates will end.

• MikeS_inFL

Tinkerer

edited February 2023
    Options

Acer should have been in the loop with Google all along. These aren't called Chromebooks for nothing, are they?

Some folks say to contact Google and others say contact the manufacturer (Acer).

Since BOTH companies have their name on the product, they really should get their acts together.

I don't see how any company would buy a product with this much fingerpointing and no results after this long.

I just had a chat with Acer support. They don't have any idea how long it will take before these will be able to get back on the update cycle. Definitely NOT good. Version 109 is out now and these are still stuck at 107.

Looks like this is the ONLY CHROMEBOOK with so many troubles that it's 2 versions behind the rest.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Acer doesn't really have any control over the Google developers, though their weight in the industry does help. Google works with Acer engineers during the product development phase and into product release, but once the hardware is stable Google pretty much takes over the software. Since they are being slow in releasing an updated OS for this model it sounds like something they added to the newer OSes breaks on the hardware. Because things seem to run fine on the beta channel they likely have it fixed, but won't push the updates until that beta goes live as a release. So don't expect an updated OS until 111 comes out...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • patrickt141
    patrickt141 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Options

And trying to get help from Acer is as hopeless as getting a human at Amazon. Basically, my Spin 714 reached "end of life" on delivery. I'm running on the beta channel and it's currently at Chrome OS 111. The beta channel will update, the stable channel won't, and it's impossible to contact Acer.

• JackE
    Options

Be patient. Probably gonna take a while for Google OS developers to unleash all the advanced features of the Acer proprietary mainboards that the other mainboards don't have. 🙂 .

Jack E/NJ

• patrickt141
    patrickt141 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Options

I'm not patient. I switched to the beta channel where we get updates. I understand the problem but I don't understand Acer's silence on the matter. I think I see an HP, Lenovo, or Asus in my future. Maybe not, I'm 81.

• JackE
    Options

That's only about 8 in tech- or dog-years. Things move faster in the tech & dog worlds. You should be fine. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• MikeS_inFL

Tinkerer

Options

Looks like this model is up with the rest of them for the time being. I checked out Chromium Dash a moment ago and the Spin CP714-1WN  is now at 110 stable.

The odd thing is, it's the same rev and version as all the others. That makes me wonder if maybe there was just a typo somewhere and this machine was omitted from the update list.

• MikeS_inFL

Tinkerer

Options

Just thought of another maybe - maybe whatever fixes were necessary to accommodate this model were included in 110 and it's back in the mainstream list...

• JackE
    Options

@billsey >>>So don't expect an updated OS until 111 comes out...>>>>

Yeah! 111 sounds like one or two more to me than 110 or 109. Bigger numbers seem better. So I'd probably wait till at least 113 or maybe even 115 before jumping to any conclusions on if Acer is ahead, behind or equal to all the rest of them. All this should happen before year's end since we're now dealing in a dog-month timeframe when things move fast.

Jack E/NJ

• JoeC2254

Tinkerer

edited February 2023
    Options

Downloading ChromeOS v110 -- stable release--right now.

Looks like the wait is over.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Good to know. :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JoeC2254

Tinkerer

Options

Here we go again. The Acer Chromebook Spin 714 ( model: CP714-1WN-53M) is stuck at ChromeOS v110 while the other Spin 714 model moves on with the rest of the world to v111.

• JackE
    Options

And here I am again. Stilll stuck on trying to figure out what the advantage of 1.09 had over 1.07 other than it being a 0.02 bigger number. 🙂

Jack E/NJ