Aspire TC-875 model DD17ES.Unable to restore after Win11 (262150 error)

MaxTim
MaxTim Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited August 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Hello. I have an Aspire TC-875 model DD17ES. The other day a Microsoft box popped up inviting to update to Win11. Stupidly, I clicked to update. 
Initially on reboot saw a red boxed invalid signature error. So followed troubleshooting and turned off signature in the bios. 
Reboot only went to the Acer logo and no further even after several hours.
Further troubleshooting said that I would have to proceed through recovery.
I ordered the recovery USB from Acer.
Following instructions included with the USB drive I hit F12, selected USB recovery and now am getting the 262150 error NAPPHDD.exe autocheck failed.
What do I do from here?
Thank you!
( edited the title to add the model name )

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I believe that error shows up because Acer's recovery image expects AHCI mode instead of iRST. Try changing that in the BIOS then retry the recovery image.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MaxTim

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Thanks to @billsey and others across different threads as well as research, here is the solution to my problem. I'll lay it out here for others who have the same issues in the future, especially those who might be computer illiterate. This is what worked for me, of course your computer may be different.

BACKGROUND: 
    I had Win10 and received a Microsoft pop-up asking if I wanted to upgrade to Win11. I clicked, "Yes." The computer installed Win11 and rebooted, gave an error and then would not boot.

1. Invalid signature error (big red box):
         A. Turn off the computer by holding down the power button for at least five seconds and then re-start the computer. Immediately and continuously tap the "delete" button as it starts  to enter the bios.
         B. Click "Authentication."
         C. Click "Secure Boot" and select "Disabled" then tap "Enter" then F10 to save and exit.
         Your computer will automatically reboot. If the computer is able to restart completely then breathe a sigh of relief and do a happy dance. Mine did not. It booted to the Acer logo and would go no further, even after several hours. If this is your situation go to step 2.

2. Order a recovery USB drive from Acer to match your computer.
         https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/
         I chose priority shipping and received the USB drive the next day via FedEx. Others on this forum did not choose priority and say it took up to a month to receive the drive.

3. Once the drive arrives, put it into a USB port, start the computer and immediately and repeatedly tap F12 to enter recovery mode.
         On the next screen you should see two options- Windows boot or USB. Select USB and "Enter."
         After what may take several minutes, you will see a box on top of a blue screen. You will be advised that you will lose all of your data and your computer will be reset to its factory condition. Click "OK" and then the program will look at the image of your computer. If all is good the program will proceed into recovery. I received the infamous 262150 error saying that the program could not find my image. If this is your case, proceed to step 4.

4. Solving the 262150 image not found error:
         A. Restart the computer and immediately and repetitively tap the "Delete" key to enter the bios. 
         B. Click the "Advanced" tab.
         C. Click "Integrated Peripherals."
         D. Click "Onboard SATA Mode."
         E. Select AHCI.
         F. Tap "Enter" and then F10 to save and exit.
         The computer will automatically reboot and when it does immediately and repeatedly tap F12 to re-enter the recovery mode.
         Go back to Step 3 and proceed.

Answers

• MaxTim

Tinkerer

Thank you for your response! However, I cannot boot the computer.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Can you do an alternative F10 boot. If so then restore to the factory.
  • MaxTim

Tinkerer

Holding down ALT+F10 while starting takes me to a blank screen after the Acer logo flashes up. Nothing further happens after (so far) 3 hours.
  • Larryodie
    Sometimes you have to hold ALT & Tap F10 
    Also sometime hold FN, ALT and tap F10
    I never could get the recovery disc to work but per ACER support it is suppose to work in your situation ?

• Larryodie
    edited July 2022
    Being that you can do an F12 and boot a USB disk then this should work. It'll take an hour or so to create. 
    https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11
  • MaxTim

Tinkerer

Putting in the USB recovery and tapping F12 takes me a screen that asks to select the boot device: Windows Boot Manager or UEFI: OEM Recovery USB. If I select Windows then I get a never-ending blank screen. If I select the USB option then I get the Acer logo followed by a blue screen and box that says to click "OK" to restore the factory default. After clicking "OK" the program "checks to see if the Image is available or not" and then promptly gives me the 262150 error described in my original post. 
  • Larryodie
    edited July 2022
    Create this USB disk on another computer then insert in your computer, do an F12 and follow instructions. 

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

Read the BEFORE YOU BEGIN NOTES 

Also if you have a system DVD then it may boot
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    I believe that error shows up because Acer's recovery image expects AHCI mode instead of iRST. Try changing that in the BIOS then retry the recovery image.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MaxTim

Tinkerer

@billsey Where would you make that change in the bios?
  • billsey
    Look for VMD in the newer systems, Intel is rebranding Rapid Storage Technology...
  • MaxTim

Tinkerer

@billsey: Thank you for that information! I have been able to bypass the 262150 error and the system is currently working on the restore process.
  • Larryodie
    @Billsey. Thanks for that information as I have 2 that I couldn't get to work. Is there any way the ACER could update their instructions to modern day ?

• MaxTim

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Thanks to @billsey and others across different threads as well as research, here is the solution to my problem. I'll lay it out here for others who have the same issues in the future, especially those who might be computer illiterate. This is what worked for me, of course your computer may be different.

BACKGROUND: 
    I had Win10 and received a Microsoft pop-up asking if I wanted to upgrade to Win11. I clicked, "Yes." The computer installed Win11 and rebooted, gave an error and then would not boot.

1. Invalid signature error (big red box):
         A. Turn off the computer by holding down the power button for at least five seconds and then re-start the computer. Immediately and continuously tap the "delete" button as it starts  to enter the bios.
         B. Click "Authentication."
         C. Click "Secure Boot" and select "Disabled" then tap "Enter" then F10 to save and exit.
         Your computer will automatically reboot. If the computer is able to restart completely then breathe a sigh of relief and do a happy dance. Mine did not. It booted to the Acer logo and would go no further, even after several hours. If this is your situation go to step 2.

2. Order a recovery USB drive from Acer to match your computer.
         https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/
         I chose priority shipping and received the USB drive the next day via FedEx. Others on this forum did not choose priority and say it took up to a month to receive the drive.

3. Once the drive arrives, put it into a USB port, start the computer and immediately and repeatedly tap F12 to enter recovery mode.
         On the next screen you should see two options- Windows boot or USB. Select USB and "Enter."
         After what may take several minutes, you will see a box on top of a blue screen. You will be advised that you will lose all of your data and your computer will be reset to its factory condition. Click "OK" and then the program will look at the image of your computer. If all is good the program will proceed into recovery. I received the infamous 262150 error saying that the program could not find my image. If this is your case, proceed to step 4.

4. Solving the 262150 image not found error:
         A. Restart the computer and immediately and repetitively tap the "Delete" key to enter the bios. 
         B. Click the "Advanced" tab.
         C. Click "Integrated Peripherals."
         D. Click "Onboard SATA Mode."
         E. Select AHCI.
         F. Tap "Enter" and then F10 to save and exit.
         The computer will automatically reboot and when it does immediately and repeatedly tap F12 to re-enter the recovery mode.
         Go back to Step 3 and proceed.