ssd died, bought a new one, did a clean install now; no shift key in acer nitro 5 AN515-54-5812.

francisvolh
francisvolh Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2022 in Nitro Gaming

hello community

first of all thanks for taking the time to read this. and apologies the lack of caps, i just cant use my shift key.

long story short, a couple of days, i got a no bootable device error in acer nitro 5 AN515-54-5812. took to the geek squad, and they notice the ssd was defective, because they couldnt boot from a usb key at all.

so i bought a new ssd, replaced it today, and boom. i have a systema again. but now its windows 10 home, not pro, and of course missing all the app from acer. which is okay, i guess.

main issues is that i am missing the shift key completely. caps lock works. but nothing i do has brought back the shift key.

i have followed at least 10 different steps including the ones listed here

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/582834/shift-key-toggle-issue-nitro-an515-54

https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/shift-keys-are-not-working-newly-installed-ssd-drive-and-windows-10.439706/

i have installed some, but not all, the drivers from the acer website for my model of laptop, including the touchpad, chipset, irst, io drivers, and nothing changes.

i have disabled sticky keys, filter keys, i went to device manager and uninstalled the driver for the keyboard, and restarted, and nothing. this driver shows as generic though.

i have read i may need to get the actual driver from the manufacturer, which is not in the acer website for the model, but not even that has worked , from a couple of half decent websites.

simply no shift key.

also tried installing nitro sense, but it just wont load up. it shows in my start button, but it wont load after a few seconds of the pointer having the blue circle running.

any advice would be greatly appreciated111..... those were meant to be exclamation marks, sorry i cant just keep going to character map every time. hashtag sad.

francis

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,933 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

With the "Shift Key" its got nothing to do with the drivers (like you already tried out) or replacing to a new SSD drive, the problem is that you have a keyboard Shift Key issue that means that this key is faulty and/or could also be a connection problem, try to disconnect and reconnect the keyboard cable and see if that fixes the problem otherwise replace the keyboard with a new one. With the Win-10 installing Home version, that is because the laptop and your registration with Microsoft is for a Win-10 Home and not Pro, for Pro to get activated you need to reinstall the Pro key so that the 25-digit Pro key gets activated, read the Microsoft activation guide. Also, its great practice that you periodically back your SSD boot and personal files drive up with a software like Macrium Reflect 8.0 and you also install their preboot restore feature that makes it very easy to restore whenever you get a damaged SSD boot drive or an inoperable boot drive that has errors, which I do every few days, just some good advice for you, as this software reinstalls everything that you have backed up.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,933 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

With the "Shift Key" its got nothing to do with the drivers (like you already tried out) or replacing to a new SSD drive, the problem is that you have a keyboard Shift Key issue that means that this key is faulty and/or could also be a connection problem, try to disconnect and reconnect the keyboard cable and see if that fixes the problem otherwise replace the keyboard with a new one. With the Win-10 installing Home version, that is because the laptop and your registration with Microsoft is for a Win-10 Home and not Pro, for Pro to get activated you need to reinstall the Pro key so that the 25-digit Pro key gets activated, read the Microsoft activation guide. Also, its great practice that you periodically back your SSD boot and personal files drive up with a software like Macrium Reflect 8.0 and you also install their preboot restore feature that makes it very easy to restore whenever you get a damaged SSD boot drive or an inoperable boot drive that has errors, which I do every few days, just some good advice for you, as this software reinstalls everything that you have backed up.

• francisvolh
    francisvolh Member Posts: 2 New User

@StevenGen thanks! I checked the cables as you suggested, and now the shift key is back! So I will say that was the issue, and not software related! thanks a lot!