Way-overheating on Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-52 ( i5 9th and gtx 1660ti)

Options
2»

Answers

• chaitanya_bhaskar
    chaitanya_bhaskar Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Me too I have the same problem cpu sits at 93° and GPU at 86° GPU and GPU clock speed fall to 900mhz from 1600 -1700.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,551 Trailblazer
    Options
    Too hot. CPU/GPU probably needs to be re-pasted to the heatsink with high quality paste like Kryonaut or ArcticMX4. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• invador0007
    invador0007 Member Posts: 134 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    If it helps after latest bios update, some feature all core utilization is implemented which is causing turbo clock all the time on CPU cores which is causing higher temperature and there is nothing you can do it for now except lock your CPU to base clock and temperatures will come down subsequently and wait for the bios update to fix this issue.

To check you are on all time turbo clock mode.
    1- open task manger.
    2- go to performance.
    3- click CPU tab and see if it stays at turbo clock all the time and even if not stuck at turbo clock.

Temporary Fix Steps
    1- Go to power options in control panel.
    2- select balanced plan.
    3- click change plan setting of balanced mode.
    4- click change advanced power settings.
    5- scroll down to processor power management > maximum power state > set (on battery and plugged in to 99% from 100%).
    6- Apply and close.
    7- make sure windows default battery quick setting on taskbar is set to better performance(middle one) not on best performance or better battery.

It'll lower the performance of the system but keeps it from over heating till the permanent fix is available through drivers or bios update from Acer that's all, i hope it helps.

• chaitanya_bhaskar
    chaitanya_bhaskar Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    JackE
    Thank you I will do it after my warranty expires.
    invador0007
    thanks for your info 👍

• Bertanx
    Bertanx Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    Things that helped me:
    1- Repasting the thermal paste
    2- Undervolting the CPU
    3- Cleaning all the accumulated dust from the fans
    4- Having the back of the laptop tilted up to allow heat to escape
    5- Minimizing the number of background tasks running
  • JackE
    Options
    Good suggestions! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 2root2
    2root2 Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>> any one of you face a spike in temps as soon as you switch  on AC power ??>>>

Yes because performance mode only kicks in with full power to the CPU/GPU when the laptop is plugged in. Jack E/NJ
    Yes me. My spikes in temp are very high. Recently my laptop at started overheating while charging, but not as hot when not charging. GPU temps go upto 80 degrees C even though I'm just browsing and not doing any intensive task. CPU also goes upto 90 degrees C, but im not doing anything on the laptop. I have to put it on max fans and coolboost all the time when plugged in. 
    I have the same issue , i even registered a complaint against it but now they are taking advantage of the lockdown and cancelling the request right before warranty expires
  • JackE
    Options
    Go to this link and enter your machine's serial number id (SNID) and arrange for warranty repair ASAP. Do it again, if you have already tried it once. https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/support

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ