Acer Aspire A515-45 (brand new) unexpected reboot, random restart

Options
Green_Python
Green_Python Member Posts: 2 New User
edited December 2022 in Aspire Laptops

Hello. I just bought a brand new Acer Aspire A515-45-R58W laptop and experienced a sudden screen freeze followed by a reboot.

Information about the laptop:

• - Acer Aspire A515-45-R58W (NX.A84EP.00E)
  • - Production date: 2022
  • - AMD Ryzen 5500U processor
  • - Integrated Raden Graphics
  • - 8GB DDR4 RAM (soldered) & 1 free slot
  • - 512GB M.2 WD SSD
  • - MediaTek MT7921 WiFi 6 module
  • - Factory pre-installed Windows 11 Home (with all possible OS and driver updates for today)
  • - BIOS v1.10 (from the factory, not upgraded)
  • - No changes were made to the hardware, even the laptop case was not opened.
  • - Power-on time of this laptop is only 10 hours (as read form SSD info)

The laptop was running on battery and it was about 80% charged (so it's not battery related).

The reboot happened under very light load (while viewing photos and personal video clips taken on the phone and sent to the computer, locally), so overheating due to high load cannot be the cause.

When viewing a local video file in the built-in Windows 11 media player, the screen just froze for a second, then turned completely black and the reboot process began with the appearance of the Acer logo.

In the Event log there is only an entry about "unexpected shutdown", nothing else.

After the reboot, I ran the same video file, and it played without the slightest problem, so the problems with the file itself, codecs, video drivers etc. excluded.

I started searching the forums, and found a frighteningly many reports of similar random reboots with this or similar laptop models from Acer. Just one of them (of many) is in the link below, there are several people reports of similar problem in that thread:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/672335/acer-aspire-5-a515-45g-restarts-itself-while-working

Are there people who have encountered the same problem on this model of laptop or similar?

Did anyone manage to find any solution or is it a *QUALITY CONTROL PROBLEM* from Acer?

Is it possible to contact the manufacturer directly to get some explanation from it about why right now they are selling computers with a defect which has been present for a long time (at least several months) and do not notify users about this before buying and even do not offer any official solutions?

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

Could you please try a battery reset and see whether it fixes the problem, turn off the laptop, disconnect from mains, follow the instructions in the video, leave the laptop to rest for 15-20 Minutes, reconnect AC adapter and fully charge the battery before trying to start the laptop, 1 in my snip is the battery reset pinhole.

Notebooks - How to Reset an Internal Battery - YouTube

• leobaldoneto
    leobaldoneto Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Options
  • Dimas80
    Dimas80 Member Posts: 22 Networker
    Options

My acer-aspire-5-a515-45-r4p7 laptop has exactly the same problem.
    For a long time I could not understand the reason for spontaneous reboots, but I noticed that the laptop often reboots when the notification sound from the messenger plays, then I realized that the problem was in the sound card. To check, I disabled the sound card in the device manager and the reboot stopped.
    I tried many versions of Realtek drivers, none of the drivers solved the problem.

• tempcasa
    tempcasa Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Thanks! Disabling the audio driver has stopped the reboots!

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited May 2023
    Options

What you are experiencing does happen NOT only to AMD CPU Nitro models like your AN515-45 laptop, but also to the Intel CPU Nitro models too, I've got a Nitro 5 AN515-56 and this happened to my laptop when it was a month old and new, for no reason, what I did is the following and after doing the reset it never ever happened again, and that is 12 months ago, so do this:

Turn your Nitro 5 laptop off completely, open the back cover and disconnect and take the main battery out first (after that, press the keyboard power button for 10sec to discharge all the power out of the laptops circuitries') then disconnect the bios battery from the mobo plug (see the caption below) and then and straight after disconnecting the bios battery plug, have a paper clip to short the +&- pins out, this resets in the CMOS of the laptop to be reset also, then take the ram out and leave the laptop like that for 15min with all parts and battery disconnected.

AN515-45 laptops RTC/BIOS battery removal

All the above, resets the Super IO and the bios chips of the laptop, after 15min reconnect all components, as that will reset the laptop and it will make it work and reboot 100%. Btw, I've got a Nitro 5 laptop also, and this happened to me, and this is how I fixed the black screen, as after doing this all the above (12 months ago) my Nitro 5 laptops has worked perfectly even since.

Note: make sure that your laptop has the latest BIOS and Firmware versions installed, as the AN515-45s last BIOS is the “1.Enable Win11 SV2 Support” version 1.10 and the Firmware “Update Nvidia discrete VGA VBIOS and improve performance” version v102a which greatly assists in the performance of your laptop, especially with the AMD chipset and to improve the NVidia GPU! Be very careful and do all the BIOS and Firmware updates properly and follow the Acer guides to do these updates, as Acer warns every user "Updating the system BIOS incorrectly may damage your Acer product. Proceed with caution" as I take no responsibility if you do these updates wrongly and you brick your laptop. Btw, I've done all this to my Nitro 5 AN515-56 and my laptop performs perfectly within gaming and general usage, with NO crashes, freezes or anything that hinders this great laptop performance, as I'm very happy with my Nitro 5 laptop, never had problems and this laptop is being used everyday and sometimes 10 hours a day or more by n=myself and my wife and grandkids 😁.

What you need to remember is this, these gaming laptops need to be setup properly and be updated always to the latest drivers, they are not laptops that can be left idle and expect them to perform perfectly, especially with the AMD CPU and its integrated graphics and chipset drivers, that is why you need to make sure that you have the latest Win-11 windows updates, NVidia GPU drivers (make sure you uninstall all previous old NVidia drivers) before installing the latest NVidia driver, and make sure that all AMD drivers are also up to date, like chipset, graphics as doing all the above will make your Nitro 5 work perfectly and 100% without any freezes or crashes.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,451 Trailblazer
    Options

Maybe the battery was never drained then fully charged (complete cycle) for BIOS and Microsoft ACPI battery control protocol. Set the Power Plan to Balanced, if you cannot find that, reset the Power Plan to default settings and then select the Balanced plan, in advanced set the low Battery limit between 7-10%, and action to: hibernate, and the low battery alert to 20% (turn on battery saver). Reboot and unplug the power adapter and let the battery drain till the laptop turns itself off (hibernates). Plug in the adapter and fully charge the battery without starting the laptop (about 90 minutes). When the charge light turns blue wait a few extra minutes and boot to Windows. BIOS and Windows11 now registered a complete charge cycle and all values in Battery Meter and Battery Report will be accurate. Only need to do this procedure one time after a new battery is installed.

• bumbaka04
    bumbaka04 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I have this same problem on my Acer Aspire A515-45 with amd ryzen 5500u, I bought it in 2021 and it came with windows 10.

It slows or lags when plugged in charging under 40%, after crossing 40% it does not lag and becomes normal. Also I just sleep my laptop everytime, and after about every 3-5 days of uptime, it restarts randomly.

I tried formatting, clean installing windows several times, and also downgrading the bios firmware, but none of it helped. Please tell if you've found any solution.