Aspire A315-58 Unreliable Operation of Video/Sound.

KayemKayem Member Posts: 0 Newbie

I have a little used Aspire A315-58 running Windows 11 originally bought brand new for occasional business use about a year ago. For reasons that I won't bore the reader with, I subsequently had less need for it and having a fairly high spec Desktop with a decent sound system, I have only recently been using the laptop for watching videos e.g. YouTube, I-Player etc.

I am finding that video operation frequently stalls after only a few minutes or less and, very occasionally, whilst the video continues to play, the sound drops out!

Inexplicably, it seemed, initially, during my extensive experimenting that the problem was worse when operating on battery power and irrespective of the charge state of the battery but as this also happens when plugged in, it suggests that the problem lies elsewhere . I even experimented with different power plans and checked the appropriate general system settings. No joy.

Usually, but not always, a "restart" cures the problem. Sometimes it takes several restarts! Also, if I do achieve stable operation of a selected video and then switch to another video, that one will then misbehave, as will the original or anything else selected even be it a stored I-player download or a video in a different browser,i.e. Microsoft Edge or Firefox.

I have tried clearing browser caches (as suggested), indeed all browser history etc. I have run Task Manager and Core Temp with no obvious issues noted. I have run Windows Updates and run full system scans with Norton but the problem persists.

Finally, I am connected to Virgin Media at home and there are no issues with that having run Speed Test in both Wi-Fi and Ethernet Mode, the latter of course being somewhat less relevant for a laptop!

I would point out that I am no technician or expert with only basic practical knowledge built up from normal user experience.

I am wondering if this problem might be either a "boot-up" or driver issue although I would have thought, unless I am mistaken, that the Windows Updates should have cured the latter. I have manually updated drivers in Windows 10, in the past, but have no idea, at present, if this is possible in Windows 11.

Any help with this extremely annoying issue would be much appreciated as whilst this model is not high spec, it ain't low spec either and I get consistently better results with no such problems on my cheap Smartphone and aged I-pad!

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]