re-installing the Windows 7 OS, hardware: Aspire E1-731

Options
2»

Answers

• Traceyad2032
    Traceyad2032 Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
    Options

I have a strange problem: When I run [chkdsk c: /v/r] from a DOS prompt with an SSD installed (Crucial CT500MX500SSD1), rebooting the computer just reboots back to the Desktop without running chkdsk 8-(

Does anyone else have this strange problem?

Please advise.

Thanks, Tracey

I just trialed AOMEI Backupper Pro that can boot from a USB drive and was able to run chkdsk c:/v/r on the SSD.

When I had an HDD, I could run chkdsk c: /v/r and it would take about 2 hours and 15 minutes to run.

I can connect the SSD to the computer via [USB to SATA cable] and run chkdsk <drive>:/v/r.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Best way to run chkdsk C : is when it's not the boot drive Meaning boot from a Win7 CD or USB. Then run chkdsk C: from the CD or USB

Jack E/NJ

• Traceyad2032
    Traceyad2032 Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
    Options

How can I disable the Acer Backup Utility?

When booting from a windows usb drive, sometimes the Acer Backup Utility commandeers the boot process and will not allow me to access the usb drive. When I cancel the Acer Backup Utility, it just restarts the Acer Backup Utility .

It always happens (I found out) when I re-install from my system disks with a USB drive plugged in.

Since then I re-installed (again w/o the boot stick plugged in) , but the Acer Backup Utility still sometimes appears.

Please advise.

Thanks, Tracey

It looks like a Windows 3 dialog box, but the mouse does not work so I have to navigate by the tab key

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Turn machine on and immediately tap F2 to enter the BIOS menu. In the BIOS MAIN tab, enable the F12 boot option. And disable the D2D recovery option. Press F10 to save settings and exit BIOS menu. Turn machine off again. Insert bootable USB stick. Turn machine and immediately tap the F12 key to boot from the USB stick.

Also. where did you get the bootable USB stick?

Jack E/NJ