Acer Predator 315-52 - Intel Turboboost won't stop / Other Win11 Problems

TopHat17
TopHat17 Member Posts: 8 New User
Hello,

I've been having a series of problems with my Acer Predator 315-52 ever since I accidentally updated to Windows 11 and decided to roll with it (which was a few/several months ago). I've been scanning through the threads but it seems like some never got resolved or a new solution wasn't found/posted. One of my attempted fixes was to update the bios (1.12) since some threads said they were fine, which made another problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Problem 1: Possible identified and possible solution

Freezing for 30-60 seconds followed by BSOD when playing certain high large scale games (with large install sizes). My windows refused to make a Memory log (minidump or automatic) everytime and the event viewer simply says Audit drop. My current theory/idea is that the problem here is that the problem is related to the Intel Rapid Storage Tech (iRST), since the BSODs tend to happen only when playing larger scale games and something needs to be loaded which occasionally causes the crash. 

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/667583/predator-helios-300-ph315-52-constant-freezing-blue-screen-crashes/p2

Through this above post, I've been communicating on the process to swap my PC's loading from iRST to ACHI, and I hope that fixes the problem.

Problem 2: Only duct-tape solution, need actual fix

I noticed since I updated my BIOs, my CPU began turboboosting non-stop 100% of the time to the maximum CPU clockspeed of about +4 GHZ, even on idle with minimal CPU usage. This shot up my idle CPU temp from 45-50'ish to 55-70.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/590392/way-overheating-on-acer-predator-helios-300-ph315-52-i5-9th-and-gtx-1660ti/p2

Through the above post, there was a duct-tape solution to go to Processor Power Management in Power plans setting and set it from 100% to 99%. Now my idle CPU temps have returned by to 45-50c, however it looks like it completely turned off Turboboost as a result which means I've lost a lot of potential CPU power which I would need for when I do more demanding CPU processing things.

The post was dated 2020, and there's no official Driver support from Acer for Laptop 315-52 since 2020. Is there any solution to this or is my laptop permanently boned?

Problem 3: No idea what's causing this at all

Related to problem 1 which I mentioned. Whenever my laptop BSODs, there's no windows log for me to check what caused the problem. Checking the Event Viewer, I get related errors like...
  • Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.
  • Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0 
I have no idea what's causing this or any solution I could attempt. I've changed Startup and Recovery settings to try Small Memory Dump (minidump to minidump folder), Kernal Memory Dump, and Automatic Memory Dump. My laptop has been unable to generate a single error log so far from all the BSODs.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,881 Trailblazer
    edited July 2022
    You could have old driver conflicting from your previous win-10 os, as doing an upgrade from win-10 to 11 causes allot of problems. IMO do a clean install of win-11 and start from scratch, download win-11 onto a usb and make sure you have on another usb the "IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver" as you will need this driver through the install to recognize your M.2 boot drive, then go within your win-11 os and go to Recovery > Advanced Startup and boot the laptop into the usb then completely delete all partitions and install the Intel IRST driver and proceed with the clean install of win-11, then install all the windows updates for win-11 and install the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant and run a scan and update all drivers, also update your Nvidia graphics drivers to the latest win-11, also look at your DM and see if any drivers are not installed, as you can get those drivers from the AN515-52 Acer drivers site. As doing all this should make your win-11 work flawlessly (if there are no hardware issues with your laptop?) as the AN515-52 only has win-10 acer drivers hence and why you are getting all these problems that need to be specific win-11 types and not win-10 which your laptop may be conflicting with. If all this doesn't fix your problems then it could be either ram, cou, gpu related and your laptop needs to be analyzed by an experienced tech for any components faults as it could also be a Super IO problem related fault(s). 
  • TopHat17
    TopHat17 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Turns out the problem was solved by unscrewing the back, unscrewing the metal plate covering the Main NVME SSD, remove the tape holding it in place, unplugging the main SSD, a little bit of anti-dust gas canister, plug it back in, and the problems are fixed.