Aspire A315-58 Unreliable Operation of Video/Sound.

Options
Kayem
Kayem Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited January 2023 in Aspire Laptops

I have a little used Aspire A315-58 running Windows 11 originally bought brand new for occasional business use about a year ago. For reasons that I won't bore the reader with, I subsequently had less need for it and having a fairly high spec Desktop with a decent sound system, I have only recently been using the laptop for watching videos e.g. YouTube, I-Player etc.

I am finding that video operation frequently stalls after only a few minutes or less and, very occasionally, whilst the video continues to play, the sound drops out!

Inexplicably, it seemed, initially, during my extensive experimenting that the problem was worse when operating on battery power and irrespective of the charge state of the battery but as this also happens when plugged in, it suggests that the problem lies elsewhere . I even experimented with different power plans and checked the appropriate general system settings. No joy.

Usually, but not always, a "restart" cures the problem. Sometimes it takes several restarts! Also, if I do achieve stable operation of a selected video and then switch to another video, that one will then misbehave, as will the original or anything else selected even be it a stored I-player download or a video in a different browser,i.e. Microsoft Edge or Firefox.

I have tried clearing browser caches (as suggested), indeed all browser history etc. I have run Task Manager and Core Temp with no obvious issues noted. I have run Windows Updates and run full system scans with Norton but the problem persists.

Finally, I am connected to Virgin Media at home and there are no issues with that having run Speed Test in both Wi-Fi and Ethernet Mode, the latter of course being somewhat less relevant for a laptop!

I would point out that I am no technician or expert with only basic practical knowledge built up from normal user experience.

I am wondering if this problem might be either a "boot-up" or driver issue although I would have thought, unless I am mistaken, that the Windows Updates should have cured the latter. I have manually updated drivers in Windows 10, in the past, but have no idea, at present, if this is possible in Windows 11.

Any help with this extremely annoying issue would be much appreciated as whilst this model is not high spec, it ain't low spec either and I get consistently better results with no such problems on my cheap Smartphone and aged I-pad!

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>unless I am mistaken, that the Windows Updates should have cured the latter. I have manually updated drivers in Windows 10,>>>

Should have but often doesn't. It's still a work in progress,.

Go to this link to update the Win11 Acer OEM video drivers. You should also download and update the BIOS firmware to 1.31 to include some Win11 fixes.

Jack E/NJ

• Kayem

Tinkerer

Options

JackE,

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll check it out and get back to you.

Even with my very limited expertise, it does smack of a driver or OS issue.

As far as I can tell or recall, it seems fine immediately after booting up, i.e. when selecting the first video. Two or three times, I've had it running faultlessly in this mode for an hour or two. Things seem to be going pear-shaped when I select something else and only a reboot seems to cure it.

Sound drop-out with video stable has only happened a few times. It's mostly total stalling with and without that little circle doing its thing as if buffering, which it isn't, as the grey bar is always well ahead of the red one! It also affects live video in BBC online and downloaded videos in BBC I-Player. I do not currently have any video to plug into the USB port to see if that's affected as well. I'll save that experiment for later for whatever it's worth!

Last night I tried watching a series of clips and it seems that whereas previously, once stalled, they often wouldn't reset at all, they now seem to need repeated resets or, as I said, a system reboot. Whether or not that denotes progress, I wouldn't like to say for certain!

Grrrrr!

Watch this space!

• Kayem

Tinkerer

Options

JackE,

Tried the Acer site but wasn't sure which were the video drivers!

I did install the Audio one, for the hell of it.

That said, I just worked out how to find Device Manager in Win11 via the "Settings" icon. Couldn't suss it before!

Selected "Acer 315-58" and immediately found that an update was available despite Windows Update having been recently run. I seem to recall having this issue with Windows 10, As you will know, manual updates can be a pretty long-winded process but if push comes to shove....

Stand by!

• JackE
    Options

Kayem

Download and install ALL the video (VGA) driver updates for both the Intel & nvidia. I believe there are 4. Also check your BIOS version number by pressing WIN+R. Enter ' msinfo32'. Then reading the BIOS version number in the right pane entries.

Jack E/NJ

• Kayem

Tinkerer

Options

JackE,

Bios was correct version, I found that straight away!

Of the Acer site drivers, only two were installed, others being either incompatible or already installed.

I will experiment further and if the problem persists, I'll run through the Device Manager list and check everything the hard way!

And I'll keep you posted!

• Kayem

Tinkerer

Options

JackE,

Good news!

Burnt the midnight oil after my last posting and everything was working absolutely fine over a four-hour period. No problems.

Bad news!

Fired up the laptop this morning. Noted that a single Windows Update was available, so downloaded and installed it and rebooted for good measure. Selected a video on YouTube. It ran for about 30 seconds and stalled!

Did you say something about "Work In Progress"?

🤬

• William_mk2
    Options

@Kayem

Try windows x 

go to device manager 

expand display adapter

right click on display driver - uninstall 

Restart the computer 

It should work fine.. 

If it is still not working 

Uninstall the display adapter from device manager 

Dont restart the computer. 

Go to support.acer.com 

chose your country 

type snid or chose your model 

go to drivers 

Install the display driver 

it should work fine

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited January 2023
    Options

@Kayem

Here are some of the steps to increase the performance of your computer.  

Try windows + r - on the run window - type msconfig - click ok  

click on services

check - hide all microsoft services 

click on disable all

click on startup 

disable all the startup items 

click on apply - ok - restart the computer.   Loading process will be very fast now..

Note: You can always enable the services and startup items later or set it to normal startup from selective startup later on the General tab  

Try windows + r - on the run window - type appwiz.cpl - click ok  

it will show you the list of programs

remove all the unwanted third party programs. 

Please don’t remove any drivers.  

If you are not sure , please don’t remove it.  

Try windows + r - on the run window type temp - click ok - it will show you the bunch of files - try ctrl + a - select all files - press the shift key and click on delete files 

Try windows + r - on the run window type %temp% - click ok - It will show you the bunch of files - try ctrl + a - select all files - press the shift key and click on delete files 

If you are not able to remove some files - click on skip and then click click on continue.. 

Try windows + r - on the run window - type cleanmgr - click ok

click on all the boxes except recycle bin and thumnail

Delete the items which are checked 

Try windows x - on the menu - chose command prompt admin or power shell admin 

click on yes 

on the blue or black window type sfc /scannow 

It will be running till 100 %

Try to do a chrome reset 

open chrome

click on three dots on top right corner 

click on settings

Scroll down - go to advanced

click on restore setting to default

you will see reset settings - cancel

click on reset settings 

Open chrome 

it will work faster now

Please check the youtube now on chrome.

If it is still not working.

Try to install chrome without uninstalling it from appwiz.cpl

Open edge - go to google - type download chrome - Install the chrome without uninstalling from appwiz.cpl

Now try to use the youtube on chrome

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    Options

@Kayem

If it is still not working then we have to do a refresh and reset

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 

or 

on start - type here to search - type reset this pc - click on reset this pc on the top - click on get started 

It will show you keep my files and remove everything

chose keep my files 

chose the account - type the password - click on local reinstall - click on reset 

It will be in progress.. 

login to computer and start using the computer. 

If it is still not working 

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 

chose remove everything 

click on local reinstall - just remove my files - click on reset

It will be in progress

Note:

If you do refresh ( keep my files ) - all your personal files like pictures, music , documents , videos will still be intact.  Only the applications will be lost

If you do reset ( remove everything ) - you are doing a factory default.  It will become like a day one computer.  It will wipe out everything and take your computer to day one like a new computer. 

You can also do the recovery in an alternative way..

There are two alt keys on the keyboard. If you look at the bottom row of keyboard you can see the one on the left side of space bar and the other on the right side of space bar. The alt key on the right side will be looking like alt, alt gr or alt car. Turn off the computer. Hold the alt key on the left and tap f10 continuously.  It will go to repair mode. It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot.  If it is not going to repair mode, turn off the computer. Turn on the computer. Hold the right alt key ( alt gr or alt car or alt ) and then tap f10 continuously. It will go to chose an option continue and troubleshoot..

It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc

click on keep my files ( only applications will be lost )  chose your account and type your password  - click on local reinstall - click on reset

It will be in progress 

If the keep my files option is not working 

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – just remove my files – click on reset 

It will reinstall windows. 

If the just remove my files is not working.. 

Go to troubleshoot - click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – Fully clean the drive – click on reset 

It will reinstall windows. 

Note: You can also go to chose an option , continue , troubleshoot by holding the alt key + tapping f10 or alt gr + tapping f10 on the keyboard while turning on the computer.  Once you see the troubleshoot option, you can stop tapping the f10 and stop holding the alt key.  Then you can try the keep my files and remove everything ( just remove by files and fully clean the drive ) by following the steps which was mentioned above. 

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    edited January 2023
    Options

@Kayem

If it is still not working.

Try this method..

On a different working computer. 

Go to the website 

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11 for Windows 11

Below the info Create Windows 10 installation media

click on download tool now..  Install the windows 11

If it is Windows 10..

It will download the windows media creation tool - click on media creation file on the lower left corner.

Insert a blank 8 gb flash drive 

it will download and install the windows 10 on the blank flash drive.. 

Now insert the flash drive on the broken computer

Tap f2 while turning on the computer.

It will go to bios

go to main menu - f12 boot menu - change it to enabled

go to boot options

boot mode - uefi

secure boot - enabled

f10 - save the changes

Tap f12 while turning on the computer. It will show the boot menu

Boot it using flash drive..

click on install

chose custom

on where do you want to install windows screen - remove all the partitions

It will become like one single unallocated space  

There is no need to format it.. 

chose the unallocated space 

click on next 

It will install the operating system. 

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    Answer ✓
    Options

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JackE
    Options

>>>Noted that a single Windows Update was available, so downloaded and installed it and rebooted for good measure. Selected a video on YouTube. It ran for about 30 seconds and stalled!>>>Did you say something about "Work In Progress"?>>>

Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. If System Protection is turned on. Click System Restore button. Click next. Do you see an automatic restore point with a time stamp when you installed the single update this morning?

Jack E/NJ

• Kayem

Tinkerer

Options

William,

Crikey, thats a LOT of info!

All duly noted and many thanks for your help. By the way, I don't have Chrome installed, just Edge and Firefox and prefer to use the latter.

JackE,

I didn't see any automatic restore point, as you refer to, but I am now looking in settings and can see the options for restoring and resetting. As the laptop has no required personal files (I keep those on my Win10 desktop PC) and just one or two applications, including Norton, a gradual restore seems to be the way to go at this point, saving the "nuclear option" if all else fails! It's been a while since I had to do any of this and my current desktop PC has never given me any problems in the past seven years or so since I bought it. I'm guessing that, at that time, Microsoft had sorted out most, if not all, of the Win10 bugs! Having a Win10 PC was one reason why I was more comfortable buying a Win11 laptop! I've never had a laptop before or even used one!

As I said the laptop was originally bought with a specific purpose in mind (not for video watching!) but circumstances changed and it seemed a shame to leave it languishing in a bag only removing it for the occasional battery and email checks! It's nice to put it on the coffee table, sit in an armchair, and don my headphones! 😊

Well, at least it would be if...blah, blah, etc. etc.

I will report back in due course but it might take a few days, so bear with me everybody!

• JackE
    Options

There seems to have been issues with the forum servers over the weekend. Very slow response and some threads don't seem to be working properly.

If you tried to use the generic Microsoft Win11 install using the USB media creation tool, you must first enable the F12 boot option in the BIOS Main tab. You may also have to set and save a supervisor password and re-enter the BIOS with the passowrd to disable secure boot get F12 boot option to work.

The way it's done is to tap F12 on startup to reveal the F12 boot option to allow you to boot from the generic Win11 USB installation stick. Once installed, the Norton remnants should be gone but so will the ability to do an Acer OEM Win11 factory reset with the original Norton trial and all the factory OEM drivers.

The generic install may or may not give you a fully functional machine. For that, you'll have to go to this link to download and install the OEM device driver updates that seem be giving problems in Device Manager.

Jack E/NJ

• William_mk2
    Options

@Kayem

I checked your PM.

I am glad your problem is fixed !!! You are always Welcome!

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Kayem

Tinkerer

Options

Problem now sorted after two internal system recoveries.

After the first basic recovery, I downloaded and installed security software (360) that I was already subscribed to but did so without uninstalling (we live and learn!) the Acer included different and trial version (U) from the same company. The problem persisted and I was unable to uninstall the trial version. I contacted "N" Support and obtained remote assistance who supposedly fixed it despite it still being identified with the name of the trial version. I queried this during the session but was assured all would be well. It wasn't! Videos continued to keep stopping after about 30- 60 seconds.

I tried to contact "N" support again, got connected, then got put on hold for two hours, so gave up!

I then elected to do a second and more aggressive internal recovery, following which I was able to uninstall the trial software and repeatedly test video again i.e. shutting down and restarting the laptop each time. It did, however mean running temporarily with no network protection which I was unable to switch back on in "Settings". I presumed that this was tied to the third party software which I had uninstalled. All other Windows security features had remained active.

Once satisfied that all was well, I reinstalled 360 and thoroughly retested as before.

Problem solved!

Fortunately, my laptop only had a couple of additional applications on it or it would have been a much more time consuming job to put everything back. Been there. Done it.

So, I strongly suspect that, in this case, the trial software and downloaded versions were clashing.

I had a similar issue some years ago with two different video editors installed, one affecting the other when only one was in use. A slightly different case, admittedly, but as I understand it, the system is always looking at everything with files running in the background so that might certainly explain issues of this nature where there might be software incompatibilities.

I've abbreviated certain info above because it came to light, from a contributor to this matter, that this forum can perhaps hold up postings or not post comments unless certain product names are disguised. Not knowing this and with such a comment of mine inexplicably refusing to post, I had to revert to private messaging!

Many thanks to both contributors.

• William_mk2
    Options

@Kayem

Thanks for your great explanations and concerns.

I am glad your problem is fixed !!! You are always Welcome!

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JackE
    Options

>>>Problem now sorted after two internal system recoveries.>>>I downloaded and installed security software (360)>>>I tried to contact "N" support again, got connected, then got put on hold for two hours, so gave up!>>>>

What's "360"? Who's "N"? Is this some kinda code? 😂 Congratulations anyway. And, despite the automated forum obstacles for doing so, thanks for posting the solution so that others user might benefit 🙂

Jack E/NJ